Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Major facade improvement on Broadway « Previous Next »
Archive through December 11, 2007Rjlj30 12-11-07  7:56 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 500
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I never thought I'd live to see this one. That was the first building on Broadway that I noticed had a major issue w/ a masking. I'll have to swing by tomorrow. Thanks for bringing this to attention! :-)

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is safe to say that the reason this type of "modernization" was so prevalent was a combination of both Skulker's economic argument and danindc's modernization argument.

Don't forget this was done across the country, so it’s not just a Detroit economic issue, though I am sure that similar economic woes can be applied to many other cities.

I have personally worked on a building that was covered in this manner, and had marble ornamentation that was smashed off flush with the brick to get the aluminum wrap over the facade. Upon inspection I do not believe there was any pig iron used, it was strictly a masonry installation. So in that case the building was covered for the sake of "modernization."

That stretch of Broadway has some awesome architecture, its great to see another cool façade joining the pack. I often wondered what was behind that metal.

Does anyone know if this is a result of one of the city’s façade grants?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to me that the top level (3) was bigger than the second level. Does it run over into the next building to the right?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5880
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the additional info Dan and Dan!

As has been stated... this is not a Detroit only phenomenon.

...now just wondering what other aluminum facades around the city are hiding some hidden gems. I bet that the block with the American and National Coney Islands has some beauties hidden under all that metal...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The National Coney Island??? You're showing your 'burb'ness! :-)

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if the facade work had anything to do with the renovation to the Lafer Building across the street? I know Mercier Development received funding to restore the facade of that building.

Either way this was one that bothered me for a while and is sure to look 100 times better without that nasty siding.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look like scrappers to me...

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3852
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lack of will to maintain one's property--especially when life and limb are at stake--is not a good excuse.

Will does not equal cash. That is a fact of life that seems to be conveniently forgotten when assessing others actions with old buildings.

I'd like to see the folks who complain about building owners have the "will" to leave their jobs and go buy the buildings and do it themselves. Where there's a will theres a way right?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Will does not equal cash. That is a fact of life that seems to be conveniently forgotten when assessing others actions with old buildings.

I'd like to see the folks who complain about building owners have the "will" to leave their jobs and go buy the buildings and do it themselves. Where there's a will theres a way right?

If building owners don't have the cash to properly maintain their buildings, then they shouldn't own the building, plain and simple. There's such a thing as managing one's resources, and then there's public safety. Of course, it doesn't help when the City implicitly condones neglect by refusing to enforce building codes. Is it cheaper to maintain the building, or to get hit with a wrongful death lawsuit?

I'm sure glad Detroit has fine public servants like Skulker willing to risk the lives of its citizenry just so millionaire building owners can effectively practice their slumlording.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 437
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Agreed Skulker.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you post pics anyway? There's no help page for these forums that I can find.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Continue to sit your fat lazy michigan azz in front of your suburban computer

I'm really LOLin now. That comment was classic!

Danindc

Post Number: 3813
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How do you post pics anyway? There's no help page for these forums that I can find.

Go up to the menu bar above this thread, and click on the "help" button at the right end.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2234
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh DaninDC, STFU. "Risk the lives of their citizenry," "millionaire slumlords." Whatever.

For anyone who doesn't feel like arguing about whether or not people should post pictures, or who thinks there might possibly have been multiple reasons why these facades were covered up, here is an update from earlier today.

For the record, I believe that building had a for sale sign on it not too long ago. I don't remember for sure if that was the one along there, but it's possible there are new owners. I don't think it had anything to do with the building across the street being renovated.

photo for non-douchebags

Danindc

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh DaninDC, STFU. "Risk the lives of their citizenry," "millionaire slumlords." Whatever.

Maybe you'd prefer to forward that comment to the families of people who have been killed by facade elements falling from derelict buildings. I mean, building owners can't be bothered with nonsensical bullshit like building maintenance, right? If, God forbid, something ever hits you on the head, I'll be sure to tell you to "STFU".

