Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Annual Downtown Historic Church Tour, December 29 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2634
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Historic Churches Tour 2007, Saturday, December 29, 10am

Sponsored by the Downtown Historic Churches Association and hosted by Historic Trinity Lutheran, this annual historic churches tour features a morning tour of Historic Trinity Lutheran followed by lunch and then an afternoon bus tour of 4 additional churches. There are three tour groups, one of which must be selected when making your reservation: Tour A: St. Charles Borromeo Catholic, Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian, St. John Episcopal, and St. Joseph Catholic; Tour B: Sweetest Heart of Mary Catholic, First Congregational, St. Albertus Catholic, and Central United Methodist; and Tour C: Mariners, Holy Trinity Catholic, Second Baptist, and St. Josaphat.

Buses leave Historic Trinity Lutheran at 12 noon and return at 4:15. Secure parking is provided.

Tickets are $20; payment by check or credit card. Call 313-567-3100 or fax 313-567-3209 or use the form at: https://www.historictrinityinc .org/dhcatour.html

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 321
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, thanks for posting. My mom works at the Lutheran Church back home and receives the newsletter from Trinity. She's always wanted to see it. I will pass the information on!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4192
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would highly recommend anybody that has not seen these places go on this tour. I had a class at CCS where we went to a different one each week to study the architecture. We were even able to get into Churches that had been closed for some time. Absolutely amazing, WELL worth the $20. I paid a lot more than that! (sob)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4193
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I heard my teacher for that class, Dr. Dorothy, passed some some years ago. A great loss for the city, that woman loved it deeply.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's great to put the churches on display all at once like that, but I'd much rather look at them individually and go to services at each one. It's a much better way to appreciate the space (and its acoustics if you're into that)...and it's free.

Surprised that there's no Old St. Mary or St. Aloysius.

Enjoy the tour, though.

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking forward to it - I mailed in my form a few days ago for Tour A.
Also going on the Boston-Edison home tour this Sunday.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Papermoon!! I'm doing both tours as well. 1:20 Sunday for Boston Edison. Tour A for the Churches.

Mackinaw: Agreed that it is highly desirable to visit and enjoy each church individually during services, and I've visited dozens of churches that way. Unfortunately, many of the older churches are on a tight budget these days, and so turn out lights within minutes of the end of the service, making photos difficult. Plus on these tours you often get some of the behind the scenes looks that a visitor attending services misses. Hence this is a great option, especially at Christmas to see the churches decorated for the season.

Papermoon

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen,
3:40 for me for the B-E tour.
I'll be looking for you on tour A!

Papermoon

Kathleen

Post Number: 2638
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terrific!! I'll try to remember to wear my DetroitYes badge.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4152
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points, Kathleen.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tip.
I'll be on Tour B.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although it's not part of this particular downtown church tour (not sure why), I would also recommend historic Christ Church Detroit--located on Jefferson just a couple blocks east of RenCen.

It houses the largest stained glass window in the state of MI. While visiting Detroit (from CA) at Easter, I attended services there. Great music & a very welcoming, inclusive, diverse group of parishioners amongst a beautiful nave.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2640
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christ Church doesn't happen to be on the tour this year, but they are a member of the Downtown Historic Churches Association per this list from the webpage hosted by Historic Trinity (http://www.historictrinityinc. org/dhcamembers.html):

The Downtown Historic Churches Association of Detroit meets periodically. A tour of member churches takes place the last Saturday of the year and is a day-long event.

For additional information, email Historic Trinity, Inc.

Member churches are:

Cathedral Church of St. Paul
4800 Woodward Avenue
Detroit MI 48201

Central United Methodist
23 East Adams
Detroit MI 48226

Christ Church
960 E. Jefferson Avenue
Detroit MI 48207

First Congregational
33 E. Forest
Detroit MI 48201

Fort Street Presbyterian
631 W. Fort Street
Detroit MI 48226

Historic Trinity Lutheran Church
1345 Gratiot Avenue
Detroit MI 48207

Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian Church
8625 East Jefferson
Detroit MI 48214

