Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Girl, 7, shot 6 times saving mom « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3971
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one's a miracle story.

Girl, 7, shot 6 times saving mom

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4006
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Calvin Tillie, 29, a four-time convicted felon whom Parker had dated for six months."

Keep these mother f$%ers locked up where they belong. Too many of them out on the streets, even though the cops know right where they are and have ample reason to bring them in.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5215
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She should have known better than to date a felon in the first place. This guy should be euthanized since he adds no value to our society whatsoever. I am quite pissed that our tax dollars have to go towards housing this fucker and feeding him for the rest of his life.

Keeping it real gone bad.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is a brave little girl who already had health issues. Bless her and her mother.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I co-sign. I hate the anti-death penalty argument. How can anyone justify keeping Calvin Tillie around? What can a piece of sh*t like that add to the human race? This is a piece of sh*t that without hesitation shot a defenseless 7-year-old handicapped girl. Some days I go beyond just supporting capital punishment and almost support cruel and unusual punishment.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5364
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She should have known better than to date a felon in the first place.

Glad to see that we are so quick to be judgmental...but then again given the source it does not surprise me as if ever woman you dated was a gold mine...

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5365
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"The first operator clicked off and I dialed again and told that operator a guy with a gun was holding me hostage with a mother and baby and threatening to kill us. I told her the name of the gas station and then she said they didn't have a unit to send."

That is a damn shame....

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Before Tillie could fire again, Alexis jumped over the seat between her mother and the gunman and begged him not to shoot her mother.

The police report said Tillie "without hesitation" pumped six shots into the child.

Wow...just, wow...

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He needs to die. I saw this on CNN earlier and it ruined my day, the girl lost an eye.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of a fund setup to help this child?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did this poor little thing die yet? Sometimes stories like this make me long for middle eastern justice. I recall one story of an Iranian serial killer who strangled 99 children. The judge sentenced him to be choked to death in front of the victim's families and then have his body buried in 99 pieces.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think so. Perhaps one of our more altruistic and resourceful DYes'ers could start one, I'd donate. I certainly hope she is insured.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 426
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at Tillie's record:

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 276276

Jimaz

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's in stable condition:
quote:

Alexis Goggins, a first-grader at Campbell Elementary School, is in stable condition at Children's Hospital in Detroit recovering from gunshot wounds to the eye, left temple, chin, cheek, chest and right arm.

Apparently they are impoverished:
quote:

The drama began to unfold just before midnight Saturday, when Parker called Ford and asked if she and Alexis could spend the night at Ford's home.

"She said she had no heat and they were very cold, and I said , sure I'll come and get you," Ford said.

I'm surprised at how much attention is being given to Tillie. Sure he displayed stunning brutality but isn't the really astonishing story about Alexis? How many people would make a sacrifice like that? I assume she knew what she was risking. That little girl deserves a medal at least. This could be turned into a very effective anticrime campaign.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 427
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a look at Tillie's record:

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 276276

Traxus
Username: Traxus

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's astonishing that a 7 year old body could handle that much punishment and live to tell the tale.

Six bullets?! I'm presuming they were a low caliber, but none the less...

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The first operator clicked off and I dialed again and told that operator a guy with a gun was holding me hostage with a mother and baby and threatening to kill us. I told her the name of the gas station and then she said they didn't have a unit to send."

I agree, just sad.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the death penalty, but in this case where it is more than reasonable to assume that this person was responsible for the crime, it doesn't make much sense for us to be spending our tax money on keeping him alive in prison.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4009
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After shooting a child, I'm guessing he won't last too long in prison either.

SHIV MUTHA F-

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I'd rather this guy spend his remaining years in a 7x5 hole 23hrs locked down with no visitation...

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should sell tickets to watch this man die. Bring back the death penalty and some of these criminals will think twice before they shoot.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From WXYZ:
quote:

A fund has been established for Alexis Goggins, the 7-year-old who was shot six times while saving her mother from a carjacker.

Alexis Goggins Hero Fund
c/o Campbell Elementary School
2301 E. Alexandrine St. Detroit, MI
Info: 313-494-2052

The gun was a 9mm.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not random because the people know the accused, it does seem like a lot more killings in Detroit this year have been of this nature. i.e. the assailant using a gun to resolve a minor disagreement, as opposed to shootings while committing another crime, drug related, etc.

