Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Midtown Apartment Development « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A chance to build up Detroit

December 8, 2007

BY JOHN GALLAGHER

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The new Studio One Apartments under construction on Woodward Avenue near Wayne State University is more than the latest residential project in the city's rapidly developing Midtown district.

It's also a chance for a Grand Rapids developer to explain why he chose the Detroit market for his investment dollars.

"I've had a lot of comments, 'You're from Grand Rapids. What are you doing here?' " developer Marcel Burgler said recently.

A native of the Netherlands who settled in Grand Rapids many years ago, Burgler said he hears the same sort of questions from his friends in western Michigan about investing in Detroit.

"There's a tremendous bias against Detroit," he said. "I just looked at the numbers. There's a tremendous business opportunity in Detroit."

The $21-million Studio One project, at 4501 Woodward, broke ground in March and should be ready for its first residents by June.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071208/BUSINES S04/712080301/1002

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What am I doing here?"

"Building cheaply-built pre-fab housing that I absolutely cannot lose money on."

I'm not down on this development at all, and we still have yet to see what the finished product looks like. I'm thrilled that we're filling in some important space, but I'm not going to pretend like the developer is way out on a limb here.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 554
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cant wait till tis one opens in June, we need this variety of housing

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with the beginnings of the 3rd floor on there its already feeling amazingly tall. Thats really what excites me.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 496
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, it is taller than one would originally imagine. It's looking better as it comes together. When I saw the first reddish pieces of prefab, I got really leary, but I'm optimistic that the finished product will look swell.

Put windows and balconies on the thing and polish the ground level w/ retail joints, and I think it will be a win.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than a vacant lot. I think the rendering looks promising. Good to see some additional quality apartments in Midtown.

studio1

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 557
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A dream come true for the Woodward Cooridor. Hookers and crackheads covered the streets just a few years ago on this site. Urban density now exist. Im moving there

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 386
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed, Remix. South University Village is an important step forward in the revitalization of Midtown.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pre-fab look doesn’t excite me. It reminds me of some of the tenements in Eastern Europe.

The density and sidewalk side construction is nice. Its too bad they couldn’t have used brick, i.e., the ellington, on the facade.

Do not get me wrong, I am very happy it's being built—I only hope in the future we can be more selective with our choice of materials.

(Message edited by rfban on December 08, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4123
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The key that reveals why this is good is the following: "many theorists locate the ideal ratio (of street width plus setback to height of streetwall) at 1:1," (Suburban Nation pg. 78). I believe that a five story building even on that wide part of Woodward roughly satisfies that. With the historic building across the street (I forget the name of those apartments), we finally have a small portion of Woodward that is in perfect proportion.

The future development across from Brush Park further down Woodward (on top of the current parking lot prairie) had better strive for such a presence on Woodward. The townhouses that are being built by Crosswinds have a perfect presence over the narrower streets of Brush Park, but they should have been built taller and closer to the street on the lots facing ultra-wide Woodward.

Rfban

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Mackinaw.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 928
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't exactly call this pre-fabricated housing; it is PRE-cast, but hardly pre-fab.

Pre-cast exteriors and interior flooring are rapidly becoming a material of choice for this type of construction, due to their rapid installation methods, which saves time and labor. The Hilton Garden Inn is a similar product/type of construction, and there don't seem to be too many gripes about that project.

Agreed, use of some brick would add a nice touch, and pre-cast manufacturers can actually place brick right into the form, yielding panels which look "almost" like field laid brick.

This project hardly looks like Eastern Europe tenement housing, with its large windows and terraces. Could it be better? Sure, but we're not the guy with $21MM on the line, so it's easy for us to critique. Remember, he could've spent that construction funding elsewhere. It'll be a nice addition to the Woodward street-wall and burgeoning mid-town.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 275
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The biggest issue I have so far with the prefab, other than the fact that its pre fab, is that the color doesn't match the rendering. Instead the color is more of a horrid salmon color rather than that reddish brown.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That area of WooWoo is really coming along. I am always a big fan of filling surface parking lots with development. This project looks pretty good, although sketches can always be deceiving.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 267
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone explain here about this "pre-fab" business. Is it pre-fabricated, as in they are building each individual unit off site and assembling it, or are they just using pre-cast concrete. There is a huge difference and as far as I can tell they are just using pre-cast concrete, not a big deal and far different than "pre-fab".

