Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » What a great day for a bike ride! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a monthly Wolverine bike ride starting Beverly Hills to Belle Isle and back. Normally it's not run once the cold weather hits but today was real decent and a lot of folks had eaten too much turkey.

After a second stop in Royal Oak, we had at least a couple dozen riders. We spun through Ferndale, into Detroit, taking State Fair to E. Outer Drive then Conner to Jefferson.

On the MacArthur bridge we passed another equally-sized group of cyclists going the other way. It seems more and more are finding cycling in the (near) winter doable as long as you dress properly.

While the main group hung around Starbucks after a quick lap around the Island, I spun off on my own.

There were few on the Riverwalk today as I rode over to check the Dequindre construction. It's eerie being able to see so far down the cut now that the vegetation has been removed.

I then headed over to Harmonie Park to drink coffee and snacks at the Jazzy Cafe. What a cool and cozy place to warm your toes.

Next, I took a convoluted route to the Campus Martius rink to watch the skaters. I saw a friend and his family at the rink. The whistling biker was also doing laps around CM.

Back on the bike, I rode past the Griswold where they were doing some Sunday construction. I then swung up Washington to see "the crane."

Just taking my time, I rode through the lower Cass Corridor, took Selden west to Grand River, and over to Dexter. I got passed by a Dexter bus.

I continued wiggling north before getting stopped at Baker's Keyboard lounge. The guy updating the marquee asked me about a large group of cyclists that had passed by earlier. That was my Wolverine group.

Once back home, I ate a bit of food and took a well-earned nap. Life is good.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love riding bikes! And naps!

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fishtoes,

I opened your post for the bike content, bringing it back from the dead a bit. All the snow makes me wish I'd taken advantage of the sunny, dry days last week! I'd like to chat you up some time about good routes through the city. I've done plenty of exploring but it sounds like you've done plenty more. Is there a PM feature on this forum?

David

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 367
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can email me using info AT m-bike DOT org.

Someday I hope to have some good Detroit routes on my web site...

On a related topic, I did just significantly upgrade the bike/ped safety section of my site, www.m-bike.org/safety. Google charts rock!

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you seen this site?
http://www.mapmyride.com/

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2015
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today is indeed a great day for a bike ride.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.