Mariners Church
170 E. Jefferson
Detroit MI 48226

Metropolitan Methodist
8000 Woodward
Detroit MI 48202

Most Holy Trinity
1050 Porter
Detroit MI 48226

Old St. Mary's
646 Monroe Street
Detroit MI 48226

Plymouth United Church of Christ
600 E. Warren Avenue
Detroit MI 48201

Second Baptist Church
441 Monroe Avenue
Detroit MI 48226

St. Aloysuis Church
1234 Washington Boulevard
Detroit MI 482286

St. Anne Catholic
1000 St. Anne Street
Detroit MI 48216

St. Charles Catholic Church
1491 Baldwin
Detroit MI 48226

St. John's Episcopal
50 E. Fisher Freeway
Detroit MI 48201

St. Joseph Church
1828 Jay Street
Detroit MI 48207

Sts. Peter & Paul Jesuit Church
629 E. Jefferson
Detroit MI 48226

Sweetest Heart of Mary
4800 Russell
Detroit MI 48201

Only 12 churches plus Historic Trinity are on the tours each year. Not sure how they alternate year to year, or if they do.

Onthe405
Username: Onthe405

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much Kathleen. This gives me a great resource & list to work from for future trips to the Detroit area.

In the past 5 years or so, I have become quite a church architecture/history aficionado, and act as a docent of sorts for my home parish, chartered in 1897.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2641
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the subject of Christ Church Episcopal at E. Jefferson and I-75, this Freep article in today's paper discusses the recently completed renovations there:

Updating the Detroit classics: Church shows how to mesh old, new

"Sometimes the most appropriate new building for downtown Detroit's renovation is an old building that's already there.

Consider Christ Church on Jefferson Avenue just east of the Renaissance Center. It is the oldest Protestant church in Michigan still at its original location. The grounds include five separate buildings constructed from the 1840s to the mid-20th Century, including the 1840s-era Sibley House and the Gothic-inspired church from the 1860s designed by architect Gordon Lloyd.

With so many pieces added over the years, it's no surprise that the different elements didn't mesh so well, said David Coleman, head of the church's building committee. There were constricted passageways, cramped entrances and awkward changes in level because of the sloping terrain from Jefferson down to the river.

But the congregation never gave a single thought to moving somewhere else. Instead, it raised $2 million to commission a renovation that created new interior circulation and a new entrance off the rear of the church, where most of the parking is now. The renovations were dedicated Sunday.
..."

Full article at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071215/BUS INESS04/712150301/1002/BUSINES S

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? No Ste. Anne's on the tour? Sacrilege.

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the good things about Historic Trinity Lutheran is that those folks know their Parducci. Not as well as some, but a lot better than most. Don't miss CP's Luther guarding the parking lot and the interior work is some of CP's best. What was the question again? eeek

Kathleen

Post Number: 2680
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This year's Downtown Historic Church Tour event was well attended. Dr. David Eberhard greeted us at Historic Trinity Lutheran and talked about his church before we broke for lunch and then the afternoon tours. I was on Tour A that took us to St. Charles Borromeo Catholic, Jefferson Avenue Presbyterian, St. John Episcopal, and St. Joseph Catholic churches. All beautifully decorated for the holidays, each church was interesting for its history and artisanship.

Dr. Eberhard did explain that each year all 20+ churches in the Association are sent a letter asking if they want to participate in the holiday tour event. Some decline because they don't have anyone to open the church and provide a short overview; others don't bother to respond. That's why some churches are not on the tour schedule.

Per Carptrash's note above, I did make it a point to look for the Luther Tower and the figure of Martin Luther by Parducci:

CPLuther

The carvings over the front door are also quite beautiful. I imagine that those are also the work of Parducci. (Is that right, Carptrash?)

FrontDoor

Nice to meet Papermoon and spouse on the tour!!

Kathleen

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More Parducci work from Historic Trinity Lutheran:

altar1

altar2

Papermoon

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tour was fascinating. Our historic churches are truly a treasure.

A pleasure to meet you, too, Kathleen!

Papermoon

Kathleen

Post Number: 2688
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...hoping for confirmation that the exterior sculptures are all Parducci.

Link to the Model D slideshow of photos by Dave Krieger: http://www.modeldmedia.com/pho toessays/holytrinity/ht01.aspx #

Link to the Model D article on Historic Trinity Lutheran: http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/holytrinity9307.aspx

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.