Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Metropolitan areas ranked for walkability - Detroit is #18 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Washington
2. Boston, Massachusetts
3. San Francisco, California
4. Denver, Colorado
5. Portland, Oregon
6. Seattle, Washington
7. Chicago, Illinois
8. Miami, Florida
9. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
10. New York
11. San Diego, California
12. Los Angeles, California
13. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
14. Atlanta, Georgia
15. Baltimore, Maryland
16. St. Louis, Missouri
17. Minneapolis, Minnesota
18. Detroit, Michigan
19. Columbus, Ohio
20. Las Vegas, Nevada
21. Houston, Texas
22. San Antonio, Texas
23. Kansas City, Missouri
24. Orlando, Florida
25. Dallas, Texas
26. Phoenix, Arizona
27. Sacramento, California
28. Cincinnati, Ohio
29. Cleveland, Ohio
30. Tampa, Florida

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/ 04/walkable.communities.ap/ind ex.html

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2293
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Leinberger counted only places where significant subsidies are no longer required to spur development. He predicted that many more -- such as downtown Detroit, Michigan, and Crossroads in Kansas City, Missouri -- would reach that point within the next decade.

Interesting.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"But the chief factor, he said, is the success of the Metro. The 31-year-old rail system has transformed the region, shaping development and making the walkable urban model more viable.

Leinberger calls rail transit a key factor in the success of walkable places. Roughly two-thirds of the 157 places he counted are served by rail, he said."

How much more evidence do we need before we see that mass transit is a necessity?

Lghart
Username: Lghart

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This list has no validity if NYC is below Miami, give a break. I lived in both and there is no comparison, not a big lover of NYC but it should probably be in the top 3 for sure with a store on every corner and subway/bus system throughout the city.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lghart,

I also agree, having lived in NYC and now Miami. I am thinking that they are looking at pockets of the city.

Here in Miami, everything is spread out and you need a car (just as in Detroit), but the South Beach area and parts of downtown and Coral Gables are very walkable.

Still, I would put NYC in the top 2 or 3 for sure.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3788
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This list has no validity if NYC is below Miami, give a break. I lived in both and there is no comparison, not a big lover of NYC but it should probably be in the top 3 for sure with a store on every corner and subway/bus system throughout the city.

Ever been to Jersey or Long Island???

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The study is including the metro area and I would argue that many parts of NYC and it's outer metro area are fairly "suburban" in design. Staten Island, some areas of Queens and as Danindc said, Long Island and Jersey.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the study was per capita (meaning number of walkable spaces per number of residents in the area). The population factor heavily weighs against NY metro despite Manhattan having the most locations on the list (there were 20 in Manhattan alone, whereas there were 21 in DC metro altogether) because there are over 20 million people in this area.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as being able to actually walk without having to get out of the way of speeding motorists is a different story.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to all of those cities, but frankly I was surprised Detroit was as high as 18th. Does anyone know what the "walkable places" of this area are supposed to be?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3971
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps it is because of our smaller downtowns, like Bham, Royal Oak, Ferndale, Plymouth, etc, in addition to Downtown Detroit. That spreads our walkability around the region a bit, rather than it all being in one place.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.