Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Detroit Welcome Wagon « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will serve as my little vent session. My girlfriend moved here in August from Long Island, NY and every time we are and out and she meets some of my friends or random people where ever we are people feel the need to make sure she knows all things bad about Detroit.

They say: Why did you move here it sucks, are you working now
She says: no I am looking for a job now
They say: there are no jobs in michigan and they don't pay anything, you probably won't find anything

They say: So how do you like Detroit
She say: It's cool, I'm adjusting to city life
They say: be careful you can't trust anyone here etc...

They say: (before they know she has a man) it's so hard to find anyone good to date here
She says: we'll i dont have that problem, i have a man
they say: well you know we have the highest STD rate

The list goes on and on and on and it's very annoying. First you have to deal with the people back home who have never been to Detroit saying shit about us because of what "they heard" and then you move here only to deal with people from the welcome team.

I'm not implying at all that the things above don't have any merit etc... but damn do people feel they have to inform people of all the bad things going on around here?

I swear every time my girl goes out and comes back, be it grocery store, mall,club, where ever... she's like so and so said this and that... and we wonder why we have such a black eye all the time. People make it a point to keep the bad stuff on the forefront.

I am done venting now and excuse any spelling/grammatical errors :-D

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 818
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know exactly what you mean...sorta. My gf called her father back in suburban Philadelphia, and the first thing he said was "so, Detroit is the most dangerous city..."

After she spoke of the good things we have to offer, and the reasons why she likes it here (east coast girl from dc, then philly but loves the uniqueness of Detroit), he decided to hold his opinions until he saw things in person.

So he shows up for a business trip and between the airport and showing up at dinner, people had already let the out of towner know of how much of a dump this place is.

It is one thing to have opinions, and even facts. But the greatest thing about people in a city with our culture, class, and history SHOULD be civic pride, or at least striving to attain something that resembles it.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree. This is the very reason why, on another thread, I said not to listen to people's opinions from Metro Detroit (if your from out of town), because most of us are dumb. Oh yeah, let's tell everyone how shitty we are, go on shopping sprees in other cities but not our own, talk ignorance about our city but don't set foot in the city limits, shop only at malls and Costco, drive a Japanese or South Korean car, criticize anyone who tries to make a difference, encourage our children to move to a different city, tell people moving here from out of town to rent not buy, then wonder why our property values are going down.
...I guess this includes me because I'm pointing out how dumb we are, but seriously.
Luckily most of the downtown dwellers aren't like this.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention... at Thanksgiving dinner her uncle has not been here in 20 years says in front of the whole family says, so did you have a lot of buildings burn up this halloween? I'm like WTF, then he said you know for that one night of the year all yall Detroit go burning up shit.

Then the whole family turns to me and says what is he talking about. I told them back in the 80's we had a huge arson problem and prank problem etc...And they all kind had a perplexed look on their face, I looked at him like STFU dude.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember when the super bowl was here, there were so many positive remarks made by outsiders and out of towners about the city in media prints and blogs, but the ones made by freep and detnews blogs (which are usually negative anyways) were very negative of the city.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion I could write a book of all the negative $hit people try to tell my wife about the D when they find out she's from Queens. When she used to come to visit before we got married it went like this ...

Them: So how do you like Detroit?
Her: I really like it here, it has much to offer
Them: Well ... you like it because of Will, just give it time you'll hate it, everybody hates it here.

Eventually they go on a Detroit hating spree, trying to tell her about every negative thing that ever happened to anyone in the city. That's followed by the economic depression that the city is going through. Eventually she responds ..."It's pretty much like any other city, it's just on hard times right now."

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4093
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of debbie downers in metro Detroit.

This region is toxic sometimes.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't say something nice about Detroit because that automatically diminishes the evils in Detroit. You must only speak of the evil and horror in Detroit. How is Detroit ever supposed to overcome crime, job loss, high taxes, poor city services, etc, etc, if you don't constantly harp on it every single second of the day. That's how you build great cities, by tearing down the city itself and the people that live in the city. You haven't heard?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ somehow, I feel that's how many people feel. I think people want to bash Detroit before you get a chance to do it. Kinda like the comedian who makes fun of himself before the crowd can even think about it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3108
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to Detroit, girlfriend of Viziondetroit.

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO, if you're living your life how and where it makes sense to you, who really cares what others say?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not that I care about it, it's more of sharing my feelings on the topic.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly where does everyone from Detroit reside on this thread? In the new condos or apartments in downtown Detroit?

The beautiful neighborhood I grew up in years ago is a shambles. The neighborhood is unrecognizable. My friends homes are gone, boarded up or burned out. Alleys blocked with junk cars or garbage.

I think Detroit City government is cleaning up downtown, the surrounding areas, but they are certainly neglecting the neighborhoods from my perspective. I can't figure out how the city survives with the little taxable income they get.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mainly though it drives Detroit, and in many cases drove Detroiters right out of Detroit.

Lo_to_d
Username: Lo_to_d

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. We can't continue to blame everything on our government.

BTW - Midtown - aka - "shambles 10 years ago".

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VizionDetroit: I came from Long Island, New York too (6 years ago). I had been working in NYC for 15 years before moving to Detroit.

Initially, my new Detroit friends would give me that puzzled look and comment "Why would you move from New York City to Detroit?" They made it sound as if I had moved from a paradise to a hell. Perhaps they thought I was in some sort of witness protection program.

But really, there's good and bad in every place.

