Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Muck Rakers ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the topic of News!

I remember a Detroit radio commentator/rabble rouser named Lou Gordon. Circa 1960. He was a Walter Winchell/Mike Wallace wannabe. He had a 15 minute “NEWS” spot in the 11:00 P.M. TIME SLOT, just before or after Soupy Sales. Gordon’s ‘ schtick’ was to have spot commercials during the day, encouraging his radio audience to tune in at night, when he would answer the question of the day: “Are carloads of ARMED Negroes roaming through Grosse Pointe sniping at white children WITH THEIR RIFLES?????? And then, during the evening broadcast he would emphatically state that there was no truth whatsoever to such a a disgusting rumor.”
There were some occasions when his muck raking raked in a few ‘muckers.’

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 775
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Lou Gordon. Anyone have a pic?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie and Lou

courtesy Scott Gordon and MiBuzzBoard

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that's him! Thanks Psip!

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my frail old age, I am astounded at some of these immediate responses! It takes me longer to walk to the bathroom.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 317
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He has the worst rug this side of Bill Bonds.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 746
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou Gordon was the man!

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it on the Lou Gordon show that George Romney made his famous remark about being 'brainwashed' by the military on Vietnam?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 214
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou Gordon's TV show was pretty interesting. He did a decent job as a talkshow host. Still a relatively new concept in the 70's. One of the reasons us kids watched him or had opportunity to watch him was because he came on right before "The ghoul" from Cleveland.

I can still remember that cheesy "xylophony" type intro music that Lou's show had, very 70's.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and the Ghoul panned him all the time. He would wave a photo of Lou Gordon in front of the camera with the song lyrics "You Talk Too Much" playing loud in the background. Maybe somebody could name that tune? The Ghoul was good with the obscure songs.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3416
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that tune MacArthur Park?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ghoul's "You Talk Too Much" was by Joe Jones. Not as obscure as I thought.

The Vintage TV Board has a thread started by Lou & Jackie's son. It mentions some of the most memorable moments of the show.

Lou & Jackie Gordon - Vintage Detroit TV thread

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou Gordon was not a bigot at all and was a friend to the downtrodden, including the poor of any color. He went after Utility companies big time for gouging us. I seriously don't believe he had commercials as stated in an above post. He was for the people and had a large following and didn't have to resort to any BS ads like that. He had an hour show every Sat. nite and did like to have popular guests. He even had Pastor BoBo against the Pastor of the church of satan on together. Pastor Bobo reduced the devil worshipper to tears on that show. Gordon and his wife Jackie were ahead of they're time.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 6:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou's daughter, Deborah Gordon, is one of the best employment discrimination attorneys in the state and is well respected by both plaintiff and defense lawyers. And she has taken on some very challenging cases. Her dad would be very proud of her.

Gordov2
Username: Gordov2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All-
I am Lou and Jackie's Son. The original poster is not correct. My dad had a 90 minute television show on Channel 50 (WKBD) on Saturday and Sunday nights from 1965 through 1977 (until his death). It's true that he had a brief stint at WXYZ radio and television, but nothing like what the OP suggests. He also wrote two columns-per-week for the Detroit News, and was an award winning reporter and highly respected journalist. The TV show was also seen in the 13 largest cities in the country.

Lou was the man known for "telling it like it really was" and was the voice of the little guy, speaking-up for those who had no voice, power, or political clout.

Yes, my sister is one of the top-10 civil rights attorneys in the State of Michigan, and is also in the book of top 200 attorneys in the nation, with the highest rating possible.

Also, there is a special airing on Channel 56 in Detroit about Lou, Jackie, and the show on April 7 at 9:30pm.
-Scott Gordon

(Message edited by gordov2 on March 12, 2008)

(Message edited by gordov2 on March 12, 2008)

Gordov2

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also wanted to let you know that there is a special on Lou Gordon called "Man of Conscience, Man of Truth" that was done upon his death in 1977. It is approximately 90 minutes long, and is considered the "best of" The Lou Gordon Program.

I have permission from the person that runs this board to let you know the "Best Of" show is available for sale on eBay. If you're interested, here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Lou-Go rdon-Program-The-Lou-Gordon-Sh ow_W0QQitemZ150224381447QQihZ0 05QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZW DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gordov2

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, one more thing... the theme song for the Lou Gordon Show was MacArthur Park by Richard Harris. If you hear it (or already know it), I don't think you'll find it "cheesy" at all. For that time period (1960's-1970's) it was pretty hip. The theme song is on the "Best Of" show.

Also, yes dad wore a toupee. This was not a secret. He wore it only when wearing a suit and tie. It was something the television station wanted him to do contractually... he couldn't have cared less who knew about it.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11801
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think MacArthur Park is on Dave Barry's All Time Worst Songs of All Time, Really Worst list, top ten annually. Actually, according to Wikipedia, it's on top of the list!

When I lived in LA, I occasionally drove by...and couldn't suppress the giggles.

'Took so long to bake it that I didn't have time to make it, oh NO!'

All due respect to your father, and darn glad to welcome you to the board, but I had to bring some Dave Barry into this once you brought that song back up!

Gordov2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I should have made clear that only a small part of "MacArthur Park" was used as the theme song to the show... it was the instrumental break in the middle of the song (which is less than a minute long).

That small section seems like an entirely different song - and a much better one at that. Yes, I agree the entirety of the song (although better when Donna Summer remade it), is not so hot... but that instrumental break in the middle, really seems to make it a completely different song altogether. And if you hear just that instrumental break in the context of the opening and/or closing of the Gordon show, it gives the song a completely different feel and sound.

In fact, I had never heard the song in total until many years later, and couldn't believe it was the same song!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11803
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, yeah at least Wiki got that right:

quote:

The Lou Gordon Program, a weekly talk show on WKBD in Detroit from the 1960s and 70s used the 3rd instrumental section as its theme song.

They even have a link supposedly to the show that goes to the WKBD page with a mere mention of when they broadcasted it.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 510
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou Gordon was one of my parent's favorite shows. If they were home, they were watching. :-)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lou probably had a 90 rating during the '67 riots. Everyone wanted to hear what he had to say, although in my age haze I can't recall what he did say.

MacArthur Park is a beautiful piece of music; a most harmonious bit of music accentuated by the worst lyrics ever written. Oh, well.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6460
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936 I agree 100% great music, dumb lyrics.

It reminded me of another old piece of music (but without lyrics) very much in the classical genre, called "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams in 1968.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6461
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way... (where are everyone's manners)... welcome to DetroitYES Gordov2!

I used to work for Michigan Bell, which was one of your fathers least favorite utilities. If he were alive today, he would probably be appalled at the breakup and gradual reassembly of AT&T (4 of the 7 Baby Bells are back together with AT&T).

Gordov2

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the welcome!!

Yeah, my dad would be sick over the utility companies as they exist today!

At the Michigan Public Service Commission hearing, circa 1976, my dad was able to keep information calls free. Based on that, Michigan was one of the last states to allow the phone company to start charging for information calls.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.