I know a building owner who spent over $2 million the past 2 years because there was a very real danger of bricks falling off the facade and endangering pedestrians. Mind you, this building is only 30 years old. Were they happy about spending the money? No. Was the work necessary? Absolutely.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, all those people who have been killed.

To all normal people who care, I was chatting with my landlady and it appears this is the result of a facade improvement grant. And that building does not appear to be for sale although the owner has his eye on building next door.

Allegedly.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dialh - the bldg had been for sale for a while. I looked into it a few weeks ago, but found that it just went under contract. Based on the listing price, I'm fairly certain whomever purchased the bldg got an amazing deal.

DaninDC - you need to get a clue. Skulkers whole point was that with limited resources this treatment is often the only option to "safely" maintain a facade. Where in the bldg code does it say anything about preservation of historic elements? It doesn't. Unfortunately, here in the USofA we have a thing called property rights. Unless a bldg is in a designated historic district a facade can be finished as the owner sees fit, as long as it meets code. Of course we would like to see every facade restored to it's original glory, but it's not always possible - if it was, there would be no blighted bldgs....anywhere. Not every bldg owner is a millionare, and most are doing their best with the limited resources they are working with.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3853
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If building owners don't have the cash to properly maintain their buildings, then they shouldn't own the building, plain and simple.

That seems sensible. If a building owner does not have the cash on hand sufficient to keep a building in a pristine historic condition....because global economic forces larger than them are forcing rents down and aging structures have ever rising maintenance costs. They ought to sell the building at a significant loss (assuming they can find a buyer) or simply hand it to the City to deal with.

That seems like a great idea...oh but wait, where does the City get the money to maintain the building when the private market is unable? Oh I know! The magical money mine beneath the salt mines!

The reality is that many people don't have $2 million to restore the front of buildings and were forced into bad situations that resulted in the covering of the falling structural elements..as that was the only way to accomplish safety on their limited budgets. The other options were to sell to slumlords who would allow things to continue to crumble, or dump it on a cash strapped city through tax foreclosure.

Oh, and for those that live out of state, they might like to know that after nearly two decades of lobbying, the City Council finally relented and allowed the City to create its own blight court instead of relying on an overburdened county court system.

Their very real fear was that aggressive code enforcement could force marginal households into bankruptcy as tickets were issued for detached gutters etc. The nuance has been to try to go after the worst offenders without being sued for prejudicial persecution.

Interesting to see that the City, that obviously has no clue about the urban environment and certainly doesn't care about restoring buildings, is now helping to fund the renovation of yet another historic facade. This will be the 52nd historic facade repaired or improved through the DDA's facade improvement program in the last 36 months. Clearly, the City has no vision on this issue...

Danindc

Post Number: 3815
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Skulkers whole point was that with limited resources this treatment is often the only option to "safely" maintain a facade. Where in the bldg code does it say anything about preservation of historic elements? It doesn't. Unfortunately, here in the USofA we have a thing called property rights. Unless a bldg is in a designated historic district a facade can be finished as the owner sees fit, as long as it meets code. Of course we would like to see every facade restored to it's original glory, but it's not always possible - if it was, there would be no blighted bldgs....anywhere. Not every bldg owner is a millionare, and most are doing their best with the limited resources they are working with.

Let's re-read Skulker's earlier comment:

quote:

Or getting of the holier than thou soap box ,one would know that starting in the late 1950's and early 1960's, many 1920's and 1930's vintage buildings had significant issues with facade pieces falling off. (Water gets in behind the stone and facade work, and without proper weep holes and drainage the pig iron anchors oxidize and swell to two to five times their orginal diameter at a force of several hundred pounds per inch, popping facade elements off) They were a danger and City code enforcement dictated "fix it or cover it". Many building owners in the 1960 could not afford to repair and chose the less expensive way....cover.

