Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Ju-par records « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 592
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13801 West Eight mile rd. I picked up Livin Proof record album at the Record Collector in Ferndale. The 'hit' on the record is a song titled "You and I", it has that funky seventies soul sound. It came out in 78? Are any of you familiar with ju-par and the artists? Besides Fortune Records and Motown what other local labels were- are there?

Terryh

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are any of you familiar with the group Livin'Proof?

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try posting on soulful detroit if you don't get a hit here.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www1.gemm.com/c/search. pl?field=ARTIST+OR+TITLE&wild= livin%27+proof&Go%21.x=16&Go%2 1.y=4

Try this link

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TerryH, I am giving you my best advice; turn back NOW! I am a Detroit record addict, and I can tell you that there were hundreds of labels. If you start looking now, you will never stop. It will consume your life. I actually quit doing drugs and drinking to finance my record habit!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4367
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The recording industry of sixties in Detroit similar was to the the web revolution of the nineties. Dropping prices of the equipment needed to record and mix records made it possible for small players to get into the game. The authorities on this era, all to be found on our sister site, www.SoulfulDetroit.com, tell of hundreds of labels as studios sprung up in basements, garages and storefronts, mostly clustered in the Grand River, Grand Blvd., Hamilton, Davidson quadrant. The success of Motown fed the frenzy and Detroit sat atop the pop culture world of music.

Start with the 'Crown Jewel' tour on soulfuldetroit.

Terryh

Post Number: 601
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! great!great! Thank you very much. I picked up my first Fortune album-Fortune of hits featuring Noel Strong and the Diablos. Im going to register on the Fortune records site!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1944
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is anyone here familiar with the Prescott label from Detroit? I know of one very obscure LP on Prescott from 1957, and recently ran across a record of "Wixie" from WXYZ TV on the same label. Anyone know more?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 891
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman,
Marv Welch told me that the Prescott label was created only for Wixie records and that it was named for the old PRescott telephone exchange. Both 45 an 78 RPM Wixie records were pressed.

What are the songs on your Wixie record? I'm missing a couple of them.

What artist is on the LP?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed-G, my Prescott album is not a Wixie record, it is "Ed Gress plays the Detroit Fox" (theater) Wurlitzer Organ. LP, 1957.
It had always been assumed that Ed self-produced the album, perhaps Prescott did some contract pressing/production work to pay the bills.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh, Fortune is the great lost legendary label of Detroit. And Nolan Strong... he shoulda had Smokey Robinson's career...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.