Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tiger Trade Rumors « Previous Next »
Archive through December 04, 2007Rugbyman30 12-04-07  7:05 pm
Archive through December 04, 2007Jonesy30 12-04-07  10:38 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have the arguably the best lineup in baseball the best young rotation in baseball and probably the best american league team to play inter league play given d-train's hitting ability.
Bonderman
Verlander
Willis
Rogers
Robertson
that is pretty dang good!

(Message edited by urbanoutdoors on December 04, 2007)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 981
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://e1.news1.yimg.com/e1.yi mg.com/ne/061110/telemundo/i11 631902403miguel-cabrera-3.jpg

If this is his girlfriend/wife he's done quite well.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn Henning proposes something I hadn't considered:
quote:

It also is possible Cabrera could play in left field, which would induce the Tigers to trade a hitter they just acquired to play left field: Jacque Jones.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 717
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NICE

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4340
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great deal. What a bombshell.
Only injuries or bad chemistry can stop this team.

I always like baseball-reference.com's historical 'similar batters' comparison algorithm.

Is our new third baseman is in good company? Or what!

Similar Batters through Age 24

Compare Stats
Hank Aaron (950) *
Ken Griffey (917)
Frank Robinson (911) *
Orlando Cepeda (910) *
Hal Trosky (902)
Joe Medwick (894) *
Al Kaline (893) *
Mickey Mantle (892) *
Andruw Jones (882)
Vladimir Guerrero (879)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera had 24 errors at third, and he played LF earlier in his career. Keep Inge, the heart of the clubhouse, and move Miggy to left. Jacque Jones is a bench guy now (HGH or the Clear?). Inge makes boo-boos but only cuz he gets to balls no one else even tries to snag.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first read 401don's "this will help downtown hotel occupancy," I thought it was kind of a strange comment. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder what this trade will do for the Tigers' regional following.

Think about the Cubs. People drive in from freakin' Iowa to go see Cubs games. Now we have the most stacked lineup in the Central, if not the AL- are we going to start seeing something like that?

My knee jerk reaction is probably not. The Indians are just across Lake Erie, there's nothing but Canada to the north and East, and Indiana baseball fans will just go to Chicago. But maybe there's a chance. If we're scoring 1000+ runs per season, who's to say that we couldn't put more out of state butts in the seats? Think about what that could mean for further downtown development in the stadia district.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3999
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's going to be one hell of a run this season. I absolutely cannot wait. Pitchers will dread their starts against the Tigers. Sleepless nights when the old english D's are coming to town.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6858
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!

Two Florida Marlins for the price of one. Welcome to the Tigers Willis and Cabrera. They are very talented in the 2008 Tiger Season line- up.

Good job Leland.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My knee jerk reaction is probably not. The Indians are just across Lake Erie, there's nothing but Canada to the north and East, and Indiana baseball fans will just go to Chicago. But maybe there's a chance. If we're scoring 1000+ runs per season, who's to say that we couldn't put more out of state butts in the seats? Think about what that could mean for further downtown development in the stadia district."

Believe it or not, I see A LOT of Old English D hats on the streets of Pittsburgh. The Pirates are in the same situation the Tigers were ten years ago, with no hope in sight, and their fanbase is looking west to Cleveland and Detroit. Because of the city rivalry between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, they move look even further west to Detroit. Jimmy L still makes his home here, and Pirate fan favorite Andy Van Slyke is a Tiger coach. I was really surprised to the reaction the Tigers received when they played in Pittsburgh in 2005. More fans in Western PA than I thought.

Indiana is split between Cubs (no White Sox, except for the Gary area), Reds, and Cardinals with a little Tiger following in NE Indiana thanks to the WJR signal making its way to Fort Wayne. My dad was a Tigers fan as a kid and he grew up there. Plus there are plenty of Tigers fans in NW Ohio.

Also, there are a lot of Tigers fans who have (sadly) moved from the area. They'll make their way back too.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true, Umstucoach. Maybe the Detroit diaspora in Chicago will start making a few more hajjes back home to see games in person. Lord knows there are plenty of them- remember hearing the cheers for the Tigs at Wrigley anytime they did something sweet? Easily louder that the Cubs faithful during that series, that's for sure.

