Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Biodiesel Industries, New Center Area? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any info on this new plant to be built in the new center area?

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is planned for 250 E. Baltimore Avenue. They announced the ground-breaking last May. I haven't heard anything since, though....

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that might be a good business to invest in. ethanol, or biodiesel. the fuel of the future!

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ethanol seems like a fad. Here is Illinois, it is a pretty well know fact that ethanol is the hot topic strictly due to the lobbying efforts of ADM. Whether it is a feasible alternative to oil is questionable, with many believing it is not.

Nainrouge

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not a feasible substitute, IMHO, but could definitely be a good supplement to oil. I am excited about the experiments in using other types of plants (such as algae) to produce bio fuels that would not use up current crop lands. Corn is a lousy crop for bio fuel production, by the way.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corn is lousy for ethanol. ADM and/or anyone else shooting for ethanol needs to develop a method to mass produce it based on algae and/or switchgrass. The yield per acre and resulting gallon of ethanol from refining it does not add up if you use corn or sugarcane.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Road Commission of Oakland County announced today that they are switching over to biodiesel for their vehicles. They are projecting a $50K annual savings primarily due to reduced maintenance requirements.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The project at 250 E. Baltimore is aspiring to be complete in the first quarter of 2008. From what I've read all subcontractors are in place and ready to begin. The General Contractor running the project is DeMaria Construction. The site has been cleared and staked off for a couple weeks.

Anyone have any idea how many people this place will employ on a regular basis? (Non Construction Employees)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4098
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great industry to have in that part of the city.

To reiterate, they are manufacturing biodiesel, not ethanol-substituted gasoline.

On top of the news Fishtoes mentions, Ann Arbor already has a large and growing fleet of biodiesel-hybrid buses.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which side of Baltimore is this plant going on? Are we talking the train tracks side of the block, the other side nearest Grand Blvd or both?

Motor
Username: Motor

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diesel

I believe the Detroit BioDiesel facility will be much smaller than the one recently opened in Adrian Michigan (also DeMaria Construction). The Adrian Plant I think has 5 maintenance workers, 3 lab techs and 4 in the office.

This will not be a big employment plant.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 215
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are they going to have a fill up station? Currently the closest bio is in Centerline.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 721
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are corporate lobbyists pushing ethanol on us so ADM and all the other tax subsidized corporations can get hundreds of millions in tax payer subsidies.
In reality they need to drill for more oil, open more refineries add some nuke plants and put good money to solar and wind power on a mass scale.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but what makes good business sense and what makes good political sense can be, and often are, two very different things. Ethanol in its current form and things like biodiesl will be here to stay as long as Iowa votes first in presidential primaries.

Rfban

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing wrong with biodiesel. You just have to understand that it is an additional fuel and not a substitute fuel.

With the price of Diesel right ($3.69) now it makes me wonder if Gasoline prices are being subsidized by raising (or not refining) enough Diesel. This would be a good way to distribute the fuel load price into our every day products without people “freaking” out. Most of the world’s commerce runs on Diesel.

Nainrouge

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These are corporate lobbyists pushing ethanol.. babble, babble, babble

Lefty2=clueless

It is a biodiesel plant not ethanol. Do you understand the difference?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question:

Do biodiesel plants have an offensive smell? I have no idea if they do but I can imagine them smelling like the incenerator in the Summer.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick google search give us:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2 006/08/22/update-on-the-smell- of-biodiesel/

http://www.npr.org/templates/s tory/story.php?storyId=5280124

http://www.mitechnews.com/arti cles.asp?id=5749

Nainrouge

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure but diesels running WVO (waste vegetable oil) smell like french fries. Mmmmm!

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a combo of sources for the Detroit plant.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/biodieselindustri es9507.aspx

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Looks like a combo of sources for the Detroit plant."

Did someone say combo? Does that come with a salad?

Rfban

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I fuel with bio the exhaust smells slightly like oil splashing down into the bar-b-que. It's much less offensive than petro-diesel, dosen't seem smoky and makes the engine quite.

Not sure about the plant--I doubt it.

(Message edited by rfban on December 07, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4114
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Nainrouge. I have problems with subsidies for ethanol...a handout to the heartland with no price benefits to consumers, but this is a horse a different color, because corn, which traditionally gets all the subsidies, seems secondary to this operation. More importantly, they are not substituting ethanol into unleaded gasoline, but brewing an entirely seperate type of fuel.

I do believe this will be on the rail tracks. Here's a photo of the big wigs breaking ground with the tracks right behind them: http://demariabuild.com/Pages/ latest-news.php. That will, of course, help them with distribution. I don't know about a pumping station, but that would be amazing. My father would be thrilled as he drives a diesel car and works a few blocks away.

They should offer a discount contract to supply fuel for Detroit buses or public works trucks. They could amass a quick customer base and get positive press.

Nainrouge

Post Number: 505
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not support subsidies for corn based ethanol either. That is not what this plant will produce, however.

It is my understanding that there will be a pumping station for biodiesel. I am not sure if it will be at the plant or at Next Energy.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for the neighborhood? What are your opinions about the effect on the neighborhood around the new plant once they are moved in? There are already several businesses and residential buildings close by.

I want to think that any investment in the neighborhood is a positive.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4119
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something highly productive is being put on a vacant lot. It's a neighborhood called "Techtown," and the rail tracks are being utilized. It's damn good and I'd be pretty confident that the pollution will not be anywhere near the quantity or have anything like the characteristics of the incinerator's.

Rfban

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oil (used/new-most likely new soy) + Methanol + Heat = Biodiesel

Motor
Username: Motor

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard a rumor that this job is a no go. Owner does not have financing.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.