Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Red Wings Regular Season « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Explain to me again why we got rid of Legace for Hasek? That guy F'n blows. He was soft tonight.

Sure Manny didn't have a great playoffs, but neither did anyone on the team save Stevie. I certainly don't view his performance as reason they should have gotten rid of him, and ESPECIALLY not if Hasek is the best they could do.

Wings will be interesting to see. Who knows what way they'll go.

As an aside, it was great to see Stevie handing off the C to Lidstrom. A true passing of the torch from one era to the next.

Oh, and Shanney had a great game for the rangers tonight. We'll miss him

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 3828
Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We didn't get rid of Legace. From where I stand, he got himself off of the team. He demanded to be the starter or else. And not to mention his comments didn't exactly endear himself to his teammates last year as they were exiting the playoffs. The comments didn't exactly instill any confidence in his teammates & vice versa- therefore he alienated himself.

Now granted I would've started one of the youngsters in net and let Ozzie be the cagey veteran back-up but obviously Kenny Holland doesn't see it that way. I'm sure if Hasek really stumbles down the line, he'll be cut. It's not like he's making a boatload of cash here. He does have incentive clauses which coul dbe interesting but beyond that, Hasek still has a bit of an aura that can be intimidating to other teams.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a great start to the season, but not bad either... 2-2

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, give it some time! What is it...FIVE games into the season?
Hasek's not the only goalie having problems!

Hasek's #'s (so far):
W 2 | GAA 1.72 | SV% .897
Legace's:
W 1 | GAA 3.55 | SV% .867

(take 'em for what they're worth...Hasek has played one more game than Legace, BTW)

(Message edited by pdtpuck on October 15, 2006)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 879
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there still an NHL team in Detroit?

Smogboy

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wings willbe back in the spotlight soon enough. We've just been swamped over with the Tiger love fest for the last few weeks.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 game winning streak right now! I dont think we can dominate the Western Conference like in years past, but I certainly think we should still be competitive. I would be happy with a 4-5 seed.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5134
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY RED WINGS!!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 485
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five in a row!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 605
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the game last night, listening to the De-Troit Sucks chants. It got really quiet after the second goal in the third period. Quiet except for Wings fans, about 35% of the crowd, at least.

Ah Chicago, where you can see the Wings for $8

Chitaku

Post Number: 904
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Wings but a backlash needs to occur considering the ticket prices are double the tigers, and their payroll is less than half.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2294
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku. The Tigers get more money from television and advertising than the Wings do. Ticket prices are a much higher percentage of the Wings income than it is for the tigers. There are also way more home baseball games than home hockey games in a season.

Hit24sqft
Username: Hit24sqft

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Redwings are lucky to have the wins they do so far. Take away the 9-2 win against the mightly Phx Coyotes and the F-A goals record thus far looks bad. The PP and PK rank 28th and 29th in the league - this is a diaster. They need to beef up the offense - Datsyk, Zetter are too small and Lang is slowing down. I look for some good trades later on.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 504
Posted on Wednesday, November 15, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky enough to make it nine in a row, and to tie an all-time franchise-record winning streak!

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right Thnk2mch. I hear presidents trophy buzz.
The facts are bellowing the fire. Hasek is hot, and our all-stars are on fire. 9 in a row. At least they are following in the path they took last year in the early season. Can you name a team that isn't?

I'll give you a hint.

- They play basketball in Detroit -

Let's go Red Wings!

By the way...... they had a nice spot in South Park last night. Woo Hoo

Smogboy

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current Wings team is by no means the dominant the were in the pre-salary cap days. The penalty kill & power play still need to improve (I think they will just with the talent they have).

And I dunno, maybe because we were caught up in so much Tiger fever for so long, but I just haven't warmed up to the current crop of WIngs just yet. Hudler? Kopecky? Filppula? Langfeld? Markov?? These guys just don't personify the Wings that I got used to seeing. Sure they still have Draper, Maltby, Lidstrom and even Osgood, but since Stevie retired- this team doesn't have a solid identity with me just yet.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, i've found this years Wings to be unwatchable. I can't quite pinpoint as to why. It's just boring to me. Perhaps the retirement of Yzerman...the loss of Shanny and McCarty? I don't mean to echo Don Cherry but...too many European players?

I've loved the Wings for years but i just can't get into the games this year. I will make myself watch the Wings v. Leafs on Dec 9th though. Have to get interested in Original 6 games!

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a little update for you Hasek nay-sayers & Legace lovers...

Goals Against Average:
1. Dominik Hasek, DET 1.80
2. Martin Brodeur, NJ 2.10
3. Jean-Sebastien Giguere, ANH 2.17
4. Marty Turco, DAL 2.19
5. Evgeni Nabokov, SJ 2.22

(Legace is # 23 on this list)

Save %:
1. Cristobal Huet, MON .930
2. Chris Mason, NSH .927
3. Martin Brodeur, NJ .924
4. Jean-Sebastien Giguere, ANH .924
5. Dominik Hasek, DET .921

(Legace is tied for # 26 here...)

