Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Southfield HMO heads downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one posted this already... maybe someone did in September... who knows.

Company signs 10-year lease, gets numerous tax breaks to relocate offices to Campus Martius.
Sofia Kosmetatos / The Detroit News
Health Plan of Michigan this week will relocate its headquarters and 111 employees from Southfield to downtown Detroit.

The growing company, the state's third-largest Medicaid HMO, announced the pending move in September. It will occupy two floors of the new One Kennedy Square office building at Campus Martius -- a move made with much support from the business community and Compuware Corp., said president and CEO Dr. David Cotton.

More at:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071211/BIZ/7 12110323

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4123
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just about to post this. But I made sure there were not MULTIPLE THREADS.

Hey, this is GREAT NEWS!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much Johnlodge. THAT'S what others need to learn to do.

Anyway, great news. This trend is picking up. Now Downtown is slowly, but surely robbing the office market left in SE Michigan from the suburbs, and I'm very excited about it. We need centralization like this. If only the USPS didn't make such a bone head decision.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Det News article didn't really specify why they are moving to downtown from Southfield. Hopefully it is for some reason along these lines: http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071119 /SUB/311190062/1033/toc/-/-/de troits-gain-a-boost-for-burbs

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't suspect the $650,000 in tax credits had something to do with it?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting read Charlottepaul. I see there's stiff mixed opinions on this trend.

Informed
Username: Informed

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are the worst tax state in the country, if Detroit wants to attract business with tax credits more power to them. At lease the Mayor gets the joke. Our state is getting beat everyday and there isn't anyone coming to help us. Plus without a core city our regions future is not going to be a good one. Its Detroit or nothing people!

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to DYes informed and you made a good point.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4128
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To clarify, I wasn't criticizing the tax breaks, I think Detroit needs to use every tool in its arsenal.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sure do. If Detroit (alone) wans't doing that, downtown wouldn't even exist in 2007.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6873
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!

Come on suburban corporations, leave the suburbs. Come to Detroit for that's where the action is. It's a great time in Detroit.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's a great time in Detroit."

I think that the city actually got rid of that motto a few years ago...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10986
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, all Downtown needs is another homo.

Wait, I misread the title. :-)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

<313>

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 501
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I know my doctor was hitting on me, but you don't have to call him names."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4145
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. I remember hearing about it in the fall, on the list of new tenants which will virtually fill One Kennedy.

While tax breaks are involved, the long-run tax revenue will still be there, the spin-off for downtown businesses will be appreciable, and the effects of increasing occupancy for downtown office space are key.

Imagine how much busier lunch-hours at CMP will be with a building-full of new employees.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What on earth does "worst tax state in the country" mean?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2981
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guys, this move was announced two months ago at the same time as the marketing associates move...remember, the story then was two companies moving from the suburbs to downtown, and that one kennedy would be fully occupied...

not to say this isn't an important move, but someone mentioned momentum in an earlier post and think people might be thinking this company and the one that announced its move two months ago are two different companies

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10995
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the limited positive news we feel it is best to reiterate to keep spirits up. :-)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 973
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Informed stated:
quote:

We are the worst tax state in the country

This kind of un-Informed exaggeration is part of the problem when it comes to trying to improve the tax climate in this state. False drumbeats like this perpetuate a belief among many who base their opinions only on headlines or political pandering that Michigan is a tax gouger run amok. But, of course, that isn' true. Michigan's state and local tax burden (business and/or individual) is not even in the top 10 according to many different studies. http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/1 0/pf/taxes/taxfriendly_states_ 2006/index.htm
http://www.statetax.org/Conten t/ContentGroups/Home_Page_Cont ent/Right_Column_Area/50-State Study.pdf
http://www.andersoneconomicgro up.com/modules.php?name=Conten t&pa=display_aeg&doc_ID=1950

Business taxes, as a percentage of all state and local tax collections have increased in the past decade or so, but that has been a result of various non-business tax cuts passed during the Engler administration.

Right now, Michigan's biggest business tax problem is not its tax burden, but the uncertainty created by the Legislature's inability to finally decide on a long term plan to replace the SBT.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 701
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That list is very informative.

However, I think that the exaggerations come from people in Michigan who are pissed off that Grandstand and Company chooses to purse a destructive policy of raising taxes during a period of economic decline.