401don

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It definitely costs more to execute a person than life in prison due to mandatory appeals, etc. and many death row inmates are being freed thanks to DNA testing, so I will never be in favour of capitol punishment.(I am not black but I know if I were I would not want 5 white eyewitnesses identifying me on a stormy evening.)
I am however in favour of making sure these guys end up in the general population in prison and the cops/guards broadcasting their crimes against children.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Jerrytimes - "They should sell tickets to watch this man die. Bring back the death penalty and some of these criminals will think twice before they shoot."

This Calvin Tillie is a piece of crap that needs to be taken out.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 4016
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Jack Ruby when you need him?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""The first operator clicked off and I dialed again and told that operator a guy with a gun was holding me hostage with a mother and baby and threatening to kill us. I told her the name of the gas station and then she said they didn't have a unit to send."

Unfucking believable. Detroit is NOT rising if this is still happening. Jesus, response times in Iraq have got be quicker....

At least the attendant was able to get through to someone quick

401don

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If "shots fired" doesn't move your call to the front of the line what does? Are there really no 911 supervisors who can prioritize dispatches when an operator says they have a shooting on the line? I hear people on this site complaining about no cops responding but I had no idea it was this bad. As much as I love Detroit, I could never live in a city with no emergency response for my family.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That poor dear precious child. I seen a picture of the little angel in the paper today. Such a bright-shiny little girl. Is there anyway we can drop off stuffed animals at the hospital she stays in?

As for the mother dating a felon, maybe she wasn't aware of his record or simply had faith him and hope he turned his life around. He is probably a sociopathic personality type.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 492
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, it was mentioned in the article that gifts of support can be left at her school.

How heart breaking to be robbed of so much at such a young, innocent age.

I guess, maybe the same could be said of Tillie. How else can you explain blood gone so cold?

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe that anyone on here would express one iota of sympathy for this POS.

Forget selling tickets to his death, I say we renew the age old art of stoning. We could sell the stones to the general public for a $1 a piece, and donate the money to what family is left after this jerk did his thing.

Perhaps exposing the public to his death will finally get someone's attention!

By the way, how many calls does it take to get a cop to your SHOOTING site? DPS needs to do MUCH better than that to be able to convince anyone in their right mind that they are in control.

Detroit needs to do whatever it takes to stop the genocide of young people in the city of Detroit. Until they are willing to pull out all the stops, along with 100% citizen cooperation, then these things will continue to be commonplace.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 830
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 911 support, or lack thereof.

Ford said she dialed 911 on her cell phone as she walked into the station.

Sometimes I just hate this city

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I cannot believe that anyone on here would express one iota of sympathy for this POS."

I hope you're not fooled by my comment.

Anyway, until something drastic happens, the reactionary comment from people affected by violent crime will continue to say, "this has got to stop!" The same thing that was said in the 1970s and the same thing that will be said in the 2040s. What specifically, gives any indication something in American culture is changing for the better in regard to that?

Jimaz

Post Number: 3980
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexis

Our littlest hero

It's humbling to think that a mere child could commit such a selfless act, or would ever even have to. This is truly a Christmas miracle.

(Message edited by Jimaz on December 05, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 653
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No punishment would be severe enough. Total animal. We all hear of shootings and robberies etc. This one is affecting a lot of people.

Unfortunately it takes a horrific crime like this to bring attention to an out of control situation.

911? Hang up and then turn them down on the next call

Police, don't show up?

Totally unacceptable. If not for the attitudes of city services, this would've probably never happened. The police would've showed up and diffused it before it ever started. The little girl and her mother may not have been harmed.

The Detroit 911 response center needs to be cleaned out from top to bottom. Remember the kid calling because his mother was having a heart attack? They told him to get off the phone and stop playing on the phone. His Mother died.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said:

-That little girl is incredibly brave and selfless, and I wish the best for her and her family
-The shooter needs to suffer immensely
-Emergency response in the city is atrocious

I just wanted to post in solidarity. The city needs change. . .