Wins:
1. Jean-Sebastien Giguere, ANH 23
2. Roberto Luongo, VAN 22
3. Martin Brodeur, NJ 22
4. Ryan Miller, BUF 21
5. Dominik Hasek, DET 21

(Legace is # 25 on this one)

Current West. Conf. Central Div. standings:
CENTRAL GP W L OTL PTS GF GA PP% PK%
Nashville 40 26 11 3 55 133 104 18.4 85.0
Detroit 39 25 9 5 55 117 85 15.3 83.1
Chicago 39 17 17 5 39 100 110 11.7 82.6
Columbus 40 15 21 4 34 102 122 16.2 83.7
St. Louis 39 12 20 7 31

(All stats from ESPN.com)

ok, you may continue to bash Hasek & the Wings now..........

(Message edited by pdtpuck on January 04, 2007)

(Message edited by pdtpuck on January 04, 2007)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1026
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one thing to consider is Hasek has a great defense in front of him while Legace has a garbage St. Louis team. I am not a Manny fan though

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we compare Hasek this year and Legace last year at this time? That would be closer. Hasek has the wings, Legace has the freakin Blues. Anyone would suck with that team.

And what's up with this western road trip? Jesus.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4230
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, those guys on the west coast aren't any easy pushovers any more. All of them are fast and competitive. They've all got some pretty spirited teams out there that can knock off anyone.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Can we compare Hasek this year and Legace last year at this time? That would be closer. Hasek has the wings, Legace has the freakin Blues. Anyone would suck with that team."

Tell you what - let's compare Hasek's playoff history to Legacy's playoff history. Legace did great in the regular season but chokes in the playoffs, whereas Hasek has proven over and over he can step it up under pressure.

Legace's inability to perform under pressure in the postseason is precisely why he is gone. Yes he had a good regular season. That doesn't mean shit once playoffs start and you panic under the pressure.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wings also couldn't buy a goal last year in the playoffs. If I recall correctly.

If Hasek stays healthy, its a good deal. Osgood... well his attitude is better than Legace's. Sooner of later the Wings are going to have to bring up some of the youngsters from Grand Rapids.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 299
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legacy got shelled, especially in the elimination game. Didn't matter how many goals the Wings scored because he'd lost the confidence of the team after he began letting in one soft goal after another.

In 2002, with the Wings down 3-2 to Colorado, under unbelievable pressure, Hasek went out and got two shutouts in a row to win the series against the odds.

In 2006, facing elimination, the Wings were up 2-0 against Edmonton in the third period and Legace promptly let two bad goals in. The Wings got another, and he went ahead and let two more bad goals in, and lost the game. In a single period in the most important game of his career.

The game before that, in a scoreless battle, he let in three goals in seven minutes in the second period, making it 3-0. It's hard to rally and score four goals when your goalie is panicking behind you.

You can't expect to score five goals every playoff game. Some need to be won 2-1 or 1-0. Legace could not win those games, and Hasek has proven he can.

Jrvass

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last year was a fiasco in the playoffs. Practically unbeatable in the regular season. I wonder if they had any "gas in the tank" at the end.

They need to step it up in the playoffs. It's not just only the goalie.

But isn't it nice to discuss a successful team like the Wings in the post season? We hardly ever get to do that with the Lions! :-)

James

Smogboy

Post Number: 4301
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this team you call... the Lions? We know not of what you speak.

But as far as our lads clad in the Winged Wheel, I really see some effort as of late. They might be the dominant team of the pre-salary cap era but there's still enough talent there to compete most every night.

My thought as the post season starts getting closer is that they rest Dominik Hasek a bit more. Let Ozzie & even Joey Mac get between the pipes from time to time. I think Babcock has done some nice things so far with the short road trips and letting Dom stay at home and resting. And as much as he deserves to be there, I think the rest from the All-Star Game will be a much deserved tonic for our goalies.

I'd also like to see them button down a little bit more in their power plays. There's something amiss as of late and I'm just wondering if we're still missing a big booming one time shot like when we had the likes of Hull & Shanahan.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting to compare how Hasek's and Legace's first two years of serious playoff minutes look.

GP MIN W L GA SA GA Avg SV %
3 68 0 0 3 39 2.62 .923
3 157 0 2 8 70 3.05 .886

4 220 2 2 8 84 2.18 .905
6 407 2 4 18 155 2.65 .884

Smogboy

Post Number: 4381
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snore. Did anyone care about the All Star game?

I just hope whatever ailed any of our lads as far as nagging injuries have had some additional time to heal.

Jrvass

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lions?

They claim to be a Pro-Sports team from Detroit!

Let's here it for the Detroit Demolition! 4 of all 5 past champions! They rock!

James

Smogboy

Post Number: 4454
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quietly the boys with the Winged Wheel for a crest are playing some pretty decent hockey.

My fervent hope is that they can give Dominik Hasek a little rest from time to time. I really wish Ozzie wasn't getting dinged up so much. Granted the shots on net are few so none of the goalies are getting that much work, but one still frets injuries as the playoffs loom in the distance.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.