Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Arena Garden « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chicagobureau
Username: Chicagobureau

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've recently stumbled upon a photo of my grandfather, a white man, dressed in black face.

At the time (late 1930s) he lived in Detroit on Meldrum Street behind St. Bonaventure Monastery.
Family members tell me he frequented a roller rink near Grand River and Eight Mile called Arena Garden(s). We have several photos of the place including a group of about 50 skaters dressed in Halloween costumes and the rink staff sitting for a group shot. This is where my grandparents met.

The rink might have been converted to a bowling alley at some point and, in fact, might not have been in Detroit proper at all. If you can help me find some background for this strange family history please do.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an Arena Garden on Woodward Ave. that was torn down to make way for I-94.

(Message edited by Jman on December 10, 2007)

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arena Gardens was on Woodward on the left side going out of DT and sat right where I-94 now runs. It was a big venue for boxing in the 1930's as my Dad fought most of his pro fights there. Lindy Lindell wrote a short paperback on Metro Detroit boxing which has a picture of Arena Gardens from the 1930's in it. Can't recall the exact title as the book is at home. You can Google Lindy Lindell and find it though.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2487
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the fact that your grandfather was a white man in black face have anything to do with this thread? Or were you just making small talk.

Let me try:

I recently found a photo of my grandmother in a swim suit.

Does anybody know where they are going to build the new hockey arena?

Chicagobureau
Username: Chicagobureau

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help. I guess I was looking in the wrong place (Eight Mile and Grand River).

The reason I mention he was wearing black face is because it was his Halloween costume and I thought it was strange and a little disheartening that he would have done that. Most of the photos were of a Halloween party at Arena Gardens including the one I mention.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.