Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Weird SMART bus stop relocation downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 951
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a SMART service bulletin, which (apologies to Dave Barry) I swear to God I am not making up:

"EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY due to falling debris the SMART bus stop on northbound Shelby between Lafayette and Michigan has been temporarily moved about one block south on the southeast corner of Shelby and Lafayette."

Falling debris? Anybody down there lately can post what's going on? That is across the street from the hotel/condo construction, so it can't be that, I hope.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7252
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Lafayette Building.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6874
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's for safety concerns for SMART bus patrons.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh goodness, now the Lafayette building is falling down.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4131
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it is rejecting the gross tiles stuck to the side of it.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be falling ice?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, the temperature is 36 degrees and it's raining...

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Therefore, melting ice, which would make chunks of it more likely to fall.

Professorscott

Post Number: 952
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The notice is dated Dec. 5, and I don't think it was raining Dec. 5, so I am not sure if it's ice.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, um, my point was that it hasn't been cold enough or heavy enough precip for any huge icicles to form and cause that much of an issue.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 11, 2007)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've walked by the Lafayette Building many times when there are those saw-horse looking barriers around certain areas - I've seen those out for the past 10 years I've worked downtown.

The Lafayette losing pieces of facade is not new news... I'm sure it's exacerbated by the water/ice melting. Just means that something needs to be done about it - especially with the shiny new Book Cadillac across the street, I would think that pressure to take some sort of action would probably ratchet up.

(Before you flame me, I know that it's a facade. And it may not be an indication of it being structurally unsound. However, to non-building normal people, pieces of building falling off is very, very bad and needs to be dealt with, and just blocking off the sidewalk isn't an acceptable solution).

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5236
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if someone is hurt or killed from falling debris, who is held responsible? Who owns the building?

Tear dat schitt down.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we need more surface lots in Downtown Detroit.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5237
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could put an Ikea there lol.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can use a Grocery Store in downtown, but I don't see any of them rushing down to build on those lots.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't tear it down... if anything, let the elements take hold and reveal the original facade.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gsgeorge, I think this is the first time I've heard someone advocat restoration by neglect!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 441
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

only in Detroit, Crew.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"don't tear it down... if anything, let the elements take hold and reveal the original facade."

If my memory serves me correctly, the facade modifications are only on the lower two levels or so. I would imagine that any falling debris would have to be from much higher up to injure someone.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slight diversion of subject:

The weirdest SMART bus stop I've seen lately has been on 13 mile road east of Telegraph. No place for the riders to stand at all. The sign was on the road and the only place to wait for the bus was in the drainage ditch.

Discouraging for all those dependent on mass transit in metro Detroit.

> We will now return you to your regular thread <

Professorscott

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Dhugger, as the originator of this thread I will accept that topic as a friendly thread diversion, since I think we've said all there is to say about shit falling off buildings downtown.

The stops on the 560 once you get out into the exurbs are nothing to crow about - you're standing on the grass off the road, no sidewalks, and no overhead lights so you're lucky if the driver can see you at night. Still, not as bad as what you describe.

Anyone got any other really bad bus stops?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.