Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Google offers 360-degree Street View of Metro Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through December 11, 2007Bearinabox30 12-11-07  11:19 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by my calculations it was mid-late august

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a compilation of 15 interesting Street View pics:

http://mashable.com/2007/05/31 /top-15-google-street-view-sig htings/

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting stuff... Amazing at the vast number of side streets and as gsgeorge said cul de sacs covered but so little in the city. I really wasn't expecting my little side street but it's there with my car and all out front. The only thing wrong is they apparently have someone dyslexic working since they have a 6 in my address flipped into a 9.

And for my block it looks like it was taken on a Wednesday in late August, most likely. It's easy to tell in my case since my street was widened and repaved starting around early September. And in the view the trees have already been removed and a cut line has already been placed on the street. And a few people have their trash at the curb already for the Thursday pickup. I could probably pin it down to an exact date if one of my neighbors remembers the date they started work on the street.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 3:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have proof i was at work, or at least my jeep was, my lawn looks bad.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sad to see my house in it's current condition. Since selling it and moving to LA earlier this year, I've been wanting to know what the new owners have been up too with it. Not so good. Some bad exterior paint work, one bad replacement window, and the yard looks pretty rough compared to the way I use to have it. Sad.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 139
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I 'drove' down my street, and I'm sitting in the back of my minivan with the liftgate up while my son plays in the front seat. Unreal!

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got to view both my old house in Warrendale and my current one in Dearborn Heights, its pretty cool...too bad noone was home lol

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you can post a direct link with a certain camera angle, so I'll just cut & paste this one...

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually you can (as seen by Gsgeorge's post earlier in the thread), but you'll need to use tinyurl.com because the message board software cannot interpret the commas correctly in the URL. Click on "link to this page," copy the URL, go to tinyurl.com to make a shortcut, and voila:

http://tinyurl.com/3b5bf6

Dougw

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I know about tinyurl.com, but with Google maps, when I use the mouse to change the camera angle or move along the street, the URL is not being updated in the browser URL field. (so if I copy the URL, it's the original one from when I entered the address in Google) Maybe this is a browser-specific issue, this is with IE 6.0 on Windows XP.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm using IE 6 on XP as well. Don't copy the browser URL field. Click on "link to this page" in the upper right corner of Google maps. That URL will be updated to reflect your new camera angle/position.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once you have the camera angle like you want it, click on the "Link to this Page" hyperlink at the upper right margin. A window opens, then copy the URL in the "email/IM" box and paste it into your \newurl tag. You will have to insert a backslash (\) in front of each comma (,) in the URL in order for it to display and work properly in your post.

There are eight commas in the URL embedded in this example.

Mkhopper
Username: Mkhopper

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I (or rather, my car) made it into the system twice. First, it's in my driveway in Redford, so apparently I was at home the day the Googlemobile cruised by. (Wish I had been sitting on the roof with a big "Budweiser beer rocks!" sign. haha)
The other is a shot of my building in Allen Park near the Lions training campus, where my car is clearly visible in the parking lot.

Dougw

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Greatlakes/Mikeg, somehow I was blind to the "Link to this Page" link, that works.

Speaking of, who's this guy riding his bike in the CBD? A forumer perhaps? :-) http://tinyurl.com/2xkbf3

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 572
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of unusual sights, this one is on Dubois, just up the street from where they were putting in those 'curb-cuts' to no-where:

http://tinyurl.com/2ttvm2

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2254
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it really is interesting to see where they took pictures and where they didn't. There are a lot more streets in Detroit for which I would like to see images, than those types of blocks. Can't figure out what their strategy was...

Gnome

Post Number: 573
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just did a compare/contrast with the images from San Franisco, NYC and Detroit ... ours are exceedingly blurry whereas the SF pics you can read license plate numbers.

In that link I posted, it looks like the man is either swimming on the sidewalk or signaling for help.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 11221
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they want to increase usage/hits they should have a 'Where's Waldo and offer a prize to the person that finds a Waldo first.

Dougw

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one, Gnome. Not sure what that guy's doing, although the picture is kind of dark.

Here's one I like to call "Urban Prairie Alleyway": http://tinyurl.com/2mdwyd

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 787
Posted on Friday, January 18, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is with the false coloring of Lake St Clair on once you get just off shore. They did that a few months ago. I wonder why?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is with the false coloring of Lake St Clair on once you get just off shore.

I think you are referring to the greenish coloration in the middle of the lake when viewing it with the "2 Mile" scale in the lower left, which then changes to a more blueish color when you zoom in to the next level (1 Mile).

At each level, these images are a mosaic of images that are of differing resolutions and sometimes you get an even lower resolution image as you zoom out, particularly if there is little detail to be seen - as in the case of large lakes. That is what I think is happening here, a much lower resolution image (probably taken at a different time of day and season, which would account for the color differences) is being used to show the middle of Lake St. Clair for the "higher altitude" views.

For even larger lake areas without islands, they forgo using any image and just substitute a dark blue color. There is no sense in storing high (or even lower) resolution images that contain nothing of value.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coloring might also have to do with the use of a black and white or non-visible spectrum (such as infrared) camera to obtain the imagery, and then using false coloring schemes based on the results to guess the color.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 355
Posted on Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They got me walking across the street to the Millender Center. Damn, this sh** is scary.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is so cool. I spent an afternoon strolling the streets in Indian Village. It was in the single digits outside, but it was early summer in Googleland. Ahhhhhh!

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, January 23, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Between this and the 'Birds Eye View' on maps.live.com not much is hidden anymore!

FYI 'Birds Eye View' is an enhanced aerial view (super detailed) feature for MSN. You can also download 3d earth software that will enhance even this feature.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to add in the east side to these maps!

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 504
Posted on Monday, January 28, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go to Plymouth and Pinehurst, look east along Plymouth, and press the west arrow repeatedly, you can watch a guy run across the road. Who knew Google Maps could function as a flip book, too?

Gnome

Post Number: 718
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Manoogian is now available. Looks like several cars are either there for an early meeting, or they have been there all night.

0%2C1.7105696564290058,http:// maps.google.com/maps?q=567+Fis ke+Dr,+Detroit,+MI+48214,+USA& ie=UTF8&ll=42.358108,-82.98117 4&spn=0.007976,0.021501&t=h&z= 16&om=0&layer=c&cbll=42.354099 ,-82.982129&cbp=2,518.00640658 53652,,0,1.7105696564290058

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it appears Google has added quite a bit of new territory.

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After looking around my old houses, It is easy to see that it took months to drive all the streets that have been done so far.
I see summer shots, And houses decorated for Halloween on Rathbone St and Christmas on Central.
I also caught the camera car getting gas at the Mobil station on Springwell's by the freeway.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've added a lot, my house is on there now, and my husband's office. It looks like fall in the pix.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me. BUMPing this fun thread back upward.

Markemarx
Username: Markemarx

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Portions of Ferndale have just been added to Google Street View. Here is some proof as to when the car drove through:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=detroit,+mi +&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=42. 460602,-83.135216&cbp=1,291.80 64469081956,0,1,-10.8818065431 32075&ll=42.461076,-83.13524&s pn=0.000948,0.002494&z=19

Does anyone know when the car drove through areas like the CBD or west suburbs?

Just curious why there is a lag for certain areas being processed onto street view.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 837
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Google Earth JUST added updated aerials to a large section of Macomb County.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5241
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, it was a little too sunny when they drove through ferndale. Glare everywhere.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 314
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. I can see my house from here.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.