Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Oh yeah Michigan beats MSU « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

67-56 Michigan GO BLUE

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved every minute of it.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty shallow win, a win over a less talented program with its only star sick. Not exactly a signature win or even something to get excited.

Fix the program, please!!!!

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I root for U-M but their program is weak, has been since the Brian Ellerbe days. That win last night will be pointless if they come out and get their nuts served to them by Ohio State. Michigan wins THAT game, then it's time to brag.

Kenp

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok drew sharpe
Are you kidding, Any win over msu in any competition is EXCITING.
You dont think is was big for msu to beat um a couple weeks ago. What kind of fan are you.

_sj_

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sucks when Drew Sharp is right.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM did not win the game last night, MSU lost it.

I would love nothing more than to see a healthy rivalry, but the Michigan basketball program is years behind MSU. The wins the last 2 seasons have been deceiving.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care, they still won.

Kenp

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar your a little goofy, UM should have won 3 out of the last 4, and last year you started 3 pros and the baby guard.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 512
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And there is a reason Phil Bova has only officiated 3 games since he messed up that game in Ann Arbor last year. He was put on review by the Big 10 and subsequently went into semi-retirement.

I will take nothing away from what Michigan did last night. They played well and made big shots when they needed to. Harris was lights out and Sims asserted himself well for once.

I'm a Spartan, but I can acknowledge the accomplishments of the rival team as well. With that said, MSU had plenty of opportunities that they messed up along the way. I think everyone can agree that if Neitzel was healthy the game would likely have taken a different tone.

Kenp

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good post Detroitstar, sorry for the goofy comment. To bad Neitzel wasnt healthy.
We did a good job last night and the press and even our fans rip us. Gets me a little worked up.
If we beat OSU and you lose at Wisc, we will be 9-7 in the big ten and MSU 8-8. Doesnt sound like we are that far off the pace to me.
good luck in the up coming games

_sj_

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You want to look at those records a little deeper, MSU possibly had the most difficult big ten schedule this past season, and once again UM proved to only be able to win at home against a less than stellar schedule.

Even with a win against OSU that has nothing to play for does nothing for the program.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Even with a win against OSU that has nothing to play for does nothing for the program."

Except for a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament

Detroitstar

Post Number: 514
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OSU has everything to play for. A #1 NCAA tournament seed has much more benefit than a #2 seed in terms of 2nd round matchups.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 351
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, are you Jim Boeheim in disguise? Quit with the whining. MSU's team is just as talented as Michigan's.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 515
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun I'm confused? When since 1998 has Michigan basketball ever had equal talent to MSU? I want to see a healthy rivalry as much as anyone, but there is no way you can tell me the two teams are equal right now.

Kenp

Post Number: 232
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM just keeps missing out on top talent. Horford and Crawford committed to us and bailed at the last minute. Hairston looked like a lock. We had Patrick Beverley all locked up to play the point and he takes a trip to Ark and signs 2 days later. Scottie Reynolds was a near miss and he is starring at Nova.
It doesnt take long to catch up. Our problem is we have been very carefull the last ten years since the Ed Martin scandal.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM & MSU keep missing out on top talent from the state. MSU is short on quality guards and look at all of the guards from Detroit around the country. Hairston, Porter & Crawford, or even Brandon Cotton would help MSU (or UM for that matter)big time. Both teams have inconsistent big men.

The difference between the two schools this year is coaching.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A year from now MSU is going to have too many guards with the addition of Lucas, Summers and Allan. UM should refill a bit too with Legion coming in.

the fact that Michigan is a senior-laden team versus the youth of Michigan State, and still Michigan State is a better team per RPI and SOS, etc ... that just goes to show that even if the argument is made that the gap has closed based on this year's teams, the gap is not closing at all if you look at the programs as a whole and not just the teams on the floor this season. So, yes, class of the athletes certainly does seem to matter as it's all Michigan has going for it right now ...

_sj_

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A year from now MSU is going to have too many guards with the addition of Lucas, Summers and Allan.

MSU has always been a guard oriented program.

Kenp

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the difference this year is not all coaching, its also Neitzel. If state didnt have this huge season by him they would be in bad shape.
As far as guards go, both schools have 3 coming in for next year. All 3 for um are from Michigan. State also has a top point guard coming for the following year as well. I cant believe that they all will stay.
I expect next year to see a strong State team and a mediocre UM team. Im looking forward to seeing Manny Harris, I think he could be a big star.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 527
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, where is Manny Harris from? I've heard a lot about him, but don't know much about his game.

