Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Give blood fight Probie « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 937
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonder what he's up to these days. Remember the McSorley fight? i hear he's a tool maker in Windsor

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4004
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At times, I think Probert was more of a tool.

He had some impressive skills that lended himself to the NHL of that era. Instead he had to go and do all of that stupid drug & alcohol stuff that led him to squander his career. I still recall hearing how he tried to smuggle a vial of coke across the border in his shorts and how he couldn't play the away games in Canada because of it.

Sad.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He looked ok last night at the Steve Yzerman number retirement. Good to see him. He got major applause from the crowd twice last night. He looked ok, just older...a bit heavier.

I do miss the "old" NHL days when it was almost a given that you would see Bob fight the other team's tough guy.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9118
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I know Bob, he has had some problems in the past and in the last few years. His demons continue to haunt him but he is always trying to fight them and do the right thing.
He is genuinely a great person who would give his shirt off his back to you if he knew it would help. His problems are his and they affect no one else but him and his family.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do a wikipedia search. If you wanna see the McSorley fight (or my other fav the Domi fights part 1 and 2) you can find them on you tube. That fight goes on forever.

Love StevieY mocking Domi with his championship belt motion after Domi takes a Probert pounding in round 2.

God I loved the old hockey. Just for fun I recently you tube'd the McCarty/Lemieux turtle fight followed by Mike Vernon pounding Patrick Roy. I will never grow tired of that fight. The other good one is when one of (if I remember correctly) the Buffalo Sabres goes after Stevie, Stevie puts up a decent fight (for a non-fighter) but the Sabre player had already violated the unspoken code. Probert came out on the ice and just waited to pound the guy. Cracks me up, plus it was fun to see quiet Steve out there throwing fists. :-)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 696
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, I think he got arrested damaging his neighbours property (and roughed up the cops) in July of 2005. I just happened to go by his place after the Tigers game and the cops had Riverside blocked off.

I am sure he is not a bad person, but roughing up the police is not the sign of a good citizen.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man they need fighting back in the NHL

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've got fighting, but not enough of it anymore. Don Cherry has been lobbying for fighting to stay for the whole season now. About time someone tried to help it out.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4257
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone explain the NEED for fighting to be back in the NHL?

I'm not saying it isn't exciting to see two guys go toe-to-toe with one another but is it necessary? Is that all that we're asking for is the excitement of two guys fighting? If that's the case, then shouldn't we be going to see UCW, boxing or some of those other fighting formats?

There really isn't fighting in collegiate hockey ranks without serious repercussions so why are we suddenly so hungry for blood again? If hockey can't stand on its own merits of being an exciting game on strategy, offense and defense and needs a fight to liven up the game- is there something inherently wrong with the game then?

Because if we endorse fighting in hockey then why aren't any of the other major sports calling for it? It's not like football and basketball aren't any less physical. I'm still not sure if we do need fighting back in hockey; I'm on the fence on this one.

Are we just stuck pining for the days of Probie, Kordic, Domi, Grimson, Kocur, Semenko and the other enforcers as the new NHL progresses forward?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture: Kris Draper being slammed into the boards face first by a charging Claude Lemieux.

What's more likely to cause Claude to stop that? 5 minutes on the pines, or McCarty beating him senseless for a minute or two?

The reason why fighting is necessary is to keep your stars from getting cheap hits from the other team's goons.

YMMV.

James

Smogboy

Post Number: 4269
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fighting is necesary? Then why isn't this true with the other sports? Sure you bring up that one hideous incident with Draper and Lemieux but what if the league were to have come down and suspended him for 20+ games? What if Claude were hit in his pocketbook AND removed from helping his team? Wouldn't that hurt his team more so than a pummeling? And sure the McCarty pummeling of him was a nice retribution for us Wings fans but beyond that, does it deter other random acts of stupidity?

Theoretically if there were no goons on either team, there technically wouldn't have to be any enforcement, right?

Again, I bring up fighting in hockey as a whole to discuss as opposed ot isolated incidents. Why is hockey the only major sport where people want it back? I'm wondering if it isn't better without it...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 3:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baseball... Beanball? Bench clearing brawls?

As far as deterrence, just the fact that McCarty caused Claude to "turtle" in the first meeting of the next season, sent a message to the league that "we aren't going to take cheap shots".

It is a part of the game. There is no denying it.

Bertuzzi-style spine-breaking hits? Unacceptable.

But when two guys drop the gloves and go at it on the ice... let them go at it. It's better than cheap hits and (possible) penalties, IMO.

James

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey ruled back then. "New" hockey sucks.

I'd like to see some forumers list their favorite tough guys/brawlers. I always thought Probert and Kocur were definitely the bad asses of the league at that time, and you can certainly make a case for Tie Domi (who, when you rearrange the letters of his first and last time, spells "Me Idiot").

Others? Scott Stevens? Tony Twist?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Cherry said the same thing a couple weeks back. Suspend the guy, and retaliatory fights will stop (Rangers vs Capitals a couple of weeks back). But if you watch clips of fights, the fans love it. That would take some of the excitement out of the game.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4270
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass- when you say that fighting is an inherent part of the game, then why isn't fighting as prevelant in the collegiate & lower ranks? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but when they fight at those levels the penalties are much more severe than a five minute squat in the sin bin. If everyone says fighting is such a great deterrant, then why are there still cheap shots?

In reference to baseball with beanballs and bench clearing brawls, how often does that happen compared an NHL fight? Again, fighting does happen in ALL sports- but it also seems as though the other leagues are trying to do away with goons and letting the true talent shine. The other leagues sit you down for a good long time, suspend you, hit you in the pocketbooks with fines AND in essence hurt the team as much as the offending individual.

