Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Forsberg a Predator- Who Might the Wings Grab? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that Peter Forsberg is with Nashville ending some speculation he was coming to Detroit, what would be the best option for the Wings to shore up their needs? They need a strong forward-what about Owen Nolan? Bill Guerin?
There are some others too. Any thoughts? Will/can GM Ken Holland make a move? Some of his recent trading deadline moves haven't panned out too well-The defenseman they got last year was no factor ( I forgot his name ) . Robert Lang really hasn't produced come playoff time in 2004-04 or last year.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Guerin

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4507
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Guerin? If we go after him, who do you suppose we'd give up and would St. Louis want them?

It's always fine to suggest who you think we'd want but this isn't the free spending days of yore anymore.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 221
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard Tkachuk's name bandied about in regards to the Wings...

Smogboy

Post Number: 4510
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh dear Lord, don't let it be Tkachuk. The only reason I fear that if we got him is that at the beginning of the season, wasn't he the guy that didn't pass his physical? Wasn't he like 20 lbs. over his playing weight at camp and was constantly fined for it as he was trying to work himself back into shape? For being a professional athlete, knowing you're coming back to another season and letting yourself go in the off-season is horrific. He must know that all of the other players are also having off-season conditioning; what happened to his competitive nature?

Price too high for this rental?

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 222
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, that was after the lock-out. he's back to his "fighting" weight...I think if the Wings got him, they could ice a new version of the "grind line." he's a lot like Holmstrom in the fact that he's not afraid to take punishment in front of the crease!

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 481
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary Roberts' name came up a few weeks ago. Anyone know how he is doing this year?

Smogboy

Post Number: 4523
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't surprise me if the Wings stood pat on trades. I think the next few days will determine that. If we can get some more scoring from the other lines other that the Euro-Twins (Zetterberg and Datsyuk) and Holmstrom, we might be okay- although not ideal. It's not our other lines aren't capable of scoring- they just haven't. Robert Lang, Dan Cleary, Mikael Samuelsson, Jiri Hudler, Valteri Filppula, Kris Draper and some of the others really need to chip in a bit. While defensively we're doing fine- our scoring needs to pick it up a bit.

My other thought is if we do go after a Guerin, Tkachuk, Roberts or Anson Carter- who are we willing to part with??

Scs100

Post Number: 483
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carter is out. He just got traded to the Hurricanes for a couple of draft picks. BTW, check out the little section on the best fights of all time. Vernon vs. Roy made the front page of the NHL section.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4527
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And trading Joey MacDonald just went out the window temporarily- he got waived too.

Scs100

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another 117K to free up on the cap with whatever he does.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4530
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the Boston Bruins just scooped up Joey Mac too. Dangit all, I thought he played really well here but just didn't have any scoring support. Dave Lewis got himself a deal I think.

Scs100

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't hear that. Ouch. Plus, the Bruins resigned Marco Sturm. He could've been a steal.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From ESPN:
The Web site (TSN) also reported that the Blues have reached a two-year agreement with goaltender Manny Legace. Official announcements on both signings were expected to be made Saturday afternoon, according to the report.

Brewer, 27, who went to St. Louis in the Chris Pronger trade with the Edmonton Oilers, has 18 points in 61 games with the Blues this year.

Legace is 23-15 with a .907 save percentage and 2.59 goals-against average this season.

I guess the Wings can't get him back now! :-)

Scs100

Post Number: 504
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who wants them? We have goaltending and defense.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4532
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never had any thoughts that the Wings wanted Manny Legace back. They had a chance to sign him in the off season and obviously they felt as though he was expendable. I did too. As the goalie on an upper caliber team like the WIngs who are contending, some of the things he said after their losses weren't exactly inspiring or conducive to rallying the team around him. He lost his confidence here and just didn't spark his team to the next level. Sometimes goalies just need to steal a game for their team and he didn't.

Eric Brewer? I didn't even know he was on the Wings radar.

Scs100

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wasn't. But it was good to mention if you are just tracking trades or available players.

Scs100

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While we're at it, Alexi Zhitnik went to the Thrashers for some young guy.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4533
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curses! Of all the times for the Forsberg to start paying dividends.

Pdtpuck

Post Number: 224
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: Legace re-signing w/the Blues and the Wings not being able to get him back.....

it was a joke!!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 4534
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry... sarcasm doesn't translate well on forums.

Scs100

Post Number: 516
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkachuk is now out of the running. Looks like he's headed east if everything turns out right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/ news/story?id=2779078

*Now he is out of St. Louis and into Atlanta. Looks like Atlanta may have over dealt. 3 draft picks plus a player.

(Message edited by SCS100 on February 25, 2007)

Smogboy

Post Number: 4536
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a pretty hefty price to pay for a possible rental player in Tkachuk. But if Atlanta really thinks they have a chance and the window of opportunity is open- they might as well take a stab.

I just don't see the Thrashers going far with their tandem of goalies- none of which really scares anyone.

As far as Detroit goes, I'm still mulling who we would lose in order to get that big time forward we crave... and still fit him in under the salary cap.

Scs100

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reportedly Roberts is headed to Pittsburgh.

Check ESPN.com for more details.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4560
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess he still needs to nix his No-trade clause.

All's quiet on the Red Wings front. Impending blockbuster or silence as we ride it out towards the playoffs?

Scs100

Post Number: 528
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3:00 tomorrow. I bet it's Guerin, Nolan, Gelinas, or nothing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4563
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hedging a bet towards any in particular, Scs?

Scs100

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, since every year I bet, I'm wrong! :-)

So I am trying to broaden my horizon. 3 heads are better than one.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes... good ol' Red Wing superstition time!

Smogboy

Post Number: 4567
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kyle Calder!!!! Wow... that one came out of the blue for me.

Good bye Jason Williams. 'Twas nice knowing you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.