Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 1Q Neighborhood Initiative Results « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More proof how sloppy reporting has become in this city, these results came out with the Social Compact study, but seemingly were just glossed over. The impressive part is a drop in crime in most of the targeted neighborhoods.

MAYOR KILPATRICK ANNOUNCED 1ST QUARTER RESULTS OF
NEIGHBORHOOD INITIATIVE, DETAILS OF SOCIAL COMPACT STUDY

Mayor Kwame M. Kilpatrick today shared the details of the NEXT Detroit Neighborhood Initiative (NDNI) first quarter report with stakeholders and announced the findings of the “Detroit Neighborhood Drilldown” study conducted by Social Compact.

NDNI is a five-year strategy designed to improve the quality of life in six neighborhoods—East English Village, Osborn, North End, Brightmoor, 7 Mile-Livernois, and Grand River-Greenfield—by coordinating city services around the neighborhood work plans and leveraging private investment in the targeted communities.

“This initiative is a huge undertaking, but we’ve made some significant strides in executing our plans to transform the targeted neighborhoods,” said Mayor Kilpatrick. “Our measure of success is based on our ability to check-off tasks from the work plans; another is the positive community feedback we have received over the last five months. We still have a lot of work to do, but we continue to gain momentum each day.”

Mayor Kilpatrick announced three to five accomplishments of the initiative in each of the six neighborhoods. The presentation revealed the following:

East English Village
The Detroit Police Department implemented new Park & Walk Program to increase presence in neighborhood
Increased code enforcement for illegal dumping and signage, building violations, and evictions.
Removed 250 dead trees and planted 150 trees.

Osborn
1,000 people attended a health and career fair.
7.2 miles of road was resurfaced.
Coordinated and targeted Detroit Police Department efforts have reduced Part I crimes by 3.1 percent (May-Aug.)
Detroit Police Department abandoned vehicle blitz resulted in 51 removed from neighborhood streets.

North End
An increased Detroit Police Department presence resulted in an19 percent reduction in Part I crimes (May-August).
Department of Environmental Affairs and Building & Safety conducted aggressive code inspections for illegal dumping and property maintenance.
Department of Public Works removed 400 tons of trash from illegal dump sites

Brightmoor
An increased Detroit Police Department presence including the new Park & Walk and other crime fighting strategies has resulted in a 10 percent reduction in Part I crimes.
27 prostitutes were arrested and enrolled in the Fresh Start Program
4.95 miles of road was resurfaced.
Department of Public Works removed 480 tons of trash from illegal dump sites.
Demolished 55 abandoned homes and abated 155 homes for asbestos.

7 Mile-Livernois
Retained independent grocer Mike’s Fresh Market to replace vacant Farmer jack building.
Beautified area by removing 400 dead trees, installed 30 hanging flower baskets between 7 & 8 Mile, planted 225 new trees, and replaced 2,672 light bulbs.
5.4 miles of road was resurfaced.

Grand River-Greenfield
Six hundred twenty-one correction orders to distributed to commercial and rental properties, which has resulted in 404 blight violations.
Demolished 3 homes on Terry near Burns Elementary/Middle School, 2 waiting for demolition and are currently barricaded, 2 awating City Council hearing for demolition approval.
The Detroit Police Department was able reduce Part I crimes by 15 percent (May-August).

The public-private investment needed to execute the Next Detroit Neighborhood Initiative work plans is estimated at $225 million. Mayor Kilpatrick said the philanthropic and private sectors have been extremely supportive of the effort and are proactively helping to obtain the necessary funding.

“We have had several meetings with the philanthropic community and we are receiving a tremendous amount of positive feedback,” Mayor Kilpatrick said. “They are currently exploring the possibility of creating a Foundation-led Investment Vehicle. It’ll be an unprecedented approach to leveraging public resources with private investment. We hope to have more details for our second quarter report.”

The Mayor also previewed some of the projects he expects will be started, if not completed in time for the second quarter report. They include: The Renovation of Marusso Park in Osborn; Implementation of the Fresh Start program in North End;
Installing 72 stop signs and making improvements to traffic lights in East English Village; CB Patrol Training for churches in Brightmoor; continued demolition of abandoned properties in Grand River- Greenfield; and more beautification of the 7 Mile-Livernois area.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/cc sd/Releases/07releases/NDNI_1s t_Quarter.htm

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been seeing police walking down my street 2 or 3 times a week. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that there is a serious effort in improving neighborhood life.

(Message edited by pjazz on November 28, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10888
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But some people insist that KK is a crook and anyone that likes him is an idiot.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When this was first announced I felt right away it was a decent strategy. You can't solve all problems everywhere at once; you have to target something. It's the old mantra that "everything is top priority" means the same as "nothing is top priority".

Detroit didn't collapse overnight, and it can't all be rebuilt overnight either. Targeting is appropriate, and I'm glad there are positive results to report.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brightmoor is a good target as they have made good efforts in the neighborhood already. New houses have been built to replace some that have fallen, and they are nice houses, too.

As for Grand River and Greenfield, I think Terry is east of Hubbell, so the district is really big. The citations they handed out that resulted in violations is interesting, I guess I would also like to hear about the ones that resulted in fixes.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 640
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"27 prostitutes were arrested and enrolled in the
Fresh Start Program"

The Fresh Start Program or as it is more commonly referred to: hymen restoration surgery.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 836
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what made them decide on these 6 particular neighborhoods. I mean does EEV have anything in common with Brightmoor? Isn't Brightmoor a neighborhood that is the epitome of Detroit's collapse and disinvestment?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^IIRC, they picked one good one, one bad one, and one somewhere in the middle from the east side and the west side.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 595
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question about the Seven Livernois area, does anyone know how large the cities target area is? Does it just extend from 7-8 on the commercial strip or does it go south to the Lodge and toward UDM, as well?

