Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Matt Allen, In His Own Words « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story .aspx?content_id=c3f22932-977f -4a4c-8fb6-1cee693efef0

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty sad, the guy seems in a lot of pain.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5636
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Crap... he almost makes Christine Beatty look timid.... NOT!

Someone on this forum stated in another thread that Matt Allen and KK are brothers (but thru different mothers). Is that correct?

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they had the same father, wouldn't he be Matt Kilpatrick?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 231
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Someone on this forum stated in another thread that Matt Allen and KK are brothers (but thru different mothers). Is that correct?

I'll assume you're joking. If not, and you've never heard the term "brother from another mother," you're even squarer than you let on in the Devil's Night thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xg3md__8IaQ

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, November 02, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

F him!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found it funny that Kilpatrick's -PRESS SECRETARY- needs his deputy press secretary to talk to the press for him now, since he's in jail. Haha.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i cant believe the cops responded

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 246
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is sad. My wife and I know Matt and his family (the Allen's are friends with my inlaws). Matt and his wife are good people - whatever happened is sad and people need to remember that they are family and quit trashing the situation until we find out what happens. I know it is hard for people to be even remotely kind on this forum but try to at least think of the children.

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071103/NEW S01/711030321

Here's his apology.

As for the children, it is very upsetting that his child is present, as the police report details, as he hurls expletives at the present police at the very least.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 586
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt and Tania are neighbors and friends. They're both wonderful people.

I didn't know Matt had an alcolhol problem, but the fact he said in today's Detroit News that he now recontizes it and will seek help speaks to his good character.

I wish the Allens well.

Bob Cosgrove

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess you really don't know your neighbor or what goes on behind closed doors. Typical, it ain't my fault, blame it on the alcohol.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 930
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He needed some of that good character when he was abusing his wife, insulting Detroit police officers, playing the "High priority" card, and bringing bad PR to the city.

I hope the guy straightens out his lif also, but now probably isn't a good time to talk about his good character.

Miesfan
Username: Miesfan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a hard time accepting alcoholism mitigates Matt Allen's alleged behavior. A person of good character don't put his wife's head through a window no matter how much alcohol he ingested.

And no I won't refrain from commenting on this story to spare his children. He is a public figure. When public figures find themselves entangled with the criminal justice system it is newsworthy. If Mr. Allen truly cared for his children he wouldn't have subjected them to the events of the other night in the first place.

Gistok

Post Number: 5640
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd... lets see...

So other people don't have your taste in music or street vernacular... so you decide to be a troll about it...

My tastes include jazz and opera... sorry I don't fit into your beer & bar cheese crowd...

(Message edited by Gistok on November 03, 2007)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how you have people on here who actually know the Allen Family and say good things about them but others trash and tear down. He has a problem. Let them deal with it. I wish him and his family well and any other family that deals with this type of situation. Recognition and admission is the first step to the road of recovery. We are fortunate in my family.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like when the gang kid gets shot up, and the mom is on the news crying about the injustice, and how he was a good boy?

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like Mel Gibson is a wonderful person.

Oh, and I'll bet Dog the Bounty Hunter is too.

Alcohol affects judgement, not character. I know plenty of drunks who wouldn't dream of pushing their spouses head thru a window.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Allen is a good person with a terrible problem. He's not the only one with a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality that comes out after a few drinks. Ask anyone who has an alcoholic in their family (which should include just about all of us) and they will all agree.

Even though spousal abuse should never be condoned or excused, I've never heard of a drunk being known to exercise common sense. I hope he gets the help that he needs.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...spousal abuse should never be condoned or excused..."

Yvette...sweetie...offering the use/abuse of alcohol as the reason for Mr.Allen pushing his loved one's head thru a piece of glass is to EXCUSE it.

I'll bet right about now Mr. Allen's wife is wondering if even she "knows" him. So for you posters who think you know him thru a friend or better yet - inlaws...give me a break.

Miesfan

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He has a problem. Let them deal with it. I wish him and his family well and any other family that deals with this type of situation.

No he was involved in a domestic situation that required police intervention. Once the cops are called it's no longer a "private matter" to be dealt with privately by his family. For most people that means police, courts, and social workers. However Allen is a very public figure which means he must also be subjected to media scrutiny and public comment. If he and his family/friends don't like that then Matt Allen has two choices. He can either withdraw from public life or remain a public figure and not get into violent altercations with his wife.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miesfan (love the name...count me in too), I disagree with you.

