Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Does The "New Flashing Arrow Traffic Signal" confuse you???? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a year now since I start noticing the new LEFT turn signals.In case you don't know what it looks like, here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =O-h7bPSAd1A

I be coming across intersections that be having these lights and I seen some drivers act like that they don't know what to do.If you're used to the flashing red singals,then these new left turns won't be no problem at all, in fact ALL the old flashing reds WILL be replace with these new ones incoming months.I don't know about you but I like this new LEFT turn traffic signal.
It makes your left turn safely and all the states has them. Just remember:
MAKE A CLEAR LEFT TURN WHEN THE TRAFFIC IS CLEAR DURING A FLASHING YELLOW LEFT ARROW!
Hope this helps you out and drive safe!

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another link to makes it helpful:
http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0 ,1607,7-151-36652-157528--,00. html

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't run across one of them but I don't think they would bother me. What bothers me are the lights that turn green in one direction while still red in the other direction. Example, an east/west road where the traffic traveling west has the green light but the traffic traveling east has a red light. What happens is a person starts a left turn because they have a green light, but the person going in the opposite direction sees motion and thinks the light is green for them too, so they proceed through the intersection almost hitting the car turning left. I've seen that on a few occasions

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 219
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I now live in SW Florida, land of the Q-Tips during winter (Q-Tip is our term for retirees) and I only wish we had those flashing arrows down here. We only get the solid red arrow, and people still run those. I've almost hit a few people turning on those, and they look at you like they did nothing wrong. When I lived in Taylor, I remember the flashing red arrow as a very helpful and useful traffic signal. Down here they haven't graduated to that yet.

Wait till you get a roundabout. You want to talk about confused, effed up drivers!

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't they just use a solid red light instead of a red arrow. It would be less confusing and it would keep it all consistent.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a story in the paper that this new signal is a Federal requirement, and is supposed to be introduced nationally over time.....

In Indiana, they used to put a sign that says "Delayed Signal" next to a turn signal that did not change when the other side went to green.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say grammar school is in order.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, its a waste. If you don't understand turn when cars AREN'T COMING, then you should have one of those Mel Farr shutoff switches in your car.

Again, I propose retesting people every time they need their license renewed.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 828
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14764039/detail.html

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 655
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I think it's a bad idea and that the transition will lead to some serious accidents. I do do agree with Mallory that Florida's turning lane lights are horrendous. Combining elderly drivers and confusing traffic lights is not a good idea.

Pennst8
Username: Pennst8

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area and yeah I'd have to agree with the information mentioned above (all Florida traffic lights suck IMO).

I really don't see what's so complicated about the flashing yellow turn signal. I mean it's kind of obvious what it means even without a thorough rant on how they work.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9981
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roundabouts are great if properly built. They do not impede traffic like a traffic light does and it keeps vehicles moving at all times. what is so difficult? Get in the lane you need to go into and move when you need to go down the necessary road. I wish N. America would implement more of these. Not to mention get rid of the 90 degree corners as well. Most roads should curve towards an intersection not attach at 90 degree angles.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would say grammar school is in order.

I be seein these lights, and when I see 'em, I be runnin' dem shits.

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ebonics aside, it's the black lights that scare me. You know, the ones that should be red, yellow, or green, but aren't, because the city didn't fix them.

Burned out in Ottawa.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2088
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice. Only in Michigan does flashing yellow mean that you DON'T have the right of way.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 983
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just like "Make a Complete Left Turn When Traffic Clears!" on a Divided Street. The only difference is all the streets won't be divided and the light will be blinking yellow.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was ever wrong with this normal way of solving this problem (as is done in most other states): http://www.flickr.com/photos/r awmustard/347134739/

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice. Only in Michigan does flashing yellow mean that you DON'T have the right of way.

The flip side is that people disregard the flashing red lights intersections with lagging lefts (e.g., the green arrow comes at the end of the cycle).

A flashing red indicates a person must come to a complete stop. They may proceed making their left turn when the intersection is clear.

Most of the time people treat the flashing red as if it were a flashing yellow (yield--proceed with caution) rather than a stop indicator.

The new style signals do away with the flashing red. You get a flashing yellow when you are expected to yield to oncoming traffic.

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A flashing red indicates a person must come to a complete stop. They may proceed making their left turn when the intersection is clear."

I remember reading in the Freep or the Snews that you don't have to come to a complete stop at these intersections before turning.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 351
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when a cop pulled over someone I know and told them you need to come to a complete stop at flashing red left intersections before turning.

Flashing red is technically a stop sign.

And to answer the question in the thread title: No. The new lights don't confuse me. Cars that are turning or changing lanes always have to yield to cars that are maintaining their direction.

(Message edited by chris_rohn on December 04, 2007)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3791
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Flashing yellow does not indicate "right of way" (that's what green does). Flashing yellow indicates "proceed with caution".

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Flashing yellow does not indicate "right of way" (that's what green does). Flashing yellow indicates "proceed with caution"."

If you drove up to an intersection that had flashing yellow in your direction and flashing red for the cross traffic, wouldn't that mean that you had the right of way?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3998
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily. What if you have a flashing yellow, but you're turning left? Now you don't have the right of way.

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the new Flashing Yellow < going up around town. Most of them are poping up at most major intersections. Just treat the new Flashing Yellow < as a Flashing Red.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11067
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 5:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of these discussions about how 'easy new things are' has no understanding of how close to utter breakdown some people are because of their lack of perception and conceptual speed.

If only ONE person becomes confused by a 'new' sign designed to increase or maintain flow...they've killed the flow.

No matter how easy it is for the rest of us, we've NOW acquiesced to the lowest common denominator and made ourselves slaves to them.

I know, I've been stuck behind a few of 'em even at Camus Martius!

I don't care about the numbers, since roundabouts cause so many people confusion...hell, we should take our hint from the multiple merge violations on our highways alone!

Some people cannot perceive and process differences in velocity between vehicles to merge, let alone change lanes...so why put intersections EVERYWHERE that force them to do what they cannot?

Would they be better off for everyone, IF there was a decent mass-transit system?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.