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously the skeleton of the building is being built on-site. We certainly weren't being too precise with our construction terminology, but I think you get the drift. We aren't going to be seeing masonry work here. We will be seeing a lot of veneer.

Mdoyle

Post Number: 278
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeas its actually pre-cast panels. I forget if it was here or on urban planet but a big to-do was made of the differences between pre cast, pre fab and cast in place

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6870
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hip cool shinny jean White kids are coming back to reclaim Detroit and midtown ("White Bottom") is their first start.

Gsgeorge

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, the historic building you mention is the Garfield Building. Jonna Properties owns that building and two other abandoned apartment buildings on Garfield that are being prepped for rehab as we speak. The South University Village will complement these developments nicely. Should be a bustling area in two to five years time.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3249
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, this is a good thing, a nice mix of older rehabs and new construction

Mdoyle

Post Number: 283
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, my jeans aren't that shinny but they sure were expensive. Are you as excited as I for the white-trification of midtown?

Rfban

Post Number: 223
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least the Brewster and Jeffries projects were built with brick.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10943
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Brush Park building facing 75 was made the same way and looked pretty nice the last time I looked at it.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 498
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, you aren't enrolled in the urban design course at WSU are you? ;)

Thanks for bringing up the massing ratios though. I always put those principles in mind when dreaming about what Ww could be. Don't forget though, that another good example or good massing is the Ellington and Orchestra Place down the street. Now, imagine of the other two corner lots at Ww and Mack/MLK would get similar massing. That corner could be a funky node with the proper urbanity!

Thanks to everyone for clarifying the pre-fab/pre-cast concern. Not knowing a lot about construction myself, I was pretty shocked to witness the "stacking" of the facade/structural walls on top of each other. I never knew that was done before. I'm not sure if I described that correctly, but basically, for each floor of the apartment building, the facade is the same thing as the walled structure...and the floor surface is laid on top of them and secured by connecting rods. I suppose that's kind of how the parking garage was constructed too. It caught me by surprise, because it would seem like the 2nd level precast would not be able to support the weight of the 5th level. Of course, the first (retail) level has a steel frame, and that's how I thought the rest of the building was going to be constructed.

I should have taken a picture to illustrate my point. Sorry to babble on about that...

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The design looks pretty 70's to me. I kinda like it. Affordable housing close to downtown is what we really need. If I was moving I'd definitely give this place a look over when it's done.

West end town in a dead end world.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, but for the rent they want a month, I could own a house or condo. Yes, it's downtown, but I think you have to pay an additional fee for parking as well. Yes, you do have to pay for parking. It's $65 per space per car. With my car and my wife's car that's an additional $130 per month. Living in the Cranbrook, the smallest unit at $870, that's $1000 a month for a unit under 700 square feet. Too steep a price just for apartment living.

However, if you don't own a car, then maybe the upside will be saving money on gas, car insurance, and maintenance since most of what you want to do is within walking distance. If your job is downtown, then living there wouldn't be so bad.

(Message edited by royce on December 09, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4129
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally agree about Mack/Woodward, R_city, it's on the right track and we can dream about what the more complete corner will look like.

I'm just an armchair urbanist...with lots of books.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 166
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, too, have a feeling that Woodward and Mack will be a really major place in a few years. Those parking lots have got to go! I like the Ellington Building, and U-M, WSU med school complex & DMC, Orchestra Hall, plus all of the mixed use building going on-- it will be excellent. It has already moved up to "kinda nice" in my book, which is way better than it sounds on the surface.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.