Eric

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It goes beyond the commercial strip. The target area is bounded by McNichols, Wyoming, 8 Mile and Woodward

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought East English Village was a good area?

I might be wrong

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 902
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why they're not having as huge of an invest in Osborn as the other neighborhoods?

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

they picked one good one, one bad one, and one somewhere in the middle from the east side and the west side.

quote:

I thought East English Village was a good area?
I might be wrong

No, Frenchy, you are right. EEV is a good area; it is the "good area" on the east side that was chosen.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 903
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Osborn was the middle, North End was the bad one.

On the westside, 7 Mile and Livernois was good, Grand River/Greenfield was in the middle, and Brightmoor was obviously bad.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, the media can't report any good news--that would not boost their ratings!

Professorscott

Post Number: 921
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the specific improvements in the 7/Liv area is the boulevarding of Livernois, which makes it much safer for pedestrians to cross. What surprised me is the opposition of much of the business community. 7/Liv as it stood was hardly a successful district, though more successful than many other in-city commercial strips.

Does anyone have an inkling why the opposition, other than the fact that during the construction obviously there's a huge inconvenience (as with during any such construction anywhere)? The City and County planned to continue the boulevard configuration all the way to Grand River, and I'd hate to see that die because of some not-thought-through opposition. At least I think it's not thought through.

By the way, Jjaba, if you're listening, the Dexter bus has no problem turning across the boulevard onto Curtis, though it is a pretty tight fit.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Brightmoor
An increased Detroit Police Department presence including the new Park & Walk and other crime fighting strategies has resulted in a 10 percent reduction in Part I crimes.
27 prostitutes were arrested and enrolled in the Fresh Start Program
4.95 miles of road was resurfaced.
Department of Public Works removed 480 tons of trash from illegal dump sites.
Demolished 55 abandoned homes and abated 155 homes for asbestos. "

yep, these statements are true, i'm witness. i was also looking for a good joke today to make me laugh - i found it.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 630
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting to me how they are going about this and what existing groups they are working with and which they are not paying any attention to. For instance I think it is great that they have made the greening of Detroit a line item on the city budget to fight EAB and plant new trees but I have heard from more than one local non profit they have not even received as much as a call to figure out how the city is willing to collaborate with them to help make a difference. I think the reduction in crime is great and am glad to hear it but a lot of the progress that has been made in areas like brightmoor for instance is at least in part from the non profits that exist there and already understand the problems that these areas face. I am glad to see it is a step in the right direction but think with collaboration these areas could dramatically improve.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 705
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EEV has nice houses but suffers like a lot of the metro areas with foreclosures, crime and changes.
Good to see action taken, it definitely can't hurt.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 985
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, maybe they were angry because they know what most of the boulevards in the city end up looking like (just drive down E. Lafayette or E. Grand Blvd). The city should narrow roads to make them more pedestrian friendly not add boulevards that the city can't maintain. Heck, narrowing roads would REDUCE maintenance for the city!

These improvements are good to see though. It will be interesting to see if the city will switch their focus to 6 other neighborhoods after the initial 5 year period or add more neighborhoods to the mix.

Professorscott

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside,

I see your point. Since this is a business district, I wonder if the businesses can't just pool their resources and pay a guy to mow the grass and pick up trash once a week. The boulevards get to look the way they do because Detroit just does not have enough money to maintain everything it is responsible for.

In some of the neighborhoods on boulevards, the folks living there take care of the median themselves, which is not an overwhelming effort and makes a big difference.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 986
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott, That's probably what they'll end up doing 5 years or so when the city starts their once-a-month-mowing-over-the-t rash-and-weeds-cycle (hopefully this won't happen).

For anyone who doesn't drive down E. Grand Blvd. often, south of Gratiot there's hardly a tree left. Just a massive barely kept swath of lawn. Very bleak.

But there is one glimpse of hope. Recently I noticed Greening of Detroit planting trees along the Larned Blvd. Hopefully they can do something with the E. Lafayette and E. Grand Boulevards as well.

(Message edited by eastsidedog on November 30, 2007)

Eric

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But some people insist that KK is a crook and anyone that likes him is an idiot

Funny that those people are no where to be found in this thread. Just like those that say the city's leadership is entirely focused on entertaining non-residents at the expense of residents.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10894
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Where are all of the 'People in Detroit deserve what they get because they elected these people' comments.

Do we deserve only the bad but the good is just something to gloss over?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Profscott, I don't think the medians are a big hit with the firehouse at Livernois and Curtis. (I don't run in that battalion; I'm basing this on the snippet or two I've heard.) Livernois, obviously, is a very busy road and now the rigs can't pull around traffic backed up at a light. I think a lot of times they take side streets rather than inch through the cars. So one possible consequence of the boulevard is increased emergency response times (I have no idea how significant). Maybe the cost-benefit analysis still favors the boulevards, but response times are a possible negative input.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^bump.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4629
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame Kilpatrick is a crook. Anyone that likes him has spent too much time in Detroit.
To end on a positive note, I think that George W. Bush would be an even worse choice for mayor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.