(Message edited by Rugbyman on December 05, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that trade is gonna cost me some money. I'll just have to get the MLB package from my Vegas cable company for the entire season, instead of just the last half like last year..... :-)

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One member of the Detroit diaspora in Chicago, though I went to quite a few games last year at Comerica.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...chalk up 2 more units sold at the Book Cadillac?
"Welcome home, Mr. Cabrera."

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep says they are shopping Inge, Thames, and Durbin now.

I am surprised at Inge and Thames, I thought one would stay as a 4th outfielder

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because they're shopping doesn't mean they'll be traded. They're extras right now. They might keep them, but they may also try to parlay them into more relief pitching, or prospects to rebuild the farm system.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would bet that if they can't find a suitable trade for Inge they'll keep him and play him at third. Frankly, that's the way I'd prefer it to be anyway. Inge is a damn sight better defensively than Cabrera is. Play Cabrera in left.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cabrera plays 3B until he's too fat. Inge does not fit with the quality of hitters throughout the lineup. In baseball today, 3B is an offensive minded position. Inge's glove does not make up for the .080/10hr/60rbi he gives up to Cabrera. Besides Jones in left is a third lefty bat.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really can't see another team where Inge would play everyday at 3rd base. I think he will really be demoralized if he loses his job. Another team might want him to catch but he worked his butt off to be an excellent defensive 3rd baseman and it helped his hitting somewhat. The Tigers would probably trade him for a mid-level prospect just to dump his $6 million salary for the next 3 years. I would be okay with Cabrera in left. According to sports radio here in Toronto, the Jays are close to moving Alex Rios to the Giants for pitching and then would want a left-handed bat for the outfield. They are already mentioning Jacque Jones. Hot Stove league is great on a cold winter night.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, that sounds good to me, but why would the Blue Jays, who already have decent pitching, send one of the better hitters in the AL to the Giants, who have no pitching, for pitching?
Like, non comprenez, man.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Giants have that one guy. Forget his name.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 530
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about this hot stove league rumor (debunked, I hope):

http://www.metsblog.com/2007/1 2/05/buzz-no-go-on-willis-and- pudge-rumor/

Someone sent this WFAN (N.Y.) rumor to me.

I replied DET fans would riot if they traded Willis after trading their farm system to get him (and Cabrera).

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4343
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think Inge could be the dream utility player. He could play any position, including the important position of catching. With his gun he could even mop-up pitch if needed.

Unfortunately, he does not have the bat consistency [Thames either] to start full time on the high octane lineup the Tigers now have. But he plays every other part of the game well and has a lot of character. I hope he can go with the flow and get in 120 games in a variety of situations.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 531
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I like this quote (Freep Morosi):

"WHAT A RELIEF: Dombrowski, offering one reason why he's not actively pursuing more free-agent relievers: "If you have five pitchers who can give you a lot of innings, it can take you deeper into games. All of a sudden, you don't need your bullpen as early."

I'm not sure DET will need a closer in '08 ;-). (this is tongue in cheek, guys).

If the games are 10 - 3 in the 5th what is there to close? :-)

Adding Willis and more hitting should make a lot more games less nail biters in the late innings.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 532
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting quote (and it has to do with my ? about Ilitch's age and winning a WS NOW, not worrying about the team 10 years from now):

""Our owner's 78 years old," Dombrowski reportedly told one fellow GM. "He wants to win the World Series before he dies."

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine: The Giants need a strong, young corner outfielder to rebuild around for the next few years. Apparently they have offered either of 2 starters to the Jays. The Jays think they are going to lose AJ. (Always Injured) Burnett when he opts out of his contract end of 08 and want another front of the line starter to compete in the East. Jays' GM Riccardi, has confirmed the talks.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Illich should buy the Lions?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meanwhile you can say whatever you want about the Ford's, but they have never been cheap. They may make dumb decisions, but have never not given the team resources over and above what are necessary. Instead, maybe dombrowski, dumars, or ken holland should take on dual duties and become the GM for the Lions.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 984
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In hindsight the best thing to happen to the Tigers was having that 119 loss season. It motivated Ilitch to get involved and start wisely spend money.

Maybe that's the problem with the Lions and William Clay Ford. They haven't done enough losing to embarrass Ford and motivate him to put a winner one the field.
Just like I thought, it's impossible to type that out without laughing.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm not sure DET will need a closer in '08 ;-). (this is tongue in cheek, guys).

That's okay, they haven't really had a closer in about three years anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.