Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » A blizzard is coming! « Previous Next »
Archive through December 15, 2007Detroitrise29 12-15-07  12:17 pm
Archive through December 15, 2007Clark1mt27 12-15-07  5:03 pm
Archive through December 15, 2007Pffft30 12-15-07  11:31 pm
Archive through December 16, 2007Everydayislikesunday30 12-16-07  11:02 am
Archive through December 16, 2007Detroitrise30 12-16-07  2:49 pm
Archive through December 16, 2007Danny30 12-16-07  8:25 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 841
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never seem something like this before...
As I stand here looking out the window, here is a caravan of snow removal vehicles easily more than 1 mile long turning from Russell onto Gratiot. They all headed into downtown.

The caravan has been rolling for about 10 minutes, and I still dont see the end. It stetches up gratiot from inside 375 up gratiot and all the way as far as I can see up Russell. This is really quite a sight!

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 337
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,
I'm in Florence. My family is from Paducah though. Grandfather worked at the Illinois Central shops.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4178
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, Dstar. Is there a DPW garage up on Russell/vicinity?

Probably one entire shift going out, and aiming to clear the downtown streets and sidewalks before Monday.

Or they're being called out to Ann Arbor to fill in during that city's apparent DPW strike.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 842
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, as I strain to see as much of downtown as possible, it appears that here is 1 plow, 1 front end loader, and 2 haul trucks in that sequence through the whole parade. Looks like a coordinated effort to make the morning commute more accessible in the CBD.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MAckinaw, I was thinking the latter. You must have a clear city center for a Monday Morning!
I guess Ann Arbor doesn't know the meaning of that though. They have such an excellent economy and downtown and treats it like nothing.

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd-

Don't you mean Florence, y'all? (big old watertower!
Illinois Central shops as in railroad, I presume?

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe the schools are closed. Come on - the snow stopped by 3 p.m. There's no reason the major streets and bus routes can't be clear by 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3371
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, my wife is a teacher for over 20 years now, she is shocked her district is closed.

Dfd

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Florence Ya'll.
The IC shops opened around 1926 they built and overhauled locomotives. By around 1980 they were pretty much empty.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/m ap.adp?searchtype=address&coun try=US&addtohistory=&searchtab =home&formtype=address&popflag =0&latitude=&longitude=&name=& phone=&level=&cat=&address=&ci ty=&state=&zipcode=42001

They are on Kentucky Ave between 16th and Walter Jetton.
How do we show a long web address as a link?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How do we show a long web address as a link?

Easy, as an example, just type the following, but with no spaces:
\newurl {http://www.mapquest.com,Mapque st}

You should get this:
Mapquest

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like it's snowing again on the westside (LUCKY!), this time a lake effect snow shower.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw no that is not GP its much further north almost at the northern point of Lake Saint Clair by Anchorville.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4182
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah the more I looked at the shoreline the more I doubted what I had said. Beautiful sight either way.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11135
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That caravan of city trucks dumps their catch at the empty lot kitty-korner from Roma Cafe...and run by my bedroom window all night long.

They would be rhythmically idling me to a wonderful deep hypnotic sleep save for that g-d front-end loader that has to run in REVERSE. Gotta love that piercing BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP!

Yet another gift from OSHA...I'd trade a few flattened stupid people for a good few more hour's sleep!

Dfd

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried that and got this

The formatting code newurl requires 2 argument(s); you provided only 1 argument(s).

?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD,

It sounds like you forgot to include the comma that separates the URL address (the first argument) and the text that you want to display as the hyperlink (the second argument).

Example (with two embedded spaces to enable me to show you the formatting, omit the spaces when you type your link):

\ newurl{http:// detroityes.com,click here}
click here

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Monday, December 17, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the FAQ, Hyperlinks:
quote:

\newurl{URL, text description} Link to URL in new window with text description

http://tinyurl.com/ is also a big help with long web addresses.

(Message edited by Jimaz on December 17, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4190
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews /display_story.php?wfo=dtx&sto ryid=11659&source=0

There's a partial list of recent snow storms to show illustrate that storms like the recent one aren't completely infrequent, but also not as rare as some of you with limited memory make it out to be.

Notably absent from that list are the December 2000 storms, which must not have cracked 8" at DTW, but there was one week where the city had 10-12 inches on a monday and then 6 more on Thursday. It in the second week of the month, but that Christmas was very white, and the days leading up to Christmas were extremely cold (with one day barely reaching above 0 for a high).

Dfd

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

click here

I did it! I guess I won't throw the computer through the windshield of my Subaru.

Dfd

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help.
So anyway, is there any melting of the snow?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 353
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd-

My son lives in Paducah proper, right down by the courthouse. He's a great kid and I'm very proud of him. He is quite successful there and the only thing I don't like about him being there is the distance.

Paducah is kind of a unique town, filled with history and many touristy type things. My wife and I spent a few days there once and were mesmerized by the amount of shipping going on on the river! I tell you, I saw just about every type of tug, barge and ship that I have ever seen there, second only to our tour of the Port of Savannah in 2006.

We ate at Cohen's downtown and the rest of the restaurants and stores that we visited were really cool, too.

We are looking forward to a return trip, possibly this summer. I will check out the link you provided then. Is there a repair "roundhouse" or something similar there? If so, it would really be cool to take a tour!

To answer your question about the snow, no, it hasn't melted yet, although they are calling for a high of 42 this Saturday! I'm guessing it may start the melt by then!

Thanks for the education on the Illinois Central! One of the reasons that I always check this site out!

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From an earlier post...
I also heard thunder around 3am in Ferndale

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3490
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thundersnow is groovy. I heard it too.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard thunder, too! Was there lightning as well??

