Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » 'Detroit is a city of bars' « Previous Next »
Archive through November 06, 2007Eric_c17 11-06-07  11:03 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a long rich & history of neighborhood bars. Anyone remember Sexton's in the Warrendale area ? Family owned & run in the 50's & 60's, patrons all knew each other as old friends.

There was a huge cluster of saloons and dance halls between West Grand and Lawton, and Mich Ave and Warren in the 1890s. I think it was a Bohemian area then, my family lived in the area & they were Bo & Polish.

My family owned a bar on the corner of Ash & Tillman (gone now), lived above. During Prohibition they referred to it as a "soft drink" saloon.

Oh, and I think the offending post is staying to embarrass Cyberstanford.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 699
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the Brass Rail on Woodward @ W. Grand Blvd.? My grandmother worked there part-time while running her restaurant "Sug's Grill" on 12th street.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a corner bar in Hamtramck that had a neon spiderweb behind glass blocks right near the entrance. It was not one of the many bars in Hamtramck with live music, more like a "shot & a beer" type place. Don't know the name of it since I always just thought of it as the Spiderweb Bar (or maybe that WAS the name.) Wonder if it is still there on Conant?

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What about the Brass Rail on Woodward @ W. Grand Blvd.?"

Wasn't the Brass Rail with the two large figures in relief on the facade on Michigan Avenue just across from Lafayette Coney Island? Or was there more than one Brass Rail?

The_ed

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not certain. I remember a large brass "hinge" on the outside of the place or a large brass rail near the door.
I think it may have been a gay bar.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is indeed a city of bars, on windows, steering wheels and cell doors. But as far as establishments in which to drink. They are few and far between anymore, as are the people who'd patronize them.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of you out there wishing you had your very own bar here is your GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY!!

Bar (with liquor license) and AND Bank for sale located at 3401 and 3415 Michigan Ave. All for the low low price of only $350,000- negotiable! Land Contract terms OK with large downpayment.

Contact Brandon at brandon@oconnordetroit.com

Bank and Bar

The_ed

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should ALL pool our monies together and buy the property, open a bar-slash-restaurant
and put our money in the bank next door.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredibly overpriced. Even including the liquor license.

Like Casa De Espana also on Michigan Ave. Maybe if the $$ came down to earth on some of these places, there'd be a rebirth. Or at least the hope of one.

The_ed

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this thread is about
'Detroit is a city of bars'......
I used to, when I worked downtown, used to go over to Leandies to cash my check, eat liver & onions and drink Heinekens. Nick & Paul took care of you...and Maria....oh MAN could she ever cook.
I couldnt go into Lindell's because of a waitress that worked there. She claims that I broke her heart.
Andre had instructions to not allow me on the premises. They did me a favor.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Ed, as a Ma Bell guy bet you pounded a few at Nick's Gaslight. It's been awhile since I was there but I see its back open ... or at least it looked open last week.

Personally, I'm a Tom's Tavern fan. I like the range of people who walk through the door and the stories, the history, the whole thing. It's funky but interesting.

The_ed

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Gnome, I have only been to Nick's Gaslight once for a birthday party. I frequented Leandies from 1973 to 1981. I left the downtown area in 1981. My job finally transferred me to Highland Park to the Oakman Building where the Art department was located. Now I work in Troy on Crooks.
I've never been to Tom's Tavern. Wasn't that on 7 Mile @ Wyoming?
I remember a little tavern-like establishment leaning there.....

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3400
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo, the day of racist terror is over.

My favorite Detroit bars:

Lager House
Garden Bowl
Cliff Bell's
Old Miami
Belmont (if Hamtramck is allowed)

Gnome

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom's is still there, at least it was last week. It leans a little on the outside, but inside is like a esher print. Nice thing, you don't need to drink much for the walls to tilt sideways.

The floor, and the bar, run downhill at about 22 degrees. The result of a stolen load of City-owned concrete in the 1940s. It was an improvement over the wood boards, but it didn't turn out very smooth. That's what happens when you combine stolen concrete and a bunch of drunks working it.

You need to stop in there sometime. I've never known anyone who didn't walk in without making at least one new friend. All sorts of people, ...bums and millionares, sport stars and business tycoons, punks and greasers, bikers and priests. Black, white, old, young, rich and poor.

Expand your mind and go to Tom's ... heck, it's in your neighborhood.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3401
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woo, the day of racist terror is over.

My favorite Detroit bars:

Lager House
Garden Bowl
Cliff Bell's
Old Miami
Belmont (if Hamtramck is allowed)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5674
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Johnlodge... but not forgotten are the words of Cyber_hick and Charlevoix_hag... birds of a feather...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3009
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few of my favorites:

Arcade
Cliff Bell's
Elwood
Nemo's
Honest John's
Bronx
Your Place Lounge
Cadieux Cafe
Tap Room
Apex

(Message edited by Fury13 on November 06, 2007)

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to favor Billeo's on Kelly and the Holbrook Cafe in Hamtramck.
The Cadieux Cafe and Harry's are a couple of my new favs! I really enjoy having different brews from all over the world. The CC. has been great at offering that.

