Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Chaucey Billups is the Pistons achilles heel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After tonight's Knicks game, I am convinced that the Pistons will not win another championship as long as Chauncey Billups is on the team. He chokes when the game is on the line. Period.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheed is the true Achilles heal, Chauncey has a bad game here and there, but Sheed c'mon. He throws up a rediculous amount of 3s, regardless on if he connects or not. When he misses, there's a mismatch in regard to offensive rebounding.

A_franklins_son
Username: A_franklins_son

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chauncey fouling Marbury attempting a three at the end of the 1st ot was stupid and unnecessary. Chauncey fouling Richardson going to the lane in the 2nd ot was stupid and totally unnecessary. Chauncey taking that 3 point attempt in the 3rd ot while on a shooting slump...

He is the reason the Pistons lost the game tonight. It was a good one, though.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How soon we forget.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4160
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, one game. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a LONG season and I'd like to think that Chauncey is cerebral of enough of a player to realize his mistakes. He's the one guy who I think has probably altered his game the most since his Colorado days. For the most part he seems to understand his maturation into the much more complete player he is now. But maybe tonight he just had a bad game.

Every phenom, superstar, or Hall of Famer is entitled to a few weak games over the span of their careers. I'm not going to worry too much about it. I'd say that Chauncey has WON us more games than he's lost.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4161
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides I think the REAL Achilles' Heel of the Pistons is Matt Millen...oh, oops... wrong team. My apologies. I saw the piling on and couldn't help but dredge up his name.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you can say Chauncey had ONE bad game. However, to me, the way he played tonight is indicative of how he has played when the game matters.

Rip Hamilton puts up 51 points and the Pistons lose? Chauncey Billups has 16 points and contributes to four critical errors in the game. What did he do the last game of the Eastern Conference Finals against Miami? What did he do in game seven of the 2005 Finals against San Antonio? I think there is enough evidence against Chauncey Billups to make my claim.

How many more critical errors will Chauncey make in key games before more of you see my point? Stay tuned.

(Message edited by royce on December 28, 2006)

Smogboy

Post Number: 4163
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think any of us are saying that he DIDN'T blow this game or those others but also look at it with some balance. Chauncey's also WON some big key games for us too.

I'd like to think they don't just give out the playoff MVP to chumps. And how did he earn his nickname of Mr. Big Shot.

He's a competitor; sometimes you win and few and sometimes you lose a few. Balance.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 647
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the record before was good on back-to-back's but it wasn't going to last forever. We had a tough contest against the Nets, only to fly out with them to NY and play a Knick team that was well rested. True, the Knicks suck, but the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 580
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if Blalock is the answer at the backup point guard position, but the Pistons have to find a way to keep CB's minutes down. As far as his performance in the playoffs last year, he was clearly tired and he said as much. He just wasn't getting his legs into his shot. He's a big point guard and playing the 37 plus minutes a game that he's been playing is going to take it's toll again this year.

Clearly there were some boneheaded plays by CB last night, but overall he's been one of the best PG's in the NBA over the last few years.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow the guy gets the nickname "Mr. Big Shot" because hes clutch and because he has a bad game now all of a sudden hes a choker. I love sports fans with a short memory. Chauncey is the one player on this team that can single handedly take over a game if it was needed. He gets to the basket better than any other Piston, is our best long ball shooter, and is our best player at the free throw line. Yeah sounds like a real achilles heal. *eyes rolling*

Tetsua

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see any reason to change the line up quite yet. Even though Sheed does piss me off from time to time, I think this starting 5 is more solid than last year even.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Monday, January 08, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm... the recent slide? No Chauncey? Correlation between the two perhaps??

Tetsua

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't like Blaylock so far. It doesn't seem like there's any method to his madness.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4231
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blalock's a rookie right now so we might have to cut him SOME slack right now.

Fan_of_d
Username: Fan_of_d

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some analysts from ESPN's insider figure that Chauncey is a lock to re-sign with th Pistons, this being a contract year for him, if Detroit spends at least one of their two first round picks on a center that is offensively inclined. One would think that Flip would be down for the same selection. Lets let Mr. Dumars work his magic. No pun intended, but the Pistons' other first round pick is courtesy of Orlando.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard a rumor today that Sheed will be riding the bench for a bit, is this true?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11143
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

After tonight's Knicks game, I am convinced that the Pistons will not win another championship as long as Chauncey Billups is on the team. He chokes when the game is on the line. Period.

Royce,

I hope you were kidding with your initial post. Billups is by far the best player on the team. Even though they lost by 1 point tonight, it was the best game they have played in a long time, as a team. I can't wait until Webber gets the plays down and gets in a groove, he's gonna make a world of difference!

Tetsua

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda liked Webber's debut performance as a Piston. He didn't seem like he was over anxious to prove himself as a scoring threat, instead always looked for the open man. Seems like he might fit in just fine with Piston basketball.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4296
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was funny on his first series watching DelFino nudging him to be in the right position! It'll take him some time to get acclimated with his new teammates but once he does, I think Webber still has a little more left in the tank to make the Pistons that much better.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.