Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Michigan Vs. Ohio State: Battle for #1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3052
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

November 18 -The Show down at the Horseshoe

Will it be a battle of epic proportions or will it be a blow out?

Your comments please....

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it's a close game that comes down to the final quarter.

I'm not a fan of either school, but as a fan of college football you have to be excited for this game!

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2886
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, you are jumping the gun a bit ... Michigan has to get through Ball State on Sat ...

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Done, but not by much!

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Ohio State was looking ahead too. The Iliini hanging around them

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good practice for the Boys in Blue.

Both Ball state and Illinois have scambling mobile QB's like Troy Brown

Umstucoach

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you mean Troy Smith.

Troy Brown is #80 for the Patriots

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

picture

Captain Picard says "Go Boldly and beat Ohio State."

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 339
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice one Zulu! I thought you'd be a Captain Kirk fan, but I guess I was wrong. :-)

After seeing Illinois being able to contain Troy Smith, I have better confidence that we can stop that dual threat Beelzebub come Nov. 18.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3074
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He actually said that at the Ball state Game During Half time.......

The cool thing for the Blue is that Indiana and Ball State both have QB's like Troy Smith, mobile and Vick-esque.

It'll be good practice for the Defense...

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not familiar with BCS rules ... with louisville losing and the other 1 loss teams apparently not of the caliber of OSU and probably UoM, with a close game between them could UoM and OSU end up facing each other TWICE this year?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's possible, especially with Florida and USC each probably losing another game, and Rutgers possibly coming out undefeated. I would personally like to see UM v. Rutgers but I could understand seeing OSU remain at number 2 if they lose a close game.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2212
Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The game is on!

On paper, it's one of the best matchups ever. But will it be a great game, too? All that matters is a UM win.

Texas and Cali losing, along with Florida almost being upset and Rutgers being continuously questioned, raises the possibility of a rematch in January.

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Trojans !

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is going to take a USC victory over Notre Dame, another Florida loss and a WV victory over Rutgers to insure that a rematch is possible. Also a rematch with UM winning the first game is more likely than if OSU wins the first game.

Of course all this for a mythical championship.

(Message edited by _sj_ on November 13, 2006)

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every possible script for 11-18-06 dances in the minds of the media; everything considered. That's why they play the game. Pistons 05-06, Wings 05-06, Tigers 06. Very proud memories falling a 'lil short. Ask the Scarlet Knights what euphoria feels like; even if they fall short in the eyes of the media gurus. Like our Motowners they played that day. That's all that you can ask. It's ony a game. BUT M GO BLUE!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3085
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TAKE BACK TOLEDO

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 774
Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's Play Two

A good article from Yahoo Sports about UM/OSU meeting up again for the Championship Game.

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Michigan just kicks their ass and we can stop talking about rematches.

GO BLUE!!!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hail to the Victors The Yellow and the Blue
© Louis Elbel/The Regents of the
University of Michigan

Written 1898

(Audio clip: WAV | AU )
Sheet Music (pdf)
© (Charles M. Gayley, M. W. Balfe)/
Regents of the University of Michigan

Written 1889

(Audio Clip: WAV | AU)

Now for a cheer they are here, triumphant!
Here they come with banners flying,
In stalwart step they're nighing,
With shouts of vict'ry crying,
We hurrah, hurrah, we greet you now,
Hail!

Far we their praises sing
For the glory and fame they've bro't us
Loud let the bells them ring
For here they come with banners flying
Far we their praises tell
For the glory and fame they've bro't us
Loud let the bells them ring
For here they come with banners flying
Here they come, Hurrah!

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu'ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West!

We cheer them again
We cheer and cheer again
For Michigan, we cheer for Michigan
We cheer with might and main
We cheer, cheer, cheer
With might and main we cheer!

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West

http://bentley.umich.edu/bhl/e xhibits/umosu/umsongs.htm

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 614
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan by 10!

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan Vs Ohio St

Yawwnnnnnnnn................

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 564
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan 21 OSU 14

Michigan D line dominates and is the story of the game.

Umstucoach

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what you are hearing on the radio and the tv. This Ohio State team is so dominant, they will just walk over this Michigan team, whose defense is good, but they can't stop Jesu-whoops, I mean Troy Smith (gotta catch myself there).

Then why do I have the same quiet confidence like I had against Notre Dame?

This shirt pretty much sums up my feelings about the State of Ohio and their stupid pennant state flag: http://www.spreadshirt.com/sho p.php?op=article&article_id=14 78275#top

Hagglerock

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umstucoach,

I have that same quiet feeling too, although I also had it for some of the games we ended up dropping last season. However I like the fact we are not favored. Michigan football has always seemed to play at the other teams level, for us that only means we'll be that much tougher. Look for Troy Smith and CO. to have a rough day Saturday.

