Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Tigers Radio Team News « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally, some good news. Not the victory I was hoping for, which would have been Jim Price being let go, but a good start nonetheless. He's one of the worst broadcasters I've ever listened to in any sport. Here's the story:

Price limited to Tigers color
Tom Gage / The Detroit News
No more "touch 'em all."

The Tigers are making changes in the broadcast booth as well as on the field this offseason.

None of their announcers has been traded or released, but the radio lineup is going to be different.

Jim Price, whose signature call is "touch 'em all," won't be doing play-by-play anymore.

Dan Dickerson will be doing all nine innings, and more if needed -- with Price providing color commentary.

No reason has been announced for the change.

Dickerson hasn't previously done all nine innings for a full season.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071215/SPORT S0104/712150341

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mind him actually

Cartoonguy
Username: Cartoonguy

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who often listens to other teams' announcer over the internet, Jim Price is pretty darn good, and Dan Dickerson is one of the best in the business.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 276
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's a Zubor? Thank goodness Price is back to doing color only, he was horrible at play-by-play. Dickerson is pretty good, let him do the whole nine.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 837
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got really tired of being told about the number of people in the seats, and what prank had just gone on in the dugout. It will be nice to hear a full 9 innings of baseball.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that Jim Price was terrible back in the late 90's when the Tigers were collapsing. Now that I can hear them on XM, I think Price has improved dramatically. I actually enjoyed even his play by play for the past couple of years. I think he and Dickerson make a pretty good team. We have been very lucky with Detroit announcers over the years for TV and radio. I personally loved George Kell's style. XM always carries the home team's feed, so I've had to listen to a lot of other announcers do Tiger games, and there are some TERRIBLE announcing teams out there. The Twins, Indians and Mariners especially.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JESUS H. CHRIST, THANK GOD!
FREE AT LAST ... FREE AT LAST ... THANK GOD ALMIGHTY WE'RE FREE AT LAST!

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Harper's comments. More Dickerson, less Price. I'll miss him telling us about how when HE was a catcher... every other inning.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1045
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has he ever announced a game where he didn't mention he was on the 1968 team?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1709
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bear no malice toward Jim Price, but I must say, with great enthusiasm and hard emphasis, this bit of news prompts a very long sigh of relief from me.
"And they're very intelligent, too, catchers are. Have I mentioned that before, Dan?"

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bunch of killjoys. So Price didn't broadcast the way some of you like. Hell I did not like him all the time.

But he knows the game. And he enjoys broadcasting_ why would any of you begrudge anyone that?

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i got spoiled with earnie&paul, hey to me dickerson&price are better then rizz&rashbuns.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Price is a weenie! If there were no off-season, and I had to listen to his broadcasts 12 months a year, I think I`d shoot my pc. Imagine, I even have to pay to hear him on the `net! One more story about Kaline or anything else about the `68 Tigers and my head is going to explode! Only loyalty to the homies prohibits my listening to the other broadcast team.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you know, folks, back when Price was on the 1968 Tigers World Series team, Ernie did the broadcast... :-)

"TOUCH 'EM ALL!" They hit a grand slam outta the park by relegating that sorry 1968 bench-warmer back to bench duty.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And he enjoys broadcasting_ why would any of you begrudge anyone that?

I'm sure Brandon Inge enjoys batting but that doesn't mean anybody wants to see him do it.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, cheddar-bob. I enjoy singing karaoke as well and I don't think you guys want to hear it though.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1716
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oooh Cheddar_bob I love Inge but that was a good one

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is BY FAR the Tigers' best offseason move.
Now if they'll just bring back "Turn Back the Clock Night."

About once a month would be nice.

Are you listening, Mike Healy?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Inge, too. There just was no one else in the lineup that I could use that analogy with.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news! I love Dickerson, but I can't stand Price doing play-by-play. It seems like he's always off on a tangent and doesn't really even give you the play-by-play call.

He reminds me of Uncle Rico, "Back in '82, I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile"

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy Dan Dickerson's play-by-play announcing and I think Jim Price will do good as a color man.

