Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Lions Trade Bly To Broncos « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/ news/story?id=2784408

They get Dre, we get Tatum Bell, OT George Foster and likely a 5th round pick. This is actually a better deal than was being floated earlier, which was one player or the other, plus a 3rd round pick or simply both players.

I think it's a good move. I'm not happy about seeing Bly go, but it's definitely good to see us pick up someone of Tatum Bell's capability to back up KJ.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great deal considering the parties involved. Yes, you hate to lose a Pro Bowler, but it's evident Dre's not fitting in. And who knows, depending on his recovery, Bell may not necessarily be backing up Jones. Jones might not ever fully come back from this injury.

I hope to see the Lions cut more fat off this roster. Get the malcontents the fuck out of there and get guys in here who can, and will, play.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4580
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm actually really impressed by this deal. Usually when a player says that they want out, their value drops like a ton of bricks. It was obvious that Bly wasn't going to work in this system. Not to say Bly's a lousy player but his effectiveness tailed off a bit under Marinelli.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4581
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southofeight, I couldn't agree more with getting people who want to play. As a fan though I think the most important thing I want to see from the top down is a blueprint to succeed and a willingness to see it through. Want to talk about cowardice? I would call Millen that because he's changed up his blueprint so many times already. Hopefully he can leave Marinelli be and let him implement his plan and his vision for this place. I don't see Millen having the vision to be in his position; I have more faith in Marinelli.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11366
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WAY TO GO MILLEN! Good move. :-)

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like what I've seen in one season from Marinelli. I hate to draw comparisons, but he kind of reminds me of Jim Leyland in that he's all business. You're not going to get from Marinelli, at least I hope:
a.) I'm the Big Buck Fontes press conference
b.) One-way tickets out of town press conferences, a la Bobby Ross, or
c.) "I don't teach those kind of mistakes" excuses like Morningweg (sp?).

He seems like a ball-breaker and I hope he's using this off-season to weed out the guys who don't have heart. You're right Smogboy, it has to happen from the top down. And it's tough when the top (Millen) is incompetent and arrogant. Hopefully, they can just skip that step and let it start with the coach.

I'm curious to see over the next day or so who they sign. I also wonder who some of the roster casualties will be before mini-camp.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta be kidding me, now the Broncos have Bly & Champ Bailey! I thought the Lions would have those two a couple of years ago.

Doesn't Tatum Bell have fumble-itis? Shanahan didn't even play him towards the end of the season. This is a great deal for the Broncos, too!

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be honest, I really won't care too much about the Lions until they really start doing something right on the field.

With that being said, I think Bly made it known that he did not want to be with the Lions, and they obliged.

Well see if Tatum Bell is a good NFL rb or if he's another Olandis Gary (good rb with the Broncos Offensive Line, but not too good anywhere else).

At least there is a draft pick from a non-playoff qualifying team, and a offensive linemen to add more depth to that position if he stays throughout the season, who knows.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bly didnt fit in, and we got a 5th round pick, which is great. Bell helping is iffy at best.
Didnt we also get a 5th rounder for Joey who was just cut from Miami. Thats a great round for O lineman.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 680
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm..excuse me? No one can run behind our Offensive Line, not even the guys we have/had for the past umpteenth years. I don't know about this...

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Genesyxx. Just because you gained 1,000 yards with Denver doesn't mean he'll be able to help us. We did need some depth at the position though.

You can't be successful in the NFL by over-paying for guys on the free-agent market and cutting them loose two years later....because most teams don't change their schemes every two years !

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just traded James Hall to St. Louis for another 5th round pick.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 704
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I predict that these fascinating moves will definitely put us in a position to win four or five games.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4588
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, you sly devil! We can see through that thinly veiled prediction- you never did say how LONG it would take us to win those four or five games.

Gameover
Username: Gameover

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bly was a lousy team leader, a locker room cancer. I'm glad he's gone. Oooops.....it's Joey's fault.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4603
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember when the Lions got Kitna someone had asked the question of what would he have done if Bly had blamed the season on the QB and it was summarily agreed that Kitna would've taken him out back & beat his ass for those comments.

I think as fans we all wanted to do that too. You don't bad mouth a team mate... that's so cheap.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 711
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry Sanders and Chris Spielman both played for a long time here and endured seasons of numbing futility, and both, eventually, grew tired of it, but I don't recall hearing either one of them blaming any of their teammates. Dre Bly can't even imagine being anywhere remotely close to almost half as good a player as either one of those guys. Fuck Dre Bly. If we're gonna have records like 3-13, we can have them without guys who are that classless and bush-league.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4614
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering who on the Broncos Bly is gonna toss under the bus when they flub a play.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4675
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you folks heard that Dre Bly now wants out and wants to go to Washington??

Ouch, talk about ingratiating yourself with your new team even before you play a down with them.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess that answers what you were wondering Smogboy, Dre Bly threw the whole franchise under the bus.. They never got the chance to flub the play.

Bly is from VA, so that's why he wants to go there. But the Redskins suck, so I don't get why you would not want to be on a Superbowl contender in Denver. Being at home may not be so great.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4710
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a part of me that wonders that Bly might have realized that playing opposite a top cover like Champ Bailey might really expose him to being picked to pieces.

But yeah, I don't see the appeal of playing for Washington over Denver either.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.