Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What Is The Giant Uniroyal Tire Made Of? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 971
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 880
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People! It's made of people!

Durango
Username: Durango

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

This link might help you with your quest.

http://www.uniroyal.com/about/ gianttire.html

Detroitrise

Post Number: 972
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, um, I already checked out that website. That's why I came to ask you guys. So far, I see that didn't help.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyway, for anyone else. A fiberglass cover according to http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=198&categ ory=life and steel beams on the inside according to http://www.clickondetroit.com/ money/2396965/detail.html

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's all right. I would humbly suggest you make sure to include a quote from the post or the poster's name you're directing your reply to if it's not the one right above.

(Message edited by GreatLakes on December 02, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 977
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was planning on initially doing that, but usually the responses for these threads can be so sluggish that I felt I didn't have to go through all of that this time.

By the way, thanks Greatlakes.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1964 New York World's Fair

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2184
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah - thanks e_d

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's made out of guns, all the guns that are
confiscated in Detroit are melted down into the shape of a tire.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happend to that giant nail from the tire that a guy bought and paraded around for a few years.
Jeez, that guy thought he could make a career out of it.

Oh and loved the cat fight.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 982
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard he was registering it into the World Records book and selling it on eBay.

Crash
Username: Crash

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry this post took so long, but I thought you guys might like some pictures.

Uniroyal Tire

How to get in

Framework

Ladder to the hatch at the top

Electrical boxes

More electrical stuff

Electrical cables

Breakers & clothes

Enjoy.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's that last one? PLEASE tell me that squatters are living in the Tire.

Crash

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there were. These were taken prior to the last update & cleaning so they're probably gone now.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4347
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shots Crash. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Things are not always as they appear to be, are they?

Now what would you have done if you caused that thing to break loose and start rolling? :-)

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool pix! This is how I will always picture the tire:

Ookpik

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics Crash and Ookpik. I like how you showed us the details inside the tire. I agree Ookpik, I like the original tire better.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5693
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, what's it offa? First thing comes to jjaba's mind is offa big MDOT mower along the road. Then again, maybe a combine in Kansas.

Crash, welcome to The Forum. Keep up that kinda post and you'll quickly be a cherished member.

The idea of squatting inside of a tire made jjaba LOL. The comment was Pure Detroit. Thanks Gsgeorge.

jjaba, Westsider.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Crash.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 883
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn scrappers!

dick

a Guindon classic!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3996
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the photos! I always wondered what it looked like inside that thing.

What would it take to refurbish the tire back to a working ferris wheel?

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the nail sold on eBay, or something goofy? And why was the nail embedded in the tire in the first place?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5694
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the same reason the chicken crossed the road.

Evelyn, welcome to Forum.

jjaba on the Westside.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Evelyn, for Advertisement basically. Uniroyal wanted to show their customers or possible new customers that their tires can withstand encounters from nails or stray needles longer and better than their competitors.

Yeah it's being sold on eBay, and it is being entered into the Guiness Book of World Records for the largest Nail and The tire is already in there.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4007
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

why was the nail embedded in the tire in the first place?

It was an ad campaign intended to suggest the tire's resistance to punctures. That I even remember that suggests it was an effective campaign. :-)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! You copied off my my response! (lol!)

Inquisitor
Username: Inquisitor

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was always told that it was an old Ferris Wheel from a carnival or fair and was left behind when they moved on. Maybe I was wrong but then, why the electrical wiring inside?

Crash

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome guys!

And since you liked those pics, I guess I can post these:

Bridge sign @ night

the big cable

detroit left, windsor right

(all pre-9/11, of course)

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Big Nail from the Big Tire story as I lived it:

A few years ago, when Uniroyal’s anti-puncture advertisement campaign was over, the company gave the Big Nail the city of Allen Park. The city put it up on E-Bay where it sold for $3,000. The winning bidder was Ralph Roberts, a local real-estate agent whose office at that time was on Schoenherr near 13 Mile Road. Roberts purchased a special trailer for the Big Nail complete with a Hummer serving as the tow vehicle. He put this display outside his office during the week of the U-M – MSU football game where the Big Nail was to make an appearance. Naturally, this drew a lot of interest and I went over to see the Big Nail as well take pictures. Lucky, for me anyways, the Big Nail had an accompanying scantily clad bimbo, um fine American girl who explained her, I mean the Big Nail's "attributes." Unfortunately, this drew the ire of a certain individual who shall remain nameless and thus I have no pictures of the Big Nail or anything else.

Roberts later ran afoul of the law and the real estate office suffered a break-in or two. He is now in a small office on the corner of Van Dyke and Martin. I have no idea what became of the Big Nail, bimbo or nameless individual.

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on December 09, 2007)

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the responses, and the welcome! (Though I've been a member for a while, admittedly more of a lurker than a poster.) Thought I remember seeing the nail on the back of someone's truck, being driven around downtown a couple of years ago— think it was during a Red Wings game.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.