Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit defended by conservative outlet « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4103
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Review is a libertarian-conservative newspaper at U-M, and in their current issue they objectively cover the reaction to rankings that call Detroit the most dangerous city: http://www.michiganreview.com/ media/storage/paper1232/news/2 007/12/04/News/Cq.Crime.Rankin gs.Draw.Ire.From.Detroit.Offic ials-3131751.shtml

And they editorialized against the use of such rankings to form opinions, recommending that students visit the city, and suggesting that the direction of the city is not indicated by the negative rankings:
http://media.www.michiganrevie w.com/media/storage/paper1232/ news/2007/12/04/Opinion/Studen t.Experience.Should.Determine. Detroits.Repuation-3131675.sht ml

(each article is two pages)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whether it's the most dangerous or 2nd most or whatever, it's still a cesspool of crime and it's still really, really high on the overall crime list, so what difference does it really make?

It's like the people who thought it was a big deal when Bill Gates was overtaken as the richest man in world recently, when in fact both he and the guy who overtook him are still both filthy stinkin' rich...so who cares? what difference does it really make?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4104
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not about the ranking at this point, it's about what these often sloppily-constructed rankings should tell us. That editorial points out that a whole entire city gets trashed because of some crime-ridden neighborhoods.

It's terrible that parts of Detroit have so much crime; it needs to be dealt with...and this is a priority for people who live in the city. But for outsiders, the fact is they would come to Detroit because of its cultural attractions, events, etc., and the crime in some neighborhoods wouldn't affect them, yet these sensationalized rankings don't mention that parts of the city are extremely safe, and thus the general populace is being misled.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Other areas in Michigan did not fare well in the study. Flint was ranked the third-most dangerous city, right behind Detroit and St. Louis, and the Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn metropolitan region, where many of the in-state University of Michigan students are from, was ranked the most dangerous metropolitan area in America for the fourth consecutive year.

Interesting.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like New York and Chicago and other cities that get lots of tourists, Detroit has areas that are relatively quite dangerous and areas that are relatively quite safe. The areas where we welcome tourists and local visitors are probably as safe as the "touristy" parts of any big city in America.

The purpose of those rankings is to generate a profit for the company that produces the rankings, nothing more. It is senseless to use such information to make decisions. In this particular case, didn't I hear that even the FBI was complaining about this use of their data?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4105
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that's mentioned in the Review story.

The FBI actually had a strongly worded statement which mentioned the possibility to mislead through generalizations.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never liked the Michigan Review, and I can't say I'm impressed by their journalism skills in this article... But I'm glad they seem to be taking an objective look at this story. What did the Michigan Daily say on the subject?

I leave you with this hilarious quote from the first link:

quote:

Sehyoun Ahn '08, who lived most of his life in Korea and went to high school in Colorado, said he found Detroit to be worse than he imagined when he visited.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4108
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheart, the Review is more of an actual newspaper these days and hardly the polemical outlet that it was a three-four years ago. It's not like the Daily puts up stiff competition with it's journalistic quality (lack thereof). It's a shame that UM doesn't have a journalism program.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's not like the Daily puts up stiff competition with it's journalistic quality (lack thereof).

Yeah, I only used the Daily to read the Boondocks.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4109
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha.

To my knowledge the Daily didn't produce any of their own work on this subject, let alone editorialize. It's a sign that concern about Detroit is penetrating to some non-traditional venues.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the Michigan Review link. I used to search high & lo on campus for that paper (I can't remember if it was published bi weekly or only monthly), and appreciated its politics more than the lefty Daily.

Is the Gargoyle still published?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 4112
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Review is a biweekly. Gargoyle is still around. There's also the humor paper Every Three Weekly...did you have that when you were on campus?

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree totally with comments above, there is no doubt there are some neighborhoods in the city ( many) that are horrific crime wise.. But there are also many that are good, and exciting to live in. ( Ours is one for example - Lafayette Park). To blanket the whole city by media and various individuals all the time does not only do a disservice to those areas but is not reflective of the total truth. I have lived in " safe" areas of the suburbs and have lived here. My life is much richer where I live now. Everytime I go back to visit my "safe" former suburban enclave it is indeed a nice place to go to but also lacks terribly in the excitement, diversity and lifestyle that I have now. Lifestyle really is about choices and for those that desire a suburban existence then good for them, that is their choice, There are many of us who do not find that existence fullfilling and in the same regard good for us. I dont think it would be proper of me to label all suburban areas a cultural wasteland yet that boils down to the same analogy and generalization people use on Detroit all the time. It just amazes many of us who live in these areas how people luv to generalize without even knowing the details. If the whole city was nothing but a "cesspool of crime" do you honestly think many of us would live here and enjoy it. It simply does not compute.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.