Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » More seats at Comerica Park? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the beginning of last season, Mike Ilitch talked about adding more seats to Comerica Park. Has anything actually been done?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they're looking at a combination of bringing the box seats closer to the foul line and shrinking the cavernous dugouts. Don't know about the proletariat seats though- not really sure how one would expand those.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build some townhouses along Adams St. and put bleachers on top, Wrigley style.

How has no one come forward with a plan for a residential development there yet?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 826
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because unless I'm mistaken, that lot is owned by the DAC, and there is an ice cube's chance in hell of them giving up convenient parking for the good of the city.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He talked about it being possible, plans have never been made.

I suspect Comerica will not be enlarged until the economy rights itself.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I suspect Comerica will not be enlarged until the economy rights itself".

When there is a demand there is a way. With this latest trade, that demand just went up.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the All Star Game they replaced the Wooden chairs and tables in favor of 4 folding chairs. Mike could easily remove the table and add one more wooden chair, or reconfigure that area and put twice as many chairs in the space.

Those wooden chairs are probably 10 rows deep and wrap from foul pole to foul pole. That's a lot of extra seats without much effort.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly1986, I know, that's kind of what I'm talking about. If the Tigers sell out every game, that'd be one thing, but they haven't. Until they do, and regularly, adding capacity which may or may not sell (seen the inside of JLA lately?) isn't good business.

Comerica needs to be expanded, I just don't think it'll happen (not a sizable expansion, anyway) this year or next. After a few years of constant competition and near-constant sellouts, then yes.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4106
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, I'm talking about the lot west of John R. Take a close look. You need only two stories of height to see the field from near the corner of John R., and toward the end of the block by GCP, you'd need about 4 stories to see above the Pepsi Porch.

To my knowledge, that is not the DAC's plot; the only other building on that block is Barden Co., and IIRC most of that block has been historically used for surface parking.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, I am pretty sure Illich owns that, but I do agree that something would look good there. How about a 4 story building: restaurant on first or first 2 floors and then a rooftop deck. Espn zone comes to mind.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The corner of Madison/Adams and GCP is an Ilitch-owned Olympia surface lot. I've seen pictures of it as a surface lot that were quite dated, as I recall. It could definitely be turned into structured parking with housing on top.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't heard anything about actual changes yet but here's what Ilitch said in September...

"Ilitch did not elaborate, nor did he provide details when he said that Comerica Park's attendance would likely increase, albeit slightly, with certain modifications in the ballpark. Comerica Park's capacity is 41,070, among the smallest in the major leagues.Those changes, Ilitch hinted, could include reducing the size of Comerica Park's oversized dugouts to expand prime seating along the third- and first-base lines."You don't need a dugout that's 100-feet long," Ilitch said."

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When they moved the bullpens, they didn't start construction until March putting in the seats in right. Probably the same timetable will take place with the dugouts, if they go ahead with the project.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I check, most of the Tigers games have been either sold out, or pretty close to it since the second half of the 2006 season. Finding last minute tickets has not been overly easy lately, especially on weekend games. When you go to a game against the Royals, and it's sold out, the demand is there for more seats. The Tigers are the new "IT" team in town, I don't think they will have any problem selling tickets for at least the next few years. No body was buying Red Wings tickets in May/June, but they were still selling out CoPa.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 827
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be difficult to build a view of the park from the outside, because the fountain would be in the way of the majority of the field.

I way modify the parking ramp, cutting back about 20 feet and adding about 500 seats and a party deck up there.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1515
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Cubs and MLB work out some kind of grandfather arrangement for the Wrigley Rooftops? I seem to recall there being a controversy about that a few years back, with the Cubs agreeing not to block the rooftop views in exchange for the rooftop owners sharing their profits with the club.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were a heck of a lot of upper deck 4 ticket discounted pkgs. sold for weekday games last year. Once you start selling all your tickets at face value, then you worry about making structural changes to the park. On the weekends it seems like a lot of young singles are happy just to stand around the outfield and drink. It is funny that once the $5 and $12 seats are sold out they sell standing room for $15.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure about adding more seating (except for the dugout areas, etc.) but I wonder if the Tigs would consider moving in the LF fence again?