Does that sound like "fixing" to you?

I'm amazed at how willing some of you are to show such callous neglect toward life safety, and the responsibility of building maintenance. No one is lobbying for gold-plating, and historic preservation and proper maintenance are not necessarily the same thing.

Yes, there are such things as property rights, but there is also an attached responsibility to prevent your building from harming or killing other persons or damaging the property of others.

Danindc

Post Number: 3816
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That seems sensible. If a building owner does not have the cash on hand sufficient to keep a building in a pristine historic condition....because global economic forces larger than them are forcing rents down and aging structures have ever rising maintenance costs. They ought to sell the building at a significant loss (assuming they can find a buyer) or simply hand it to the City to deal with.

I knew I could count on you to overexaggerate, Skulker.

No one is talking about "pristine historic condition" except you. My point is about keeping the building SAFE. Just like a car or any other piece of "equipment", you can't expect to buy something and not perform regular maintenance on it. It's foolish and naive to think otherwise.

In my opinion, safety is a much larger concern than whether or not a building owner loses money. Does lack of accountability not concern you one iota? You would rather let a slumlord sit on a building until it's about to collapse, so you can hand them public dollars to turn it into a parking lot.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In my opinion, safety is a much larger concern than whether or not a building owner loses money.

Which is why you are an urban planner and not a businessman.

Jonnyfive
Username: Jonnyfive

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Which is why you are an urban planner and not a businessman."

And thank god businesses in this country don't get the same free reign to make safety decisions that they used to.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes, there are such things as property rights, but there is also an attached responsibility to prevent your building from harming or killing other persons or damaging the property of others.

Which is why, like it's been said before, some facades were sadly covered up.

Danindc

Post Number: 3817
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Which is why you are an urban planner and not a businessman.

1. I'm not an urban planner.

2. It's not the City's place to worry about the ledgers of PRIVATE building owners. It's the City's responsibility to enact and enforce laws that protect the life and property of others.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1496
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we get back to the business at hand...what the heck is planned for this building?!

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am glad that is gone/going.

What does the TEXT say?

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice building, hopefully they plan on restoring the cornice.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Go up to the menu bar above this thread, and click on the "help" button at the right end.

Ah I needed to be in frames. However the answer were in the FAQ link and not Help.

Gistok

Post Number: 5882
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the old pic Chris_rohn.

Based on the old signage, that is indeed the building that housed "Display Creations", a company that specialized in store and office window displays, and (based on the old photo) appears to have been the main tenant for many decades. So unless someone comes up with an original building name, it is the Display Creations Building.

Its' aluminum skin predates the early 1970's when I visited there.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a woody? ;)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Based on the old signage, that is indeed the building that housed "Display Creations", a company that specialized in store and office window displays, and (based on the old photo) appears to have been the main tenant for many decades."

LOL, and now it houses Detroit Display and Design. Guess some things do stay the same through the decades. Wonder if the guy that runs it now was related to the original owner or company.

Gistok

Post Number: 5885
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems almost too coincidental for them to be different companies. They may have undergone a name change or under new management (or both).

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have they ripped the blue brick off the party store yet?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walked past it last night. There is only one section, lower left hand side, of the aluminum siding left. Even though the old facade is pretty dirty and run down, it still looks better than the siding that was covering it.

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 408
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went by on the People Mover today and I must say, this "new" old facade is one of the best on the street. Great to see the modern stuff being taken off.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like they only removed half the facade. The part with the 'liquor store' sign is still there.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 664
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dialh - thanks, that's awesome.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics?

7_and_kelly_kid
Username: 7_and_kelly_kid

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yooper...............where up there.......I'm a transplanted Escanabian.........

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kelly Kid! I'm just a transplant doing a four year stint at MTU.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw some old pictures of Briggs Stadium...it would be very interesting to see whats underneath all those aluminum panelling

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.