If he was involved in a terrible car accident that involved police, I'd think the same thing: That he, Tania and their family deserve privacy. Sure he's a public servant, but it is a private matter. Ya ya argue about records being public, but my basic point is he's got enough problems without the whole world knowing about it.

What is the urgency here? Why is it the public's "right" to know what his wife has to say about this? It's so important that they have to stalk their home? What...because Matt and Tania have serious problems that means the city is somehow going to be affected? He's so important that the whole city is going to crumble and we're all going to die?

This reminds me of when I turn on the news at 5 and the first 5 minutes are about a deadly car crash somewhere and they release the names of everyone involved. Jesus. Have we no tact or human sensibility anymore?

I'll only say this once...HAVE SOME DECENCY AND LET THEM BE ALONE FOR #$^&*@ SAKES. Why is this such a hard idea for anyone on here to comprehend?

On a personal note, I've thought about posting about this subject for while because we do know Matt and Tania since they're neighbors. Not close friends, but we certainly see them around in the same social circles. I know Stuart McMillan seems to have some sort of idea he already knew there was a problem with Matt, but I sure never did. Matt, Tania and their family have always been nothing but kind, warm-hearted, funny and supportive friends and neighbors.

I look forward to Matt doing whatever he needs to do, and the whole Allen family rejoining normal, calm society. That will be a good day.

Miesfan

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is the urgency here? Why is it the public's "right" to know what his wife has to say about this? It's so important that they have to stalk their home? What...because Matt and Tania have serious problems that means the city is somehow going to be affected? He's so important that the whole city is going to crumble and we're all going to die?

That's a straw man argument. Matt Allen has a high-profile position in a mayoral administration of a big city and he is accused of a crime, namely domestic violence. Add to that the reports of his confrontation with and veiled threats toward police officers and he has no expectation of privacy. This is different than a TV news crew catching him with a woman other than his wife or a medical situation. When politicians or their surrogates ask the public and the press for privacy in situations like this it usually means ignore us while we sweep this unpleasantness under the rug.

And again no one beats up their spouse just because they are drunk. Once you start making those arguments then it isn't a stretch to say she deserved it because the house was a mess.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...have some decency and let them be alone"

Quinn, you didn't think we were all contacting the Allens directly with these comments, did you ?

Gplimpton started a thread about a public persona and his altercation with police and wife. The discussion now seems to be about alcohol, accountability, and the expectation of privacy while working in the public sector.

Why is this such a hard idea for you to comprehend ? It's a discussion. Relax.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm planning on saving my respect, consideration, and all that other good shit for people who don't get drunk and shove their wife's head into a window. Fuck him, and fuck all this pollyanna horseshit, too.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ragged, honeybun, I was NOT excusing his behavior. If you would READ the post you would know that.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Yvette...exactly what were you doing then ?

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fuck him, and fuck all this pollyanna horseshit, too" yes sir! my thoughts exacatacally!

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071120/NEW S01/71120025

Here's our boy!

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only imagine what would happen to me if I elbowed a cop repeatedly. Or broke a window with my husband's head - Heck, that kid down wherever got tasered for what?

Unfortunately, no one has privacy anymore in the age of Fox and yellow journalism in general.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Unfortunately, no one has privacy anymore in the age of Fox and yellow journalism in general."

Are you referring to his arrest report? Because that is all public record now. If he wanted to keep his private life private, he shouldn't have acted like such a douchebag in public.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: does Matt Allen deserve privacy and sympathy for his actions:The Mayor himself has made reduction of domestic violence a priority for his administration. And you know, I hope, that a lowly DPD officer who has a domestic violence encounter is fired? The DPD has a zero tolerance policy that, I think, the city's elected leadership should follow. You also know, I hope, that another of the Mayor's cabinet had a domestic violence arrest but with no repercussions.

You know, I have a lot of sympathy for police officers - they have to deal with the dregs and they are abused by people in high places who actually blame them for what is wrong with this city while the offenders (in this case, for example) go scott free.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2838
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark, I don't disagree with "if he wanted to keep his private life private...", I am just saying, there was a time that everyone's everything was NOT splashed across the front page.

I am not just saying that in the past the high and the mighty were sheilded - back in the day most everyone was. We didn't have to "know" everything.

But this guy should resign - or be fired, or put on leave or something.