GO BLUE
D

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two from Yuppie Slayer,

http://www.logusz.com/~yupisly r/2/michigan.mp3

http://www.logusz.com/~yupisly r/20%20-%20Drew%20and%20Mike%2 0-%20TROY.mp3

I know the "Troy" clip is NFL, still funny.
Go Blue

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3675
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ouch...3 points

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That penalty on Crable was a killer. 3rd and 15 and instead of punting to Michigan they end up with a first down.

For the game of the century you'd think they could have a field that was in good condition.
No one had an advantage, but it was annoying to see players slipping and the sod lifting up like it was just rolled out yesterday.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me or does the ABC announcing team always pick one guy and talk him up as though he is Jesus Christ?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10887
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire Carr?

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, I don't know if you're joking or not. You have to commend Carr and the Wolverines. Not only did they go into a very hostile Ohio Stadium and play the number 1 team in the land, but they had to do it the day after they lost the face of Michigan football for the lost 40 years. Great job staying focused and playing with passion with what I'm sure were heavy hearts.

Hugo8100
Username: Hugo8100

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I fell in love with a woman from Ohio once. She left me broken hearted in a Madrid hotel. Damn Ohio.

Hagglerock

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a game, but sad to see those neanderthals from that mob of a school down south come out with a win. Carr is still the reason why we are Michigan, one loss or not. I'm still not happy with some of the play calling. I mean passing on a 3rd and 1 situation, when Hart was already averaging 6 yards per carry. What the hell!............. Anyways, should a, would a, could a explanations could go on forever, point being osu was the better team today.

Our consolation is the fact that we don't have to live in ohio, God that state is worthless. :-)

Go Blue till the day I die!

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get it
third and one, pass
third and three, pass
dust to dust
no cloud of dust
sorry Bo

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone had to lose. Unfortunately it was our state's team. You have to hand it to Smith though- that kid's got some moxie and was just picking apart the Michigan secondary early. It was still one exciting game where I thought either team could've pulled it out from the end.

Sorry, Bo. I still felt as though the team tried really hard and wanted to win one for you, but another time- another place perhaps.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hagglerock said it exactly right.

Those were the two best teams in the nation right there. Ohio State's offense is absurd but there is no doubt UM's defense made mistakes and had bad breaks. Michael Hart was as heroic as ever and I can't wait to see the final chapter of the Henne and Hart story November 17, 2007 (the one year anniversary of Bo's passing) in Ann Arbor, when they demolish OSU to complete an undefeated season, and I and my fellow students rush the sacred Michigan Stadium field.

and by the way: GIVE US A REMATCH

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will be a rematch, as you said, next year in Ann Arbor. I don't think I could ever feel good about these two teams meeting again this year. The Big 10 needs to spread around the ass beating. UM and OSU need to go out in their bowl games and show the other conferences how to play some ball.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2220
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a valid point. But Michigan remains number 2 in the BCS poll, which suggests otherwise.

Andysrc

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan is ranked #2 now, but it may not stay that way. I think that if USC (or possibly Arkansas or Florida) wins out, then there's a chance UM will drop in the BCS poll. For any of these teams to win out, it would take a victory over another team currently in the top 6 in the BCS. That would probably give them all the momentum they'd need to leapfrog UM. USC would have the best shot as they are just behind UM right now, and play #5 ND.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens the next few weeks.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1906
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When will these controversies convince the powers that be that it's time for a playoff system for Division 1-A football. The top eight in the BCS rankings play in a playoff. Period. It ends the crucial controversy of who's number one or two. A debate on if the eighth place team or the ninth place team deserves that eighth place spot is peanuts compared to the debate over number one and number two.

Now, if Michigan is still ranked number two today and they have no more games to play until the bowl game, then how in the hell can another team leap frog over them? USC played and won on Saturday and didn't leap frog over Michigan. Even if they defeat Notre Dame and UCLA, I still can't see the justification for advancing them passed Michigan at that point.

USC should have jumped over Michigan this weekend and if they lose to ND or UCLA, then Michigan could jump back into the number two spot. As it stands now, Michigan should remain number two despite what USC does, and therefore should play Ohio State for the "mythical" national championship.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way OSU and UM played defense in the "Big Game", it would be their asses getting whipped outside the conference. 81 total points scored?

Royce

Post Number: 1920
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a lot of folks on sports radio say that Michigan should play for the national championship because they only lost by three to the number one team. The fact is, the final score was close but this was not a close game. It wasn't like they went back and forth the entire game.

Michigan was playing catch-up most of the game and were down by eleven before they scored with under three minutes left to go. Remember: they needed a two-point conversion, which they got, to get within three points. Then they needed a miracle (getting the on-side kick and then scoring to tie or win) which they didn't get.

