Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » DSR photos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've recently added a number of new DSR streetcar photos to the DSR Memories thread over on the hall of fame board. I thought I'd share just a couple of them here, and invite people to check out the DSR Streetcar Memories thread for the additional photos and caption information. These photos were all obtained from calenders from the Michigan Railfan Club. Hope you enjoy.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streetcars look nice, but they wouldn't work here. They would never work here. Never, ever, ever. ;)

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Photos!
Just what Detroit needs; a new rail system! :-)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 903
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That first pic is great, the view looks the same today.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2903
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That first pic is great, the view looks the same today

I hope you were being sarcastic.

The scene from that spot is very different today. The picture is taken from about where Hart Plaza is currently. You'd be looking across Jefferson at the front of the CAYMC. Many of the buildings on the right have been torn down. You can see CAYMC has been built and the steel girders for the backdrop of the Spirit of Detroit statue are in front of it.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 942
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The destination sign in the first photo says "Log Cabin", but Log Cabin doesn't intersect Woodward - it ends at West McNichols in Highland Park, a few blocks west of Woodward. Did the Woodward streetcars in those days turn west onto McNichols and end there?

Busterwmu

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the link to the DSR streetcar memories thread on the Hall of Fame board:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/60222.html?11969202 43

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool photos, Busterwmu! I'll check out the thread on the HOF board.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea where that last pic is?

Busterwmu

Post Number: 407
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the caption information (from my own knowledge as well as the captions from the calenders) is copied on the HOF thread, so check that link for all the info. The HOF thread also includes close ups of each streetcar so you can see more details.

Bc_n_dtown
Username: Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The destination sign in the first photo says "Log Cabin", but Log Cabin doesn't intersect Woodward - it ends at West McNichols in Highland Park, a few blocks west of Woodward. Did the Woodward streetcars in those days turn west onto McNichols and end there?

As was mentioned in the photo caption on the DSR memories thread, the streetcar's "Log Cabin" destination was the Log Cabin loop turn-around which was located in Palmer Park. The cars looped just to the south of where the current Detroit Public Lighting Palmer Park sub-station resides. Most of the Woodward streetcars not headed to the Fairgrounds would short-turn at the Palmer Park Loop. Actually, the loop obtained that name because at one time there was an actual log cabin located at that turn-around.

Back during the Detroit United Railway (DUR) years, all Woodward streetcars turned at Palmer Park. It appears that a large number of riders caught the streetcar to Palmer Park to visit the large log cabin-style summer home build there by U.S. Senator Thomas W. Palmer. Apparently it was a major local tourist attraction back then, and although now closed to the public it still remains today. To compliment the original Palmer log cabin, the DUR built a smaller log cabin at the end of the Woodward line to serve as a streetcar waiting station. Hence the name, "Log Cabin" Loop. Although the cabin was demolished when that portion of Woodward was widened during the mid-1920's, the name remained though the remaining streetcar years. When the diesel buses arrived in 1956, the sign destination "WOODWARD/McNICHOLS" was used instead.

Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW--Great photos "Busterwmu," thanks for sharing them. I particularly love the first one of PCC #235 turning off of Woodward onto Woodbridge. Looks like the photographer had to be standing next to the old Vernor's Ginger Ale plant to take that one.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 4:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i have that calender at my folks house. but no fist to talk about in the 1st pic.

Bc_n_dtown

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any idea where that last pic is?

Yeah Dodgemain, ...Since the caption on the DSR memories thread for the last photo in this thread reads "...3557 came along the tracks of the Grand Belt Line and prepared to turn north on 12th Street to continue (the) Trumbull Run" — then this would place car #3557 westbound on Ferry Park about to turn north onto 12th Street. The Trumbull streetcar back then traveled along Ferry Park and 12th on its journey to Fenkell and Birwood. Funny thing, I pass this same intersection almost daily when leaving work. I see now I'll have to compare the area with this photo next time I go that way.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks BC. I finally went to the DSR memories thread and checked it out.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I had been able to get my hands on a full set of those Michigan Railfan calenders. Who knows how many other unique and great DSR photos are in there?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's dozens and dozens of photos of Detroit Streetcars (Peter Witt, mostly) on the Library of Congress web site.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5786
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photos, some also available on the Oakman Blvd. site, candidate for HOF. Excellent research there too. Thanks.

jjaba, Westside Memories on the Oakman Streetcar Line.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 475
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Since the caption on the DSR memories thread for the last photo in this thread reads "...3557 came along the tracks of the Grand Belt Line and prepared to turn north on 12th Street to continue (the) Trumbull Run" — then this would place car #3557 westbound on Ferry Park about to turn north onto 12th Street.

3rdpic

The same corner today:
http://tinyurl.com/2kfljw

3rdpicnow

Amazing.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2433
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great before & after, Gsgeorge! Thanks a bundle for the update. I walked down that street many a time........

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well george, at the the same utility pole (and maybe apartment) is still there (the second one in the line)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 19, 2007)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thankfully the telephone poll isn't the only thing to survive-- that apartment building halfway down Ferry Park is still there too. (look for the 3 story brick building with white trim).

note: started posting before your edit, Detroitrise.

(Message edited by gsgeorge on December 19, 2007)

Ray1936

Post Number: 2435
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a disturbing one on the Library of Congress web site taken during the 1943 race riot in Detroit. Can anyone identify the intersection? I don't recall that building that houses the Cunningham's Drug Store at all, but most of the disturbances took place along Woodward.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Mack and Woodward. Isn't that Orchestra Hall on the back of the picture and the Wayne State building dow the street?

Ray1936

Post Number: 2442
Posted on Thursday, December 20, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean the Maccabees 'way in the distance?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5799
Posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible. jjaba's brother was born at Women's Hosp., June 20,1943. Imagine that!
jjaba.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.