Hornist9
Username: Hornist9

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather hear Jim Price than Rick Rizz and Bob Rashburn. Touch em' all is not as bad as Bye Bye, Baseball...

Thinking back on it after Bo probably listened to replays of Bob Ufer doing the Michigan games all those years, no wonder he canned Ernie for those Rah Rah clowns. No more "Dr. Strange Hayes".

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4424
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Price is a really nice guy but unfortunately broadcast is not his strength. He fell into it somehow and because he is such a nice guy, I don't think anyone has the heart to give him the heave-ho.

This move is probably the first step, along with his advancing years, to hand him the gold watch.

His style was always too sleepy and his color[less] commentary always made me feel like he was talking to a child who was just learning about baseball, repeating the obvious about what happened rather than what was going to happen.

In the latter respect, I always liked Al Kaline. By contrast he was alway two steps ahead of the game, letting us see what was coming and almost always correct. This overcame his otherwise dull voice.

Rod Allen is likewise baseball prescient and with Mario I. is, IMO, the best combination of play-by-play and commentary who are developing their own fun terms like Rod's "Mr. Snappy".

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 968
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Play by Play with Jim Price was frustrating, you never know whats going on. As a color guy he was mediocre, but since he has been part of the Tiger team fo so long you get used to him.
This warm weather has me thinking baseball, spring training is almost a month away.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a spring training package, I live in Central Florida and lakeland is only 45 minutes away. I love Joker Stadium

Hornist9

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell wrote:I

"In the latter respect, I always liked Al Kaline. By contrast he was alway two steps ahead of the game, letting us see what was coming and almost always correct. This overcame his otherwise dull voice".

I agree Lowell. I remember Kaline was so very stiff when he first started with George Kell. Do you remember his big phrase was "Oh, absolutely, George". He got so much better as the years went on, Kaline brought great insight to the broadcasts.

Having done a little radio in college, I sympathized with Kaline. I think he had to work through some stage fright in the beginning.

There was a young man that I went to college with that so desperately wanted to be a sports announcer, but his voice was so grating as if he were running is fingernails across a chalkboard. He did become a decent engineer, though.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 970
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hearing Al say the name of the ex Baltimore O's player Al Bumbry was priceless, he never could say it right.
When I was a kid I got to attend Al Kaline Day, it was a great childhood memory.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4425
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornist9 the moment in my memory when Al Kaline [bless his soul] established the fact not a radio man was the Disco Demolition day at Comisky Park. George Kell fell apart too. Here was a BIG news story and they were like deer in the headlights fumbling for words instead of jumping into reporting.

For those young'ns not familiar, ex-Detroit radio DJ Steve Dahl, staged a "Disco Demolition" event. The struggling White Sox with excentric owner Bill Veeck ["as in Wreck"] were open to anything that might fill some seats back then. 45 RPM records with Disco music, that the hard rock crowd hated with a passion back then, were distributed with intention of their destruction. Soon they were sailing around the stadium and a mini riot erupted as fans took over the field with "Disco Sucks" signs and more.

Now memorialized on YouTube, I notice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =o-fEtF9NKfc

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, if you don't want to pay to hear the Tigers radiocast on the internet, try this station. It's an affiliate out of Archbold, Ohio. It's independently owned so I think they may get around the pay-to-listen thing on the internet.

http://www.961wmtr.com/

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, January 07, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I just remember Kell & Kaline kept calling him David "Boo-wee" not Bowie. The Bird was supposed to pitch game 2, which that night was probably the major disappointment. I watched the whole thing unfold as a young teenager, also disappointed I couldn't watch Fidrych.

As for Jim Price, I like his pitcher-catcher battery analysis. Can't say much for his delivery, but his insight from behind the plate gives much more insight into what pitch, given the count, can be expected and how the batter (or catcher) can react. I never got this analysis from Ernie.

Hornist9

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a fun night! I watched that "event" unfurl with my Dad. We sat and laughed, cussed and generally had a good time. I had to explain why some people thought Disco Sucks...

Lowell was right, George and Al had no clue whatsoever. They were appalled that the game wasn't going to be played.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.