Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tigers, Rodney agree to 1-year deal « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to freep.com today, the club and Rodney have inked a one-year, $1.05-million deal, with a possibility for a second.

Is anyone else bugged by this? It just seems that despite his moderate ERA, Fernando gave up a LOT of huge runs.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 713
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not too bothered, remember Rodney is pretty young, he'll get better in the pressure situations. He can throw some heat too; gotta keep the bullpen strong & deep.

Let's just get him, along with the rest of the young pitching staff, to work on their fielding and throwing to the bases during the off-season.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an idea. Start each at third base for one game. That should solve that problem. (And cost us about 20 games too!) :-)

Of course, that wouldn't be a good idea.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to have him here. The money may seem a little steep, but this past off-season has shown a notable increase in the "going rate." (Idea for Rodney: Go buy some shoes with velcro closure.) He had some really awful outings, later in the season, but let's not forget that, during Todd Jones' absence, Rodney was so effective that many folks thought that he should be the closer even after Jones' return. No doubt, though, he is indeed a "work in progress." I'm curious to see how the arbitration cases go. Rodney was one of them; maybe some of the others will be resolved in similar "eleventh hour" fashion. We'll know very soon.

Southofeight

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, he does need some time. I just worry every time I see him come in a game. But to his credit, he has shut some teams down when we needed him too, so I shouldn't bitch too loudly.

Any way for me to find out who among the Tigers is going the arbitration route? Is there a link to that?

Ravine

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Monroe & Tigers reached agreement today, instead of going to arbitration. That leaves Infante and Robertson. Details at MLB.com or ESPN.com

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4272
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a one year deal I think the Tigers did good in signing Rodney. Sure he's still a work in progress but for his age, why not? I think he could possibly be a middle reliever in the long run. Give him a go for this sort of money for a year and see if he pans out and gets his control & accuracy together.

Southofeight

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like they locked in Craig and Robertson, also to one-year deals. Apparently, Dombrowski is not a big fan of arbitration, which is good. It's an unnecessary distraction heading in to spring training, where hopefully our pitchers will work on their fundamentals, like properly throwing to first base.

That, and hopefully some run support for Nate. That guy could've easily won 17 or 18 games last year, maybe more.

He went 13-13. In those 13 losses, Detroit topped out with four runs in a 7-4 loss in September. Nate had a shitty August with an 0-5 record, and the offense mustered only 3 runs with him on the mound, twice, once against Chicago and the other against Oakland. The rest of the losses? The offense generated 2, 1 or 0 runs.

The bats get a little quiet with Nate on the mound. That, among other things, has to change.

Ravine

Post Number: 524
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't hear that Nate & Tigers had reached. I hope so. Arbitration sucks. In Nate's case, he may not have the best ERA in the division, and he might not blow batters right off their feet, but it's obvious that Southofeight has been paying attention to him, and I am here to back up what Sof8 said... It seems like every team has a Hard Luck Guy in the starting rotation, and for about the last three SEASONS, Nate Robertson has been ours. Not only does he, regularly, take tough losses and well-pitched no-decisions, if that ain't bad enough, it seems like he ALWAYS is the staff "leader" (read as: "victim") in Un-Earned Runs. I would like to presume that the rest of the team doesn't hate the guy, but they have a funny way of showing their support. So, if it goes to arbitration, after the team rep delivers his side, Nate can stand up and say, "Well, what about the way I get FUCKED all the time, no matter how hard I work?" And while I'm ranting, I can't help but point out that Nate started Game 1 in both the Yankees series and the Athletics series. He (of course) didn't come away with 2 Wins, but we won both series. Leyland didn't have him start Game 1 of the World Series.

Ravine

Post Number: 551
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it turns out that the Tigers announced, today, that they have signed Rodney to a two-year deal. It would seem that they whipped up the one-year deal in time to forestall going to arbitration, and had intended, the whole time, to wrap up a two-year deal. Actually... I like the guy, but I was happier with the one-year.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4319
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arbitration...ugh. That has to be the worst! Each side has to argue the worth and the reasons why they're not worth it and then magiacally you have to come to a middle ground AFTER you've espoused all of that dirt on the other one.

I'm glad Dombrowski's taking care of all of these things before it goes that route.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.