Jimaz

Post Number: 3981
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's situations like these that cause me to re-read The Little Prince. There is so much we have left to learn from our youth. Bless you, Alexis.

Spongebob
Username: Spongebob

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Governor Granholm is giving paroles whenever possible to save money. Because of that more of this sort of thing ,will occur in the future. Mr. Tilley had five prior felony convictions. In which four of the five ,were violent crimes.As stated by someone else. The mother used bad judgement, being around such a violent criminal.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 655
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "The mother used bad judgement,"

He probably lied to her. I'm quite sure he left "multiple felony convictions" and "prison time" out of his courting speel. She doesn't look like the type to be dating scumbags like that. She probably found out and 86'd him.

All speculation, mind you.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not agree with the death penalty no matter how horrid the crime and this one is pretty awful.

That said, this asshole should not be allowed any privileges, should stay solitary, and should not ever be put up for parole.

I feel bad for the little girl and I am absolutely disgusted at the 911 issues. I can completely relate to them. There was a time a few years ago when I was just within the city limits (on 8 mile) and I had an incident and the 911 operators were about as useless as a pet rock.

My issue was nowhere near as serious but 911 should not be a joke in this city. The operators are not well trained and the resources are overtapped. I think it is Detroit's greatest disgrace to be quite honest.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5860
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, you are correct... he won't last long in prision. He should be put in with the general population. Life will become a living hell for him there. Other prisoners don't take kindly to inmates who kill or shoot children. Just look at what happened to Jeffrey Dahlmer.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4533
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billions wasted in a war on terror, while terrorists live amongst us.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that our "system" grants this criminal another chance at life is probably the most disturbing part of all. If we can not rid our societies of angry monsters like this, then our society will be destroyed by those very people.

Crimes grow worse, sentences grow shorter, public safety loses its efficiency all while the honest people continue to sacrifice in every aspect of their lives.

It's no surprise to me that crime becomes a very popular way of life. What is the alternative for the have-nots?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of single mothers out there trying to have relationships with men they really do not know.
Maybe it's desperation to have a loving companion or it's selfishness; all-in-all, sometimes the children suffer from it.
There are ways for these women to do background checks on prospective lovers/friends......
they just have to take the time and do it.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"She should have known better than to date a felon in the first place"

^^^ did she know he was a felon?

Spongebob
Username: Spongebob

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone can go on line to my employers web site. The Michigan Department of Corrections. Click on the link offender search. You can check and see if someone has had a felony conviction in Michigan.Also what prison sentences were served. The site does not show felony convictions in other states though.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It always surprises me how many people don't know OTIS (the offender tracking system for the Department of Corrections) exists. It sounds glib, but the state should invest a little money in advertising it- I think a lot of these situations could be avoided if people were aware of who they were really dealing with.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she couldn't afford heat in the house I doubt she had access to the internet.

Yea, yea, I know about the library, yadi, yadi.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing is going to happen to this guy in Prison.

Reco Jones slit the throats of 3 little children in 1997 and he is still alive.

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 265341

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The young girl's aunt was on the radio yesterday morning. The mother DID NOT know that guy had a criminal history when they began dating.

When he started stalking her and threatening her, she got a PPO. She talked to his family and they then told her about his past felonies.

From the way the sister described it, she had been trying to get away from this guy for a long time.

The sister also said that the police were called 12 TIMES before a unit showed up. When the family demanded an explaination from the department, they were told that phone records showed that the police were only called 8 TIMES! RIDICULOUS!

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 2009
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If "shots fired" doesn't move your call to the front of the line what does? Are there really no 911 supervisors who can prioritize dispatches when an operator says they have a shooting on the line?

From my understanding, police are dispatched according to "priority" runs, and non-priority. Priority basically means that someone is in physical danger at that moment.

My guess is that this was not a 911 problem, and that the district/precinct where this occurred had all of its cars already on priority runs at that moment. In other words, not enough cops to go around. This is somewhat rare, but I know that this happens.

Someone who works for the DPD may be able to shed more light on this. Bottom line, Detroit probably needs to hire more cops. Some form of tracking 911 response times (for both priority and non-priority calls), and making that data publically accessible, is a critical need too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.