Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Spartan Hockey in the Frozen Four « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure how many college hockey fans are on here, but I'll take a shot at it...

MSU beat Boston U. and Notre Dame, the teams with the two best goalies in the nation to advance to the Frozen Four in St. Louis.

Michigan was up 2-0 2 minutes into their first round game and ended up losing to North Dakota 8-5.

GO SPARTANS!

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the Spartans in GR last weekend, they played very well, and could definitely beat Maine. The winner of the North Dakota/BC game will be favored in the final, but this is hockey and the best team doesn't always win.

This is HUGE for the Spartan hockey program. Interest has really dwindled since the Ron Mason/Ryan Miller days. A national championship would surely fill Munn Arena and Joe Louis Arena again for college hockey. I remember going to Joe Louis back in 2002 for the U of M/MSU game, totally sold out: 20,000 fans. I would like that level of interest to return to college hockey in the area. There are actually more division 1 hockey teams in Michigan (8) than basketball teams (7), but the media damn near ignores them. It is a fun and much cheaper alternative to the Red Wings, and no fighting (usually).

Go STATE

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Schlzte1 I actually agree with you on the state of hockey lately.
Also Ryan Miller was a sieve.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, a sieve...NCAA shutout record in only 3 seasons at MSU, Hobey Baker award winner, and the best American born goaltender in the NHL right now.

Ron Mason had 2 NCAA tournament wins in his final 10 seasons at Michigan State. Rick Comley has 3 in 5 seasons at MSU. I'm not saying Rick is anywhere near where Ron was, but to say the program has fallen off the map as many say it has, is just crazy.

It's damn near impossible to follow a legend. We MSU fans were spoiled with the regular season success of Ron Mason. I expect Munn to be packed next season, just like the old days.

Kenp

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lighten up detroitstar, I was being funny.
Good luck
I saw UM win a national title a few years back in ohio, it was cool

Detroitstar

Post Number: 561
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up down the street from Ryan Miller...I guess I'm a little bit protective in that regard.

That win on the Brendan Morrison OT goal in Cincinnati was awesome. My dad worked for the UM hockey team at the time, and even though I'm not a Michigan fan, I still respect the hell out of that program.

The frozen four is always loaded with great talent and awesome hockey. There is bound to be another overtime game this year.

Schulzte1

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ryan Miller or Billy Sauer. Hmmm......Thats tough. I guess Marty Turco was OK, maybe 10% as good as Ryan Miller

Detroitstar

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marty Turco did not put up gaudy stats. He has two national championships though, and that is the only stat that matters.

Kenp

Post Number: 372
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Schulzte1 your such a homer

Schulzte1

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a homer. I love college hockey and root for Lake Superior State, Northern, Ferris, etc. Everybody but Michigan. Michigan fans have no clue how many schools hate them. When the Michigan-North Dakota score went up at the Notre Dame-Michigan State game last week in GR, EVERYBODY in the crowd cheered. Michigan has three major schools that hate them more than any other team, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Notre Dame. And their hockey fans have zero class at games, you can't even take a five year old to a game Michigan hockey game, the student section swears so much. Its pretty sad when the president of the University of Michigan asks the student section to stop swearing so much and have some class. I've been at Joe Louis for MSU-U of M games, and been personally insulted for wearing the green and white many times. No other schools do this, even MSU dosen't do this to U of M fans. MSU hosted Miami of Ohio and we had a friendly discussion with some students who came to the game from Ohio; they were great. This would never happen with U of M students. So let me assure you that I am no homer, I just hate U of M, especially in hockey because many of their fans have no class.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 764
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU advances to finals

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070405/SPORTS0 7/70405056

On the banks of the Red Cedar,
There's a school that's known to all;
Its specialty is winning,
And those Spartans play good ball;
Spartan teams are never beaten,
All through the game they'll fight;
Fight for the only colors:
Green and White.

Go right through for MSU,
Watch the points keep growing,
Spartan teams are bound to win,
They're fighting with a vim.
Rah! Rah! Rah!
See their team is weakening,
We're going to win this game,
Fight! Fight! Rah! Team, Fight!
Victory for MSU!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My beloved Wolverines died again in the playoffs. We wish the Spartans success in their quest for the title. BC has an excellent team and the winner is truly the champion.
Why is it I find college hockey so much more fun to watch than professional hockey? Yet I was in seventh heaven just seeing a few games a year at the old Olympia Arena.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VICTORY FOR MSU!

MSU has officially returned to glory.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see MSU win it-it's been a while since an CCHA team won it all.

Kenp

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats to MSU

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.