Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Webber to Detroit, LA? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 655
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to MSN for my sports news (since they got the Tigers prediction better than everybody else last year). According to them, C-Webb is headed to the Pistons:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/s tory/6363194

The Detroit News, however is reporting that he's headed to the Lakers?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070112/U PDATE/701120452

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4244
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dueling newspapers and their cadre of un-named sources! Sigh.

I'm thinking that CWebb might be inclined to come home and possibly try to right some of the PR damage that he had inflicted to himself during his Michigan days.

Besides home cooking can't be beat.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Webber decides he'll play for the Pistons

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070115/SPO RTS03/70115028

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what's the rotation going to look like now?

Smogboy

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Webber at starting center would be my guess, but he'll also be the first one yanked off the floor as well. I think it's going to be center-by-committee with Webber & Mohammed sharing duties.

But it's just my guess.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear Nazr is going to the T-Wolves

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Full story on ESPN.com What has Nazr done here anyways?

Smogboy

Post Number: 4256
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm not the type of guy that can sit on the bench happy. I came here to play," said Mohammed, who came to Detroit as a free agent last summer after Ben Wallace left for Chicago. "If I'm not in the plan, I would ask for a trade." as quoted in the article in Yahoo.

I'm not exactly saying Mohammed is a bum by any stretch because he really hasn't been here long enough to really fit into the system but if he feels that way as opposed to relishing the competition for the spot, then he should go.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mohammed was a lame signing anyway. And this Webber deal isn't much better. It looks like a case of "too little, too late." Pistons fans wanted Webber years ago when he was a free agent and instead of coming to Detroit, he went to Sacramento. The Pistons blew at the time and he wanted to play for a contender. Well, we see where that got him.

Yes, he will give us some solid minutes, there is no doubt about that. But imagine Webber in a lineup a few years ago with Big Ben and 'Sheed. That Game 7 result in San Antone would've been much different.

He's old and prone to injury. Pardon my skepticism, but I think it was a punk move that he didn't come here when he originally had the chance. The Tigers sucked and Pudge still came. Look at how that worked out.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

imagine Webber in a lineup a few years ago with Big Ben and 'Sheed.

Two words: "salary cap"

If we'd had Webber, we couldn't have kept 'Sheed after that first (partial) season, nor would we have acquired 'Sheed in the first place, I'm guessing.

Southofeight

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guess is dead-on. The cap was what also prohibited the Pistons from being a player in the Iverson deal. I'm all for anything that bolsters the lineup, and if Webber's presence does that I'll be the first to eat my words.

He won't be the solution to their playing problems but he should help.

Southofeight

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And speaking of which, what in the world has been their problem over the last eight or nine games? Did anyone catch any of that game yesterday? Webber showing up at The Palace was probably THE highlight.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billups. Since he went out, the Pistons have sucked.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4273
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell that to Royce who started that other thread blaming Chauncey and calling him the Achilles' Heel of the team. They need Mr. Big Shot back. Having a Webber isn't going to hurt and if this move can somehow spark his career a little bit before he fades into the sunset, more the better.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4313
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After that first game, I'm hoping that Webber gets himself into game shape soon. He did look a bit sluggish and that's to be expected with his layoff. But I'm hoping he's still got something in the tank for the post season.

Thank goodness he's got some height though. I saw his vertical leap and I think Bill Laimbeer probably had an inch or two over Webber's jump... and that was barely enough to clear looseleaf paper on most nights.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Webb put up more points last night, but he moves kinda like cold grits .... on defense too. Chauncey was absolutely beating ass though.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, obviously a crippled CWebb is better than a healthy Nazr. Plus Chauncey and Rip are absolutely ecstatic about his addition to the starting lineup.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4321
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen a few of those passes to Rip and Chauncey and I can see why CWebb was famous for them. Wow! If nothing else, it should open up the lanes for those two. Rip's speed will be a joy for Webber to pass to and Chauncey's shot will be nice as well.

It's going to be a new look Pistons now. We'll see if it's enough to propel them deeper into the playoffs now. I know Joe D. still wants to tinker and swap out another piece so we'll see.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.