Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Harbor Terminal « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Airborne
Username: Airborne

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at Detroit Harbor Terminal when I was in the 12th grade of high school. We made $1.20 an hour this was back in 1956. We unloaded the ships and sometime boxcars and gondola cars. Getting picked to work was like a scene out of the movie Waterfront.
Anyone else work there?

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know anyone that works there, I just know the old Bablo Sign is still painted on one side of this building.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go there and pick up ocean containers,back in the early 70`s. One hot day, a container blew up. Navy beans, moisture and the hot sun dont mix. It blew the doors of a 20 ft container. What a mess. Looked like a bomb went off!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ocean containers and Navy beans... how ironic!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Gnome's father and grandfather worked the barges that floated the train cars over and back. Grandpa worked as First Mate on the City of Cleveland, the City of Detroit and on that George Jetson looking boat ...

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2036
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I took the German freighter ( Hapag LLoyd Line) BUCHENSTEIN from Detroit Harbor Terminal for a weeks cruise to Montreal in 1970. A wonderful trip, no security concerns back then so the 6 passengers had pretty much total access to the pilot house, a daily trip to the engine room, meals with the ships' officers etc. Quite a different experience than what you have now on the big, glitzy passenger ships.
In the years following our trip, when the vessel came into the Lakes, we would go down to the terminal and meet Captain Stover ( Bremen) and take him to lunch at Joe Muer's for "creek trout" as he called it.
One of my very close friends retired recently as president of Detroit Marine Terminal/ Detroit Harbor Terminal after over 50 years "on the job", beginning with high school employment.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.