Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » WDFN - Jamie and Brady laid off « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 297
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-( Sean baligian said so today - times are hard all around

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 522
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah--some ridiculous national show was on (no, I would not prefer to hear speculation about how Joe Torre will fare in LA rather than discuss local teams), and the studio lines were perpetually busy.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit news ran an article on it:
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20071106/SPORT S07/711060312/1136/SPORTS07

Also surprised Parker and "The Man" moved to the previously unknown to me WCHB 1200AM

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd expect they get new morning shows put together some time down the road. It'll probably be Sean.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Radio One buy WCHB?

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1998 according to Wikipedia

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 495
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep article called Brady Matt Brady.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6363
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie Samuelson was the voice of reason on the station there.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how they're doubling up the promotions director duties over there. That's not a job anyone can do for more than one station...and they're a bunch of savages over in that building...horrible, mercenary management. They enforce non-competes simply to be punitive. Cocks, all of them.

Raptor56

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

personal experience, Haunted?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't listen to sports talk anymore, but Jamie Samuelsen is among the best. Baligian among the worst. But no one was worse than Gregg "3G" Henson.
Thank god I can't even accidentally stumble onto his voice on my radio dial anymore.

I don't know who's worse -- Baligian or Pat Caputo.

Thank god I grew up (at least a little) and swore off sports talk radio. What a god-awful wasteland.

321brian

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that they are gone Rome is the only reason to listen to 1130.

I know a lot of people hate Rome and his style but I think he is the best syndicated show we get around here.

1270 has every other spot locked up. If they have any balls they will already have made a phone call to Greg, Jamie, Shep or all three and started talking about booting D & D.

Caputo might be a jerk but he knows baseball.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This comment is somewhat off-subject, but the best thing 1270/97.1 could do is to stop airing the indescribably nauseating David Stein show during the wee hours.
The childish D&D can fall off the face of the earth, too, for all I care, but I'm not listening to them, and I gather that plenty of folks enjoy their show, so it's really not something I care about, either way.
I would like to be correct in assuming that WDFN knows that Shep is much too good to let get away.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 933
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time I try to listen to Beligian's show I have to turn it off after a few minutes. Him constantly using the word "dude" drives me crazy. I feel like I'm listening to some 12 year old who's hanging out at a skateboard park.

Speaking of Gregg Henson, he had an entry on his blog earlier today in which he discussed the revenue problems at WDFN. He stated that the sales manager was giving away spots and then fudging the numbers to make it look like they were making money. The kicker was that he stated that the sales manager use to work at WXYT and basically took the WDFN job to sabotage the station. It sounded like the BS rantings of a bitter ex-emloyee of 97.1/WXYT.
That blog entry not surprisingly has been removed from his site. Either someone got ahold of him and threatened legal action or he was smart enough to remove it on his own.

321brian

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3G isn't that smart. However, the same story is on the DetroitSportsRag.

http://www.detroitsportsrag.co m/b2evolution/index.php

Rjk

Post Number: 934
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^3G basically lifted the stuff in his blog entry from that site or vice versa. In addition he inferred that there was some sort of conspiracy by the parent company of WXYT to bring down WDFN.

(Message edited by rjk on November 06, 2007)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow! i thought jamie and brady (and shep shep shep) had great chemistry; i loved the sports talk and banter and wisecracks. i'm not a giant sports freak, so the fact that i found them so entertaining says a lot about them.

i also like stoney and wojo.

no more morning sports radio for me. i wondered what the heck was happening on the drive in to work today; now i know.

quelle dommage.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6367
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez, my Monday morning after the Lions games just aren't going to be the same anymore. I loved some of that local insight and discussion on the Jamie & Brady show. Mike Ditka would also call in once a week and they had a great rapport there too.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 137
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean is a completely different type of show... while I enjoy him, the antics between J,B, and S were great... very good show sad to see it go--I may change my morning listening back to the old CD player :-(

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parker & The Man are replacing the 2 Live Stews in the 4-7 time slot. That really sucks!

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor: yes. Worst experience of my professional life. Legend. I defy anyone who has worked for CC in Detroit to give a positive review. Utter hell.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, thats too bad. I've listened to DFN ever since Stoney & Keith Gave had a show. Now I listen to Rome at lunch & have switched over to 97.1 for Caputo (You Blow!) & the drive home. Pat's kind of a goofball but he is "the book" on sports. Jamie & Shep are both professionals & will land on their feet. I'll miss the Ernie Sims show, CORNBREAD!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6386
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo...I totally forgot about the Monday mornings with Ernie Sims. It's a testament to that guy for waking up early every Monday- the day after games to talk to Jamie & Brady. Ernie has always struck me as being very eloquent & bright as well; his takes on the game are really nice to hear. Along with that segment, I'm also going to miss the dialogue with Mike Ditka and Tom Kowlaski as well.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 668
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local (or Nationally run corporate washed down boring) radio is such a joke. No DJ is unique anymore and reads the same scripted lines. There are only a handful of unique radio personalities left in local radio. All of the stuff sounds the same in every city. Ive even heard the exact same news and comments on different stations. I dont know how people listen to local radio anymore. It is cookie cutter sh%t! Look just as a satisfied customer I recommend Satellite radio it is like having a HD Tv compared to a fifties TV. The 12 bucks is worth it a month. Oh yea HD Radio what a joke! same 200 song rotation and robot DJ spewing the same stuff he is told to say but on a "HD" station! ha. I hope local radio stations become something good again but until then get satellite then you can be like me and not understand any conversation about local radio because you dont listen to it anymore

Applesauce

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had XM and couldnt really get into it. I thought the sound quality sucked & the 70' 80's & 90's channels were predictable as well. There were a few cool channels but not worth having another monthly bill. Now, I'm not absolving local radio. It blows for the most part too, but there are still a few good ones out there.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 670
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sound quality thing does suck but I only had that problem for the first month on Sirius. Now it sounds good. I head it was because they had to sacrifice bandwith on the number of channels as opposed to having less channels and better quality sound.