Playing close occurs when one team scores a last second touchdown or field goal or just misses a last second touchdown or field goal. Neither scenario happened in the Michigan-Ohio State game. Therefore, another reason needs to be argued that justifies Michigan getting a rematch with Ohio State. The argument that they only lost by three points doesn't cut it.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nor does your logic.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, It looks like they are one game away from the rematch after Arkansas's loss.

The out come of the USC Notre Dame game is now the only issue....

Royce

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock, that's all you got? I can't stand smart asses like you who make comments such as the one you just made, but offer no intelligent rebuttal. The Rock, either you are just too damn lazy to offer and intelligent response, or you don't have one. Which one is it?

Andysrc

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I think I agree with you. This wasn't a back and forth game with a lot of lead changes. It wasn't won on the final possession. It wasn't a game that OSU seemed to win based on sheer will and determination.

It actually seemed like a game that UM was fortunate to get within 3 points, and they were never really on the doorstep after the first quarter.

No reason for a do-over. It looks like USC is likely going to the championship.

The_rock

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce-You have got to learn to relax. The word "an" is not spelled with a "d."
I believe that Michigan was in that game right 'til the very end. A 3 point victory is a close game no matter how you look at it. Simple as that.
Sorry you were caught off guard. I forgive you for your insults.

Royce

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still the smart ass, The_rock. Still the smart ass. If I put in my second string defense after being up by 24 points with five minutes left to play and you keep in your first string offense and they score three touchdowns, was it a close game simply because you only lost by three points? No, it wasn't.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 980
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can't stand smart asses like you who make comments such as the one you just made, but offer no intelligent rebuttal."

I ain't like you're ever offering any cutting edge intelligence.
...but you would know a smart ass.

Hagglerock

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce,
Trailing by a couple of touchdowns never means the game is out of reach for either team, given the history of the rivalry. Even when U of M was down by two scores I never for once thought victory was out of reach. The same goes for ohio state when they were down 35-21, the last time Michigan won in 2003.

Honestly, I think the osu fans that say the game wasn't close are only kidding themselves and are really afraid of a re-match that’s at a neutral site (without their barbaric fans vandalizing cars, ripping off any opposing teams license plates and urinating on anyone not wearing scarlet and gray.)

Granted these comments are just my experience/perception, to me, that's simply the nature when these two teams meet each year.

With that said, GO UCLA next week!

Royce

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I ain't like you're ever offering cutting edge intelligence."

Eastside, I see that you and The-rock went to the same school: SAU - Smart Ass University . He must have been your frat brother as well.

The_rock

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better watch yourself hagglerock. You may be the next to feel the wrath of Khan, I mean royce. eastside and I have already taken a beating from her ( or him ) because we beg to differ with her ( or his ) opinion and/or did not take the time to list our side of the story in detail (although I thought you and eastside presented a pretty convincing argument).
There are those on the Forum site who consider themselves just perfect, and I guess that he ( or she ) is one of those whose opinions are the final word and God forbid that anyone take exception to them on anything , even as trivial as to what constitutes a close football game.

Royce

Post Number: 1928
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock, I stated that in my opinion I did not feel that the Michigan-Ohio State game was that close. I then stated that the argument that Michigan should play Ohio State again because they only lost by three was not the best justification for Michigan to play Ohio State again. I then gave my reasons to support my opinion.

I have no problem with someone disagreeing with my opinion. However, your response didn't say, "Royce, I disagree with your opinion because..." No, your rebuttal was nothing more than a sophomoric, smart ass response, that had you said that to anyone else they would have responded to you in a similar manner as I did.

The_rock, when you or Eastside have something to rebuttal, do it in a mature manner and offer some f'ing support for your rebuttal and not the crap you two shelled out about me personally. It has nothing to do with I think of myself as perfect. If you noticed, I didn't have anything negative to say to Hagglerock because Hagglerock stated his opinion and gave supporting arguments.

As I stated earlier, I can't stand smart asses. So, when people like you, The_rock, and Eastside only offer an insult to me instead of a rebuttal to my argument I get ticked off. Attack the argument not the person. However, since you made this personal, you give me no choice but to attack you and your little Eastside dog too.

BTW, The_rock I'm a he. You would have found that out if you had brought your smart ass to the forum football game.

(Message edited by royce on November 26, 2006)

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 981
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bla bla bla.

Royce

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, you win. You have just proven that you are the king/queen of smart asses. Long live the king/queen.

BTW, Eastside, good job showing your Bla, Bla, Bla skills on the Police Chase, 3 Killed thread. That was classic.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4509
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Far be it for jjaba to chime in to defend anything eastside, but Royce, return to your civil arguments and let them have merit. This personal attack stuff to a long-time Michigan Alum like The Rock bows low to emotions.