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11143
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to check the history of thunder in winter storms.

If 'they' were supercharging the atmosphere in order to manipulate the weather...there would be greater lingering potential between the clouds and ground.

Isn't it usually the case that the moisture in the air during snowstorms is just not enough to support lightning? Surely there aren't thunderclaps without them.

The thing I saw certainly looked like a huge fireball instead of a lightning strike, roughly a few blocks west and south of Van Dyke and Lafayette, 2:45 a.m.

I really DID think a scrapper got scrapped!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2155
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snow depth:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/sno w_model/images/full/National/n sm_depth/200712/nsm_depth_2007 121805_National.jpg

Plymouthres

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Gannon! Not "them" again...........!

Dfd

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres,
I've been making the occasional trips to Paducah since I was a kid (1960s). It is an interesting city. I think it has suffered similarly to Detroit but on a small scale. It's hey day was probably the 40s and 50s. There were many factories along the river where the Executive Inn is now. They stretched north along the river. Some remain empty but some were repaired and used by other companies. If you worked at the IC shops you had it made, with pay, retirement, private hospital on Broadway (between 15th and 16th I think). I believe the round house was dismantled.
Next trip, go to Starne's BBQ at N 28th St and Ross Ave! That little restaurant has remained as it was back in the day. Same color, counter, recipe etc.
Didn't mean to get off the subject of the storm. Sorry.
Be careful up there.
IC Hospital

Plymouthres

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd-

Awesome link!! I'll be checking that out more later. What a great read.

We will get to Starne's next trip, for sure. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

I forgot to mention the Riverwalk and the murals! Quite a story and those floodgates are something to behold.

Sorry to all for the threadjack!

Dfd

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the weather?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cloudy and 32F downtown. No foreseeable Snow or Ice storm in the future. If anything, we will be seeing fall like weather on the first and second day of weather with drizzle and fog.

Dfd

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bumping this thread due to the New Year's Eve/Day forecast. Snowfall predictions anywhere from 6-12 inches. Grab your shovels!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! It's Rain mixed with Snow in the city! I hate the friggin weather!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4686
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news media need to always talk blizzards. It's New Year's midnight, and it's only raining here.

Last year at this time, the newspapers and other media were rehashing old stock footage about the People Mover and about how soon it could be before Detroit had rapid transit...

Whatever solid precip we get will be gone the first few days the high temps get above freezing.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4687
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and about a thousand gunshots have gone off in the past ten minutes and it's now as noisy as it was ten minutes ago...

The radar shows slightly increasing temps (i.e., rain--no snow) here.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on January 01, 2008)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're not overdoing this at all. It just sucks to live in Detroit in these weather events. Someone out near Ann Arbor in Saline has 3.2 inches within 2 hours so far.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's gonna cool off here in the city and along the lake soon. We'll get plenty of snow in the end...we don't want to break our backs shoveling this sort of wet snow, do we? Save the big amounts for Ann Arbor. It's gonna be 50 degrees this weekend. Our weather is a strange combination of Denver and Long Island NY lately. Rapid shifts in air mass, and snowpacks that don't stick around for long.

The gunshots and fireworks weren't as bad as some recent years at over at Mack/Warren/Marseilles. Mostly it was the neighbors here on the GP side being obnoxious.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4688
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoopy! Snowing at a rate of 1.6 in/hr in winter with temps just above freezing...

Much of that precip will sublime or melt by the time many resume working after being off the past two weeks.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 inches downtown last I check. Looks like all she wrote too. I hate being in Detroit during this type of weather. Just NW of here, they got a foot or more.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastpointe barely got an inch.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4692
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The yard shed next door has less than an inch of snow on it. Maybe the wind blew the rest off.

Doesn't seem windy, yet. It looks deeper on the grass. However, we know that's mostly empty space. And probably melting/sublimating from the earth's heat being released.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 172
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the halfway mark between Lake Orion and Romeo, I'm looking at maybe 12"-14".
Glad it's on a holiday and not a workday. I have a 50 mile round trip on rural roads to and from work.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6922
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY WINTER STORM! to ring in the New Year.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4256
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/di splay_event.php?file=snow20080 1010938

Truly impressive stratification of weather around here. There is only 1 inch or so here in grosse pointe...but they're reporting 4 inches downtown...7-8 in western Wayne...10-12 in Ann Arbor, and nearly a foot and a half in northern OC.

They weren't kidding when they told you life was easier on the East side.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WTF, I didn't want the easier life! This stuff would make me leave the D right away. I'm going to Grand Rapids!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is normally how it works in a stormy, not so cold winter. If cold air had been in place and a storm took that track, a heavy band of snow could have hit the city itself. It will balance out a bit at some point with colder storms later in the year.

It never even made it below freezing! You can't expect the snow to pile up in that.

I was moving slush when I went out to shovel the porch.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that. That's why it initially began as rain (until one intense band came through and wet bulbed the snow).

Then again, I've seen all snow fall at 41 degrees here.

The city always misses out on the good weather (pun intended). The last time the city got the most snow was in the blizzard of '05 (12-14 inches).

(Message edited by DetroitRise on January 01, 2008)

Mikeg

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I measured 7 inches of fresh snowfall here in Shelby Twp. near 22 Mile Rd. and Van Dyke.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 11 inches in my front yard at 25 and Schoenherr

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With 40 degree temperatures coming Friday and the weekend, it's all gonna go away (hopefully slowly) ...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6030
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We only have about 1 inch on 11 Mile & Little Mack in St. Clair Shores.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Brandon/Clarkston/Ortonville area here 15 inches is probably accurate, and more is coming down right now. I have my fingers crossed for a snow day tomorrow.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.