How about another 10 feet for our power hitters?

Detroitstar

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the standing room areas! For $15 I can pick my view, which is better than many $$$ seats. Standing in the midst of $70 seats for $15 is the steal of the stadium!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4110
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Dstar.

I opt for those over the upper deck (where people tend to zone out and lose track of the game anyway) all the time.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add two or three rows in front of the brick wall in center field. Move the statues behind left centerfield and add some seats there. You want to really be daring, get rid of that damn fountain and put some true bleachers seats there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5881
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area has such a commerical/industrial feel to it, housing might be really kind of a sham.
This is not 1912 at Clark and Addison, it's downtown Detroit with its own character. You could put up housing and rooftop seating only to be closed out by taller walls in the stadium. Buy a ticket and go inside.

jjaba.

Joeyp1982
Username: Joeyp1982

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,
I agree...

Wrigley is in the middle of a highly populated neighborhood...its a little different setup than Comerica Park

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reference to the post saying- Comerica Park needs to be expanded.

Any reason why? It's not a sell out crowd each game and we aren't stumbling over each other every game.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably no need right now, unless there is an unfulfilled demand for upscale seats, but I wouldn't add middle of the road seats

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know that any increase means increase in ticket prices- so that sucks.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as cool as rooftop bleachers would be Comerica Park is not Wrigley Field. A friend of mine lives 2 blocks from Wrigley and that area is super densely populated. If you haven't been to that area of Chicago I can barely begin to explain how many people live there. Also I've been told that these places with rooftop bleachers do revenue share with the Cubs and MLB but its not a grandfather rule because they build newer and fancier places around the park every year. Last month there was a place going up that was going to be an all glass front, not even bleachers on the top. Ill have photos next time I go.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comerica Park is a poorly planned, poorly executed abortion of a stadium.

--Too much foul territory
--Seats that are miles away from the field
--Seats that are sloped so you can see over the person in front of you
--An off center "scoreboard" that is nothing but a huge billboard.
--A field so big the had to move the left field fence in and it's still too big! How is this possible. Didn't anyone over there think about measuring anything?

and i'm not even going to get in to the ferris wheel and carousel

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5888
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buy a ticket and go inside. That's the Briggs Stadium legacy. Wrigleyville is a big drunk party with mounties to keep the peace. Secondary is the game on the field.
jjaba.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian, sorry we didn't contact you before building the ballpark, had we only known...

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand where the baseball purists are coming from but Detroit was a team that was attracting ONLY that crowd in its dying days at Tiger Stadium and that die hard, purist crowd wasn't filling the stadium. Comerica Park was a way that perhaps thought of as bringing in a different crowd. They failed to consider a middle ground where everyone could be happy which was a mistake, they did however consider the city skyline when they designed the open air style park which led to a more sprawling park. I personally would have liked a park with a little more intimacy and atmosphere but still in the open park style rather then a stadium style which essentially shuts you out of your surroundings. Im also appalled by the setback from woodward. They would have been better off closing Witherell since its useless on gamedays anyway and moved the stadium closer to woodward or not demolished the buildings between witherell and woodward.

321brian

Post Number: 520
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sciencefair,

I wish you had.

All the Comerica Park lovers need to remember that they didn't think it was such a great park a few years ago when they were redoing the bullpens and losing 100 games a year.

I'll give the Lions credit. Ford Field is 100% time better than Comerica Park.

401don

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as we're complaining, I think Ford Field's site lines are terrible. The upper deck slopes back similar to Comerica and there are far too few seats on the sides for an NFL park. I've never felt more out-of-it than watching the Lions from the upper corners. Of course, I guess you're supposed to feel that way at a Lions game.

321brian

Post Number: 521
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2008 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don,

I've sat all over the upper bowl of Ford Field and 99% of the sight lines are fine.

It's the product on the field that keeps you feeling out of it.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one who ever sat in the upper deck at Tiger Stadium will ever be satisfied with the upper deck seats at Comerica Park. I hate them. I like elements of the open stadium and the view of the skyline. But what does that have to do with the stupid design of the upper deck?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 311
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That place isn't a ballpark; it's a goddam arcade.
Bring back "Turn Back the Clock" night.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't go, I'm sure many would love to have your seats. Watch from your couch-ballpark at home. I'm sure the experience is "SO" much better.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn Back the Clock night was so cool...