Michigan just got ranked #3 in the Sunday night poll. USC moved up to #2, behind Ohio State.
Hopefully we can all agree that Ohio isn't worth wasting anybody's time on.

jjaba, observer on the Westside.

The_rock

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba the observer is also jjaba the pacifist, the Allan Solomonow of the Forum, jjaba, trying to make peace between royce and the Rock, two adults going at each other like a couple of kids on the school playground.

And it looks like I started it with a rather tart remark/response where I "bowed low to emotions".
Sorry about that royce. My bad, as the younger member of the Forum say. Your analysis deserved a more definitive response.
And I do agree with you that Michigan should have remained #2 even if USC knocked off ND---so did Michigan and by more points as I recall.
If I am physically able, I will try to make the Forum football game next year and ask supersport to team us up along with eastside. That will probably stretch your tolerence to the max, but you never know. Good things might happen.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, November 28, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well played, Rock.

Of course, if you keep that up, pretty soon we'll start expecting all Forum members to act civilly, and then what would happen?

The_rock

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Wednesday, November 29, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Zephy---Sometimes a little confession is hard on the ego, but good for the soul.

And speaking of civility, wasn't it Rodney King who got beat up by L.A. cops some 15 years ago who later said:

"Can't we just all get along"?

Royce

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apology accepted, The_rock.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4517
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And he said from on high, forever forward, that there shall be peace in the valley AND on the Eastside.

jjaba.

Royce

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long live, Jjaba.

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess it's a rematch!!!!!!

Andysrc

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Florida is going to need a hell of a victory to have a shot of getting up to #2.

Hagglerock

Post Number: 346
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a game.
Well, we need florida to lose or barely win. The BCS is never a sure bet.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what a turn of events.... come on Razorbacks!

Royce

Post Number: 1942
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan doesn't get into the title game, then a playoff for Division I-A is needed. There are no controversies in other Division I-A sports because they have an established playoff system that crowns an undisputed champion. Why does Division I-A college football still lag behind what makes the most sense? It's simple: money. The bowls make money and make everyone in I-A land very happy. And greed supercedes logic.

(Message edited by royce on December 03, 2006)

Royce

Post Number: 1946
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Addendum: Greed not only supercedes logic, but greed supercedes fairness. The idea that in this country, with all of its supposedly great values such as freedom and equality, that the almighty dollar is more important than fairness shows that hypocrisy is alive and well. Oh, and forget about the integrity of the game and what we teach college athletes about playing fair.

It doesn't matter if your team goes undefeated and your team doesn't get a shot at the title because it has been determined that the money that can be made through the BCS system is more important than the fairness and integrity of the game.

Would a playoff system of eight teams out of 119 Division 1-A schools be such a drain on the bowl concept? How many schools already go to non-championships bowls anyway, 60?

I believe you can have a playoff and still keep the integrity and tradition of the bowls in place. Someone just has to say enough with greed and let's be fair to those teams that have worked hard all season to deserve a shot at the championship.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 158
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Florida.

*&^*&%$#$@$@#!

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may be the only time you hear me say this. Go Buckeyes.

Hagglerock

Post Number: 348
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy,
This old fan would never do that. That said I won't even turn on the game and will end up playing board games with my wife. Go Scrabble!

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If OSU plays lousy defense as they did against UM, Florida will eat them up.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3539
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pythonmaster called it ^^.

Big Ten overrated? That made two not-even-close spankings.

Michigan's was slightly excusable in that Southern Cal was essentially playing a home game, but the Buckeye's?? Ouch.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OSU and Michigan failed to show up--no question. Congratulations to both USC and Florida.

I was interested to note the vaunted "depth" of the SEC, and how Tennessee and Arkansas fared against their competition from the "thin" Big T1e1n.

The_rock

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought I would ever come close to being sorry for a poor Ohio State performance, but I came pretty close last night. Maybe my sorrow is more directed at the Big Ten conference which fared so poorly in the bowl games.
I was not impressed with Florida's win over Arkansas, but last night was a different story. They put it all together last night, and to hold OSU to a total of 74 yards offense has got to be one for the record books.
And yes, I now have to send a less than modest check to my buddy down in Gainesville. That will teach me.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bottom line...the TEAMS on the field determine the game far more than any rankings, alumni support, media hype, analyst, etc. Team up with your household/family. Expect the same results. To err is human. To win is precious.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very disappointing indeed. Michigan couldn't come up with anything 'creative' in their playbook - USC could read the Wolverines like a wide-open postcard.

OSU choked on this one, my Buckeye friends. The Gators now hold the NCAA basketball title and the NCAA football title at the same time - first time in history. Remember that Urban Meyer is from Ohio ..... coached at Bowling Green before going to Utah. Jim Tressel was outcoached and Heismann-winner Troy Smith was outplayed. Disappointing results all around for the Big 10 conference.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.