Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Robberies blamed on fake cops « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Detroit News: Robberies blamed on fake cops
quote:

Detroit police chief says guns and badges seized; suspects believed to be using unmarked squad cars.

DETROIT -- Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings issued a warning to Metro Detroit residents Friday that two men impersonating police officers are "targeting people in affluent areas" and may be robbing motorists during traffic stops....

The chief said there are two men conducting a spree in Wayne, Macomb and Oakland counties. "They are targeting many people including those in affluent neighborhoods," Bully-Cummings said....

Also confiscated during the searches were large blue lights that adorn some unmarked police cars....

The imposters are thought to be traveling in unmarked police cars, dark-colored Ford Crown Victorias.

She advised motorists who might be suspicious about who is pulling them over to put on their hazard lights and pull into a well-lit area.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, even the Police in Detroit are dangerous. Who would have thought.

Jimaz

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the whole point of the article is that these aren't police. But in practice, that might not be apparent until it was too late.

I found it interesting that the word "affluent" was used so often in the article.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police in Detroit have always been dangerous. That's one of the contributors to Detroit's crime issue, although never talked about.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so basically if I get pulled over by an unmarked in Bloomfield Hills, I can flee? I mean, I thought they were THEM, your honor!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3201
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The police in Detroit have always been dangerous"

This isn't just Detroit. It's so spread out it's scary, really.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The police in Detroit have always been dangerous."

That assumption is absolutely wrong. There are bad apples in every police department throughout the U.S., but to say the Detroit Police have always been dangerous is a misnomer.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we pull into a well lighted area, what is to stop a robbery? Who is going to interfere in an apparent police stop?

Jimaz

Post Number: 4009
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who is going to interfere in an apparent police stop?

Maybe a legitimate officer?

I have a feeling they're very eager to catch these guys. It is a kind of identity theft and the police themselves are victims of it too.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican said: "There are bad apples in every police department throughout the U.S., but to say the Detroit Police have always been dangerous is a misnomer."

If there are bad apples then they are dangerous, especially when the good apples are protecting the bad apples!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.