Sorry to hijack this thread--I should probably go to a different board.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Manny Harris 6'4"-6'5" shooting grd from Det. Redford.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/ viewprospect.asp?sport=2&pr_ke y=49907

Kenp

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is about UM and State, so I dont see a problem.
Harris is from Detroit Redford, which just won its 3rd straight PSL crown. He is the leading candidate for MR Basketball in Mich. He is a 6'5" swingman, who can create his own shot, play crazy tough D ans is very athletic and competitive. Something lacking at UM.
He is not a great shooter at this point.

Ohudson

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree that MSU has always been a guard oriented program. MSU has been pretty balanced. On the Mateen Cleaves team State had Andre Hutson and AJ Granger. Thru the years Zach Randolph & Paul Davis. When Zach left early that was a big hit that forced the team to be guard oriented until Paul Davis came along.

I miss the running game, which is absent from this years team because of the lack of athletes MSU has.

_sj_

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if Amaker is still there Harris will never get any better then he is today. And it is a shame.

Ohudson

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still amazed that Lester Abram still looks like a freshman, I thought he would at least be the next Bernard Robinson, which is actually pretty good. Ah well, I hope he went to class..

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan wins an NIT game but nobody actually saw it, did it really happen (Attendance for NIT game, 3,114)?
Ed Martin Rules!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 545
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could not help but laugh at the fact that UM is likely going to bring Amaker back.

Like I said before...the programs are years apart.

If UM fires Amaker they will likely lose his wife, one of the top administrators and fund raisers. That means the school that is caught up in a big affirmative action mess right now is going to lose 2 high profile African American employees.

Hail, to the victors valiant...lol

(Message edited by DetroitSTAR on March 14, 2007)

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victors of what...the NIT. HA! Losers.

Go Green!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 875
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan's MAC schools draw more fans than that...to regular season games. Perhaps EMU excluded.

I saw that game on TV, and laughed. Pathetic attendance for a postseason game.

Kenp

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar The University of Michigan has the largest alumni group in the United States of America. Do you really think that if Mrs Amaker leaves here job at Michigan it will hinder our fund raising efforts. And what does her race have to do with anything. We will not be held hostage from some administrator. If Tommy Amaker is fired, she wont be. If she leaves she leaves. I would much rather have some body working at such a high level because she wanted to be their not because she comes and goes with her husbands career.

_sj_

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is not only school to claim to have the largest alumni group. It is like claiming to have the best pizza in Metro Detroit.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 546
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, many administrators in Ann Arbor have said that they support keeping Tommy because losing Mrs. Amaker would be worse for the university. I dont care how many alumni I have, it would look bad to lose 2 high profile minority employees...regardless of what school it is at.

I could care less what their race is, but in a school that is entrenched in a big affirmative action debate, that is certainly not going to help their cause.

Kenp

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The University has no plans on removing Mrs Amaker. And if she decides to resign then good luck to her. I hope Tommy stays. I guess I just dont understand your point.
Good luck to MSU tonight.

_sj_

Post Number: 1761
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Amaker is considered more of a prize than Tommy. The University will not remove Tommy with the risk of losing her. It was speculated about a week ago on Radio and the newspaper as to why Tommy will stay.

Kenp

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Explain to me what the "Risk" is.

_sj_

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they fire Tommy, she leaves. According to the story, they do not want her to leave so Tommy stays.

Basically they want her at the UM not at the next school Tommy coaches at after he is removed.

Kenp

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is it that makes her so special that we cant lose her. Maybe I should do a little research because I have yet to here anyone tell the reason on this thread. It just seems absurd to me.
Also if he is let go were would he end up. Surely not at a major university as a head coach. Would it be at major university as an assistant? Or a small time head coaching job somewhere. Probably sit back and enjoy a year or 2 off, he is still under contract for the next year.

Detroitstar

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amaker would likely end up coaching at a much smaller D1 school. He might have another shot at a "big time" job, but he would have to earn it back over several years. The one thing he has going for him is his ability to recruit. The biggest thing against him though is still that inability to develop talent, and that is what matters more than anything in college basketball.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 273
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amaker is reported to be returning to Duke as an assistant. Per MLive, he did phone Michigan's highest profile recruits to deliver the news personally and pitch their remaining committed to Michigan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.