Applesauce

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it sounded very compressed with lots of echo.
Gave me a headache after awhile, couldnt really jam (turn-up) my favorite tunes. Sounded like some ahole ripped/encoded a bunch of mp3's the wrong way(bad freq).

Raptor56

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had Sirius since the end of May. Couldn't be happier with it! minimal DJ banter (aside from a couple stations), no commercials, clear sound, and between the 20 different rock stations, there's generally always something on. I personally got sick of radio channel surfing like a mad man on my way home when every station was on commercial break at once. drove me nuts! I still like my WRIF in the morning, however it's nice to be able to switch over to howard stern again when the RIF takes a 10 minutes commercial break.

14andhayes
Username: 14andhayes

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad about Jaime and Brady (and Shep, Shep, Shep). I've been a fan of DFN since the beginning and to let those three go is a down right shame.

Apparently, WDFN has gotten a lot of complaints about axing the morning people, so starting Monday, they are going to do something local from 6-8 AM, but no idea what as of yet.

Also, I've been Sirius customer/listener for over 3 years and I love it! After so long with Sirius, I just can not listen to the radio anymore other than WDFN.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i tried the alternatives:

1. listening to am-1130: the replacement for jamie and brady. i found it to be an overproduced show attempting to give morning sports fans the radio equivalent of a photogenic seizure with rapidly changing dialog, drops, clips, callers, and commercials.

2. listening to am-1050: static, on the radio! (does anybody remember tony carey/planet p?)

3. listening to am-1270: dominski & doyle. i liked listening to kermit-1 and kermit-2 on 97.1 afternoons, but i think their cerebral humor is more suited to the afternoon shift. folks not yet experiencing the java jolt would rather tune in to drew & mike's incessant babble about bungholes and farting.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6390
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was some of the charm of Jaime & Brady in the morning. They weren't overhyped and Samuelson's calm rationale on many issues made it a very pleasant show to listen to during the morning commute. All of these other shows that Thecarl mentioned lack that sense of purpose. I'm hoping that they at least bring back Jaime Samuelson; Brady & Shep too but to me, they were nice additions to the real talent on the morning airwaves.

Applesauce

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Jamie was the voice of reason. Now, why is 97.1 calling itself "the ticket"? Hasnt WTKA always been "the ticket"? Cant they come up with something original? Cant believe they didnt call themselves "the fan" after Jamie & Brady went down.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"would rather tune in to drew & mike's incessant babble about bungholes and farting."

Actually thats becoming sports programming now. I stopped listening to them because I'm not a sports fan (the disgrace that I am)and got bored listening to them talk about football or college games every time I turned the station on.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neal Rubin seems to think that Brady and/or Samuelson will be back in their old slot at a reduced salary:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071109/O PINION03/711090396

The info in question is towards the bottom.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6411
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope so.

Not knowing their financial situations, I'm sure a reduced salary is better than no salary. And again, from a personal standpoint, I like listening to a local sports show during the morning commute. Jaime & Brady fit that bill very nicely too.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow! *just* saw it on fox 2...a spot for "monday morning quarterback" featuring jamie & brady, live stream and chat room, starting (presumably monday) @ 8:30 am!

Smogboy

Post Number: 6421
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay we've got the twosome back for a Monday morning gig but what about Tuesday through Fridays and their status at WDFN. Anything happening there yet?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 266
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope they bring back Butch Stearns and Keith Gave, with Van Earl Wright giving the sports updates.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6430
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The day that WDFN brings back that trio will also be the day that Eli Zaret comes back to Channel 4.

Smogboy

Post Number: 6433
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone catch them on the Fox 2 feed this morning? I totally missed it.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this morning's 6-8 slot was filled by update reporter Rob Otto

Rjk

Post Number: 940
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Did anyone catch them on the Fox 2 feed this morning? I totally missed it."

I caught about 20 minutes of it. It was pretty much what you'd expect with all three sitting around a table talking about the Lions.
The weird part was that they had some of the female news people from Fox 2 on. They just walked on set in mid-conversation unannounced like they were some sort of surprise guest. That part of it came off as really awkward.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not a big fan of j and b...I hated when they talked about stuff other then sports...To me, it was so annoying and they were trying to be Seinfeldesc....That beinbg said they did not deserve to be fired.

AM 1200 needs to bring back the 2 live Stews...

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie Samuelsen was back this morning for the 6-8, with Rob Otto assisting, no Greg Brady.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 171
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed. Nice to hear he's back. I won't miss Brady though.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 312
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie is back - how does the new intro song go?

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the radio, they're both condescending pricks, especially Jamie. I had hoped that they would've remained jobless longer than this.

A little humility would do wonders for either one or both.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jamie is back - how does the new intro song go?

"Jaime and Jaime, and Jaime, Jaime, Jaime..."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.