Sorry for the wife and child.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 570
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't surprise me if the officers who responded to the call displayed a degree of contempt towards Matt for having a black wife. I can relate to the interracial factor of their marriage. We can pretend that it is no longer an issue, but in reality it still very much so is an issue for many. They dont need that behaviour in their relationship as they already have outside antagonisms to deal with.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“You don’t know who I am, but you will when I get off the phone with Chief Ella Bully-Cummings,” Allen screamed, according to the Nov. 2 police report.

I think that makes this "private incident" worthy of public interest...

Gistok

Post Number: 5780
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... or maybe the black officer didn't take kindly to having a enraged white man put a sista's head thru a glass window...

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so here's what we know about Matt Allen:

1) He admitted to committing insurance fraud;

2) He is charged with domestic violence;

3) He is charged with resisting arrest for elbowing a female officer;

4) He allegedly said: "“You don’t know who I am, but you will when I get off the phone with Chief Ella Bully-Cummings,” and "You black people always want to (make) things like this don’t you…”

5) This was not the first time police were called to this address for a domestic disturbance.

I can understand people saying that we "don't really know what happened yet" or "we should let the legal process play itself out and reserve judgment", but what some of you seem to be saying is you met him at a few cocktail parties so you know that he's actually a good guy and we should lay off him. You know, cut him some slack. Ostensibly, these same people think this even with the assumption that all of the allegations are true.

Is there no moral outrage? I'm sure O.J. was nice at cocktail parties too.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How dare you insult somebody who has been a guest in my home!"

Absurd, but seems a common response 'round here.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

image/x-jgMatt Allen
matt allen.art (4.0 k)

The Free Press caption for this picture reads: "Matt Allen, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's press secretary, left, lectures the press during a press conference in the Guardian Building on Wednesday, May 9, 2007." I thought "lectures" was an interesting and probably appropriate word choice.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone stop to think that maybe she deserved a good beatin'? And maybe those black cops just couldn't wait to arrest whitey for marrying a sister?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We're going to have to cut this press conference short. I promised wifey a solid beating tonight."

Informed
Username: Informed

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is his statement, remember let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I think we should all wish the best for him and is family.

On December 3, 2007 I entered into an agreement with the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office and plead guilty to the misdemeanor offence of domestic violence from an incident at my home on November 2nd of this year. My wife and I are truly grateful for all the people who have expressed their well wishes and prayers for our healing and future happiness together with our children. We feel blessed to live in a community that has been so forgiving and allowed us our privacy.

I am most thankful to Mayor Kilpatrick and the entire administration for their support of my family and myself during this personal crisis. It’s been a privilege serving our Mayor and the people of Detroit as Press Secretary. However, as a result of the Kilpatrick administration restructuring and to minimize distractions related to my return to work, effective December 21, 2007 I will be reassigned to The Detroit Cable Commission as the Deputy Director. In the mean time I will remain in the Mayor’s office to help with the transition, but look forward to new challenges back in television where my communications background was founded.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2492
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

How about, "let he who has never smashed his wife's head through a bathroom window in a drunken rage and committed insurance fraud cast the first stone."

Good to see the city feels that he should stay on the payroll.

Informed
Username: Informed

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch, you sound like you see yourself as better than most. How about walking a mile in the other guys shoes. Did you ever think that the guy could really have a medical issue with alcohol and this was a great turning point in his life? Perhaps he and his wife are working out their private issues together as a couple and lastly, the measure of anyone is a single action. If that were the case I would cast you as ignorant for a lifetime based on your remark.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4157
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such is the price you pay to have a job in the public eye, paid for by public dollars, no? Expect a higher level of scrutiny than the average person.

Raggedclaws

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love your double standard, Informed. You almost had me til your last sentence - the one where you judge Dabirch.

Hypocrite. Why don't you show those with an opinion different than yours some compassion and understanding ?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok.

And if his medical problem had caused him to drive through a group of children at a bus stop, that could be viewed as a great turning point as well?

Or if it had been one of his children, instead of his wife, that could have been viewed as a great turning point?

Fact -- the man lied to his insurance company -- at the same time his job was to spin the city of Detroit. I call that inexcusable. And it has nothing to do with a "medical problem".

Fact -- the man, while drunk, physically accosted his wife, and according to her put her head through a window.

Maybe they are working out issues -- but damn I am quite certain if I ever put my wife's head through a window, the only issue I'd be working out is alimony.

I wish the man all the luck in the world in controlling his demons. We all have them. But for me to be tagged as ignorant because I do not feel pity for the man is laughable.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.