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really liked my neighborhood bars, most of them are still there and going strong. The top 3

Stempiens Sidestreet lounge
Abicks
Minock's Lounge

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Circa 1890 Bar, on Cass Avenue, WSU campus. In the late 70's, a great place to go for a long night of hanging around. Get a pitcher of beer, and some popcorn, from the bartender. Sit around with your pals, talking, flirting, and getting sloshed. Stumble home to your tiny, but wonderfully steam-heated, studio apartment on Third or Fourth.
People said it was a gay bar. Maybe so. Nobody gave a damn.
It's still there, I believe.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah, still there ravine. it's primarily a law student hang out now. i believe the owner even donated some money for the new law school extension...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3403
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third Street Saloon was a fun place. Too bad it's gone.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimar,The bar in Hamtramck your thinking of was the Adams Bar. It was torn down about a year and a half ago to make room for the Caniff Electric Expansion. I used to love those Pink Neon spider webs in the window. It was also known for its "Think Spring" sign above the window.

Passion
Username: Passion

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bar (with liquor license) and AND Bank for sale located at 3401 and 3415 Michigan Ave. All for the low low price of only $350,000- negotiable!

WOW, what a great deal Brandon - NOT!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Property/business owners who are selling their holdings need to wake up and realize that they're going to be lucky to sell for what they have invested in their places. They may even end up taking a loss, if they need to sell right now. That's the market.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Norwalk:
Glad you weren't confused that I said it was on Conant, meaning to say Caniff...but it's not like a zillion bars have a (pink!) spiderweb, right? That was a classic! Never did go in there, since I generally went to places like Hamtramck Pub (across the street a ways) to hear live music with my beverage.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went to alot of bars in the mid 90,s. my fav was spoilers on greenfield&warren, good times bad times. now it has arabic writing on it, also krazy louies, hurry inn, and shooters? lots of bars in warrendale. a few have gone but there still a good number.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon, $350,000 seems high. How about $3.50?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a former MI-Bell worker, I loved Lindell because, when working second shift, it was the ONLY place to get food (other than chicken-flavored "soup" and Cheetos from the vending machines). Loved the burgers with the grilled onions and the side-server with all the fixings. Also loved Johnny and Andre - sorry The-Ed - and they were friends. I remember many late nights sloshing through the snow to get across the street to bring back dinner for our crew.

(Message edited by mtm on November 07, 2007)

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha Ha Ha very funny. Show me a lower priced bar (business and real estate).

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2667
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bars are a tough business to be - has to be a labor of love

The_ed

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Oak Garden on Oakman @ Rosa Parks was a great place to have lunch: a beer, a burger and a bowl of chili was all you'd need.

Gnome

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon, what are the comps that justify the $350K price? And where is the listing?

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the Northern Lights Lounge on Baltimore near the train station. They have shuffleboard!

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anchor Bar on 4th street. Used to pop over there when I worked afternoons & nights while working at the Detroit News. (Until the strike kicked me to the curb in the 90's)

I was the third generation of my family who frequented the place during work hours. My dad, my uncle & me. Of course all we did was grab some lunch :-)

Always said when you saw your photo above the bar you knew you were DEAD. The Anchor Wall of fame.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anchor Bar on 4th street.

Actually, it's on Fort Street -- where Vaughn Derderian relocated his dad Leo's legendary bar about 2 blocks from Lafayette.

But hey Dhugger, as a fellow ex-Newser who also grabbed "lunch" at each location, I know it's easy to mix up Fourth + Fort.

WDIV has a page on The Anchor as one of "Detroit's hidden gems."

Dhugger

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooops good catch REALITYCHECK.

We used to have our union meetings in the back room. A little bit of union business mixed with a tad bit of drinking.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 497
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

bit of union business mixed with a tad bit of drinking

. . . with a Tom Petty soundtrack:

In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

Ah yes, I remember it well . . .
. . . from [deep breath] inside Frank ('Darth') Vega's fortress of evil.

Uh-oh, I'm in B-I-G trouble now . . . from Dhugger and Redfordette, among others.

Dhugger

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Realitycheck: does this mean you were inside while Dhugger & Redfordette stood outside?

We both ate at the Anchor Bar it seems. I take it your photo is not above the bar if you are writing this so you survived the nasty dispute in the late 90's.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anchor bar! that reminds me of the hallowed ground in buffalo, new york - the anchor bar - where buffalo-style chicken wings were invented. i once made the pilgrimage. they will not serve you buffalo wings; you must ask for *chicken* wings.

who in detroit has the best buffalo wings?

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who in detroit has the best buffalo wings?

Sweetwater Tavern on the corner of Congress and Brush.. The ribs are really good too along with most other things on the menu, all of which is very reasonably priced. Skip the meatloaf. lol They also run shuttles to and fro all the downtown sports venues. On sunday mornings (during football season), they serve a fine breakfast, then you can take the shuttle to the game. Great ambience to go along with a very nice staff. That building has a long and interesting history.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 159
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see a few votes for Cliff Bells here. Some of you might want to boost their rating. The link below goes to a poll of favorite jazz bars. Cliff's is not winning right now.

You can also vote for any of the others.

http://jazzstageproductions.co m/

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or was there more than one Brass Rail?

Here is a 1948 advertisement that lists three Brass Rail locations:

Brass Rail - 1948 advertisement

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3425
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DHUGGER WHO ARE YOU???????

Hmmm Realitycheck, I don't have much patience for scabs. I hope you got one of the "special" burgers at least once in the Anchor.

The Sweetwater also has insanely delicious Bloody Marys.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.