I wish they would do it all the time.

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm probably showing my (lack of) age here, but what was "Turn Back the Clock" night...?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee hate to disagree but I enjoy Comerica Park, , its certainly far from perfect but overall I enjoy it, I regularly go to games in Cleveland and Pittsburg and Toronto and I think our park is fine, The people i attend with also say how much they like it,, oh well, everyone has its own opinion

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, January 04, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please stay home then, I put a deposit down on a partial season ticket package and have been told that I may not get them because they will be sold out.

Of course there will be some aspects of Comerica that are a negative departure from Tiger Stadium and it is easy to list those reasons as well as the Tigers' (perceived) motivations in making them. However, the list of improvements is just as impressive ESPECIALLY when you consider that Tiger Stadium was a dump.

321brian

Post Number: 522
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said that Comerica Park didn't have its good qualities. Unfortunately none of them have anything to do with baseball.

The field dimensions are ignorant and the seating doesn't offer better sight lines than Tiger Stadium.

I would rather sit behind a pole at Tiger Stadium ( which I did hundreds of times) than in the upper reserved or mezzanine at Comerica.

Yes, Comerica is cleaner, there is more for kids to do, the concourse is wider, and you can see the skyline. But what does that have to do with baseball?

I am so tired of stupid (if it's in Detroit it's great. period" remarks like Focusonthed's.

There is not way after watching all of those crappy teams for so long that I am not going now.
I like the Tigers regardless of how or where they play.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1754
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger stadium was not a dump! go sit on your carousel or merry go round while the real fans do what you're supposed to do at a ball game...watch ball!

Emu_steve

Post Number: 552
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guys, the Tiger Stadia of yesterday are gone.

Tiger Stadium, etc. never had to deal with suites, club seating, etc.

It is unfortunate, but suites make big bucks for the team but really compromise a stadium for the upper deck fans.

I good upper deck seat in new stadia is an oxymoron.

(I sat in the upper deck behind home plate for the last Nationals game at RFK. Beautiful.)

I'm anxious to see if the new Nationals Stadiums is better then other new stadia.

I still doubt the upper deck seats will feel like they are still in D.C. :-(

Emu_steve

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadi um.cfm?tab=no3

BTW, here is the new Nationals Stadium (to open March 30).

One can see the design of it and compare it to CoPa.

It looks more intimate then CoPa.

Nevertheless, the upper deck are still pretty UpThere ;(

Press who have been in Nationals' stadium have been pleased.

401don

Post Number: 197
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The small 2nd deck in this park and others really extends the upper deck further back. At least we didn't get that. Ilitch added the 2nd row of suites fairly late in the design to help defray costs when the park looked too barebones and they decided to add the fountain, statues, etc. Otherwise the mezzanine level would have been the height of the entire upper deck.
It could be a lot worse. Anyone who's been in Skydome's level 500 knows what a joke that park is. They actually have bars in front of each row so you don't feel like you're falling over.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the stadia these days are pretty much cookie cutter regardless of what people think. Everyone uses HOK Sport primarily, and that firm is notorious for regurgitating design ideas from stadium to stadium.

Nationals Stadium isn't anymore intimate of a park if you look at the distances between the foul lines and seats.

And as for complaining about the field dimensions...it's a pitchers park, not a power hitters ally. The dimensions called for a vast outfield, much like tiger stadium...so pfbbbbt.

321brian

Post Number: 523
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc,

The dimensions aren't like Tiger Stadium.

If they wanted it to be such a pitchers park why did they bring in the left field wall after a few years?

There is no way that should ever happen just a few years after a stadium is built.

I just don't see why someone couldn't have measured the field dimensions of Tiger Stadium the built a new park around it.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because then it wouldn't be a new park...

Isn't the product on the field just as important as the seat you sit in?

321brian

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, January 06, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the product on the field is important. I just wish I could see it better.

Why build a new park with worse sight lines?

Shouldn't architects be able to improve the concourses and sight lines?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.