I'm all in favor of a physical hockey game (to me, that's inherent of the game) but I could care less for the days of relatively no talented players like Stu Grimson or Gino Odjick who's sole responsibility is to come onto the ice and fight. To Probie's & Kocur's credit, those guys still had some scoring touch and weren't the supposed team's insurance policy at the end of the bench.

I think the game is evolving to the point where talent is going to be key. Being big & physical doesn't mean you can't skate & score anymore. Guys broken out of the mold like Pronger, Chara, Scott Stevens and Bertuzzi will be the new NHL- skill and size. Even guys like our own Vladimir Konstantinov & Marty LaPointe who weren't massive by any stretch were still skilled and physically intimidating.

The NHL game is evolving, like it or not.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I apologize for getting slightly off topic, but is there any worse-looking fight in pro sports than a basketball fight? It's all open-hand, near-miss slaps. I mean, except for Kermit Washington clocking our own Rudy T., it's like a bunch sissies out there in a catfight.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was good to hear that Bob was part of the Wings Alumni game this past Saturday. I was sick at home that night or i would have been down there.

Anyone know when Fox Sports will broadcast the game?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6154
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fun enforcer to watch in the old NHL was the tragic John Kordic

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 763
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Leafs traded one of their best players at the time, Russ Courtnall, for John Kordic. No wonder the Leafs were so bad in the 1980's.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really haven't decided my opinion on fighting in any sport yet. On one hand, I say "Hell Yeah, let em fight!" cause I do absolutely love that crap. Judging by how many fans start hootin and hollerin any time a fight/brawl, etc breaks out in any professional sport (notice I didn't say amateur/collegiate), most people love it.

On the other hand, it is NOT the way ANYTHING should be solved in "real life". You don't get frustrated with the guy at work for takin a smelly crap and not flushing and then go pound him for a few minutes, get sent to the penalty box, and all is forgiven. You never hit anyone, in any way, for any reason. Why shouldn't sports be the same way? Especially if kids are involved in watching this stuff. Adults know they can't do that, kids might be tempted to try it (though I always argue it is the parents' responsibility to ensure their children don't act a certain way, not the responsibility of a league to protect said kids).

On the other hand, if it is in the rules, everyone on the ice/field/court would know what they're getting into, they understand it is entertainment, they know it is allowed and it could happen. Beyond that, fighters fight, and those who don't want to are for the most part left alone. It isn't as if a guy like Probert is gonna go start pounding on somebody like Zetterberg.

I still say they need more of it. It makes the games more exciting, I love it, it adds that raw emotion that so many sports lack today. Reminds me of when I was a teenager (and while as a swimmer I wasn't exactly a fighter), I used to love thinking to myself that I was gonna kick somebody's ass, and if they beat me, I was so pissed I made sure it never happened again. I can't do that anymore, but I can still see it and experience it through a good hockey fight. It makes me feel good to see people with that much passion who don't have to keep their emotions inside. I just love it. Cheap shots, dangerous hits (Bertuzzi/Lemieux) are unacceptable. But agreed-upon, gloves off, punch-fest is always fun. And it adds to the actual game even after a fight is finished (how many people couldn't wait for the next Avs game, or the next Pacers game?). It just makes the sport better. And it fits a game like hockey, where the guys are moving fast, and contact is commonplace. Even if fighting in baseball were allowed, it wouldn't be much fun to see fighting all the time. The players generally aren't close to each other, they generally never touch each other. It would be boring to watch it unfold (run across the field....waiting...waiting...o kay now fight). Hockey moves so quickly that such things just happen. For some reason it fits.

I really think it should be back. I think most fans agree they like seeing the stuff settled on the ice, a 4-5 minute slap on the wrist, all is forgiven (maybe) and play continues. The fines/suspensions, etc that happen in other sports just seem so, sissy, maybe? They drag on. Its in the news. Blah blah blah. Fight it out like men. You throw a few punches, you respect each other at the end, and you get on with the game.

That's just my opinion of course.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

smogboy-apparently you haven't been to any minor league hockey games lately (AHL, ECHL, UHL, etc.). fights happen in those leagues WAY more often than they do at the collegiate or pro level. I'm all about the basics of the game, too (good offence, defence, puck handling, etc.), but as Barry the mullet says, "Let us police ourselves!" Like what was said earlier, yeah, hit 'em in the pocketbook, but those guys make so much money (even at entry-level salaries) that even the "paltry" sums they get fined, it's not that big of a deterrent. Either up the $$$ value of the fine, or else look forward to a shellacking (? sp) from the other teams tough guy!

speaking of favorite tough guys, nothing finer than a Scott Stevens open ice hit (most of which were perfectly legal (no elbow), by the way!) The one where he levelled Eric "DoughHead" Lindros was my favorite.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4579
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pdtpuck, I have been to several of the aforementioned games. I understand why those guys need to fight, claw and scratch more. Their livelihood there is to achieve the next level- the pros and the even bigger salaries at the NHL level. They want to garner more attention to themselves any which way they can and unfortunately lesser talented players might have to "prove" themselves by being a little more physical.

And sometimes seeing hungrier players at that level is much more entertaining than seeing some of the games at the pro level where at times, you can almost spot a player mailing it in.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 227
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

unfortunately lesser talented players might have to "prove" themselves by being a little more physical.

thank you for that. can you say Matthew Barnaby? Donald Brashear? Brian Marchment? :P

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 125
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave "The Hammer" Schultz....Dennis Polonich/Wilf Paiement.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.