Fmstack

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's more, if there's any correlation between tax rates and business climate, it's an inverse correlation. When a corporation is looking to relocate, the positives provided by sound infrastructure (both social infrastructure, and literal concrete-and-pipes infrastructure) far, far outweigh higher tax rates as a concern. Despite the fantasies of radical anti-government types, there's a reason why there's more business activity on Manhattan island than there is in Manhattan, Kansas, despite the latter having much, much lower tax rates.

Futurecity

Post Number: 702
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but for high taxes any nincompoop realizes that you must actually get something in return.

High taxes in metro New York gets you access to one of the greatest cities in the world. High taxes in metro Detroit gets you access to one of the most messed-up and disfunctional regions in the history of modern civilization.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any rumours of a restaurant at One Kennedy yet? I think a Chinese restaurant would be great. Something that would have lunch specials and draw well before or after events. Most Chinese restaurants in large cities are really hopping into the wee hours.

Fmstack

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But here's the deal, fc: Taxes in metro Detroit aren't high. Yeah, whoa, mindboggling, that.

Futurecity

Post Number: 707
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right FM, but for 22nd highest, we get a disfunctional, third-world-like, catastrophe.

We are probably ranked 50th in value received for taxes paid.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, December 15, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, I believe there is a Chinese & Thai restaurant on the side of the Compuware HQ that is opposite Ben and Jerry's. I think it’s called Wild Orchid, or something like that (the place is decorated very nice on the inside, but I’ve never eaten there. The only thing I’ve had there is the bubble tea, which was awful). That might deter someone from wanting to open a similar restaurant in One Kennedy Square. But the D has Coney Island’s pretty much everywhere, so who knows.

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I’ve had there is the bubble tea, which was awful.

Bubble Tea? In Detroit!?*rushes downtown*

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me, Locano, it's TERRIBLE!

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 561
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think a high end asian restaurant would do well in the ernest n young building.. oslo will also be re-opening soon as a full service asian restaurant.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5907
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know that these incentives to move downtown are great. But what is really hurting a lot of businesses downtown are the little user fees and excise taxes that Detroit charges businesses... they are literally nickel and diming the existing Detroit business owners to death...

For example downtown business owners who have their own garbage removal still get slapped with a big fee for garbage... it's called a "Dumpster Fee"... they charge the business owners $350 per dumpster every year for a quick check. What do they do... they come buy and say "yep, it's a dumpster". And the building owner has to pay up that fee for $350 for each dumpster they have.

Then there's the elevator inspection fee, which didn't help that guy who died tragically in a Trolley Plaza elevator. And then there's the fire inspection fees (you might not see a fire inspector in your building for years, but that doesn't stop the city from charging you).

It's all these little fees that add up and cause some business owners to just give up.

For every good story about business moving into Detroit, there are many stories that show the reverse trend. Just look at that once fully occupied Raymond James Building, the tenants moved to Southfield. It is doubtful that the downtown office population has ever been lower since the 1920's than it is now.

The city needs to figure out not only how to recruit new business to the city, but to give the ones already here new incentive to stay.

Granted those facade improvement grants for the SuperBowl were a great idea. The city needs to do more for the business already here.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4180
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd guess that the downtown office population was lower about 5 years ago, no?

The % might be a bit worse, but there are two new buildings full of people and other random offsetting gains.

In the future there's QL and their posse, and a CBD consolidation of Wayne County. And Kilpatrick's "big announcement" is still hanging over our heads.

I agree that the fees are killer for small businesses, and that is a problem. The corporations really don't care about such small outlays.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5909
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I'm not sure that you are wrong on the 5 years ago office population. But there are a few things that negate the Compuware increase...

The Stott, Book and NBD Towers were all fuller than they are today. The NBD (Chase) Tower today only has 8 of 14 floors occupied. And the Roney & Co. Building (Raymond James) was occupied.

DTE and MichCon had pretty full office towers in DTE HQ and Guardian/1 Woodward Ave. Buildings. Now with the DTE/MichCon consolidation, downsizing meant fewer gas/electric workers downtown.

There are also fewer folks in the Comerica Tower... and are there any folks left in the Ford/UAW (Veterans) Building?

So I don't know... are we better off today in downtown worker population?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4181
Posted on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure but I know we can do better. And we do know what the trends are.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.