I've found that for the most part, as a New Yorker in Detroit, if I wanted something, I may have to drive to get it (or just buy it off the internet which is really the easiest - esp. during the holidays!) but it's still available to me. And some things about New York is just plain tiring. For Example, the overly crowded sidewalks filled with clueless tourists while shuffling and dodging around masses of people. I will never need to deal with that in Detroit. Also, the costs: I'm in an affordable mortgage here, while in NYC despite a pay increase, I could only rent.

Some of the places that really sold me, as a New Yorker... Detroit Eastern Market; John King Books; Lafayette Coney; Mexicantown; and the ever-expanding RiverWalk.

I think some folks like to over indulge in downing Detroit because they feel it gives them a kind of "100 Yard Stare" - "Been Through It All Man!" - "My Urban Grunge Experience Makes Seem Cooler Than Thou" - but looking past that, you make the best with what you have...

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican said: "Exactly where does everyone from Detroit reside on this thread?"

Truth be told, I truly think 90% of the people that post on this board don't even live in Michigan, let alone Detroit.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<--- in DA HOOD 7 Mile & Dequindre

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 989
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Truth be told, I truly think 90% of the people that post on this board don't even live in Michigan, let alone Detroit."

Excluding me, in NE Detroit.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 990
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mainly though it drives Detroit, and in many cases drove Detroiters right out of Detroit."

Good one Rfban.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mainly though it drives Detroit, and in many cases drove Detroiters right out of Detroit."

Rfban, please explain that sentence to me.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion: "at Thanksgiving dinner her uncle...so did you have a lot of buildings burn up this halloween?"

During the 80's I lived in the Cass Corridor where many of the arsons took place. The fire department discovered it was numerous slumlords torching their properties to collect insurance money.

The southern area of the Wayne Campus that I lived in at the time is much improved with the recent gentrification.

Another insurance scam is people dumping their cars in the city limits. Report them stolen to collect insurance money too.

As I always say when folks bash Detroit it is like kicking a beautiful old woman. They can't see the architectural history and beautiful housing stock. When our friends visit from Europe they are always amazed at our beautiful inner city home and the price we paid for it.

Bigdada
Username: Bigdada

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reminds me of a guy I met who told that about all of the problems and hassles he had when traveling. Everywhere he'd been around the US he was lied to ripped off and harassed in some way or another. Funny that my experience was pretty much the opposite--everywhere I travel I usually meet fun interesting people who may even end up showing me the local sights and taking me to a cool club or party. I think it's partially the kind or attitude or energy you put out there...

My point is that I'm from Detroit, born and raised and I always try to put a positive spin on the city because...It's true! Detroit is a fun, beautiful fascinating place to live, work and visit. I rarely ever even hear people bitching and moaning and complaining about it (except on DetroitYES!) and if I do I might try to talk to them and try to persuade them otherwise if I think they're cool and maybe just riding on a bummer. Most of the time, I just reckon that they are just another ignorant loud-mouth jerk (possibly, but not necessarily, a suburbanite) the kind of person to whom a response is not really necessary, because it's not Detroit that's miserable--they are. So my advice is that you run into people standing around talking trash about Detroit, just look at them askance and keep on stepping...They might even be dangerous...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We as a region hate ourselves.

We hate our neighbors (I'm not just talking city/suburb, but suburb/suburb), we seem to always look for the bad things, and things never seem to work out when talking to people.

All of that negative energy had to come home to roost at some point...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4099
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is there a superfluous comma in the phrase "what you drive drives America?"

And what does that have to do with the attitudes of people in this area?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Nothing

Buyamerican

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And what does that have to do with the attitudes of people in this area?"

Obviously, the "people in the area" don't care what they drive, that's why the "area" is in the shape it's in today.

WHAT YOU DRIVE DRIVES AMERICA!

How condescending some of you can be. I am amazed that those words would merit a disdainful remark. You don't like it, that is your prerogative.

Are all of my commas in the right places? Happy now?

Buyamerican

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And how is life in Chesterfield Township? That new mall sure looks...ugh...fun.

You seem to have a problem with the truth about an area of Detroit. Take a drive down Kercheval between St. Jean and Harding, Vernor, Lemay, Fairview, see what I mean.

At least there's "life" going on as usual in Northern suburbs. Are you seriously making a comparison between junk, shambles, burned, boarded up, (I forgot to mention water main breaks on every other street) and a viable, prosperous area where people can live and shop? Sounds like a bit of envy here.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How condescending some of you can be.

And then:

quote:

At least there's "life" going on as usual in Northern suburbs. Are you seriously making a comparison between junk, shambles, burned, boarded up, (I forgot to mention water main breaks on every other street) and a viable, prosperous area where people can live and shop? Sounds like a bit of envy here.

Nothing like a visit to this board to remind me daily of why I left Michigan.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live in a viable, prosperous, area where people live and shop....in detroit :-)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i live in a viable, prosperous, area where people live and shop....in detroit

Please stop lying. Detroit is a hell hole, everything is burnt out and you'll get shot within 30 seconds of walking through any neighborhood. Everybody knows that!

Buyamerican

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i live in a viable, prosperous, area where people live and shop....in detroit "

That's great! However, in the area I'm speaking of, it is not viable nor prosperous, nor inhabitable. The City fathers are devoting their entire attention to downtown and it's immediate surroundings...forgetting that there are other people living in Detroit who need services, police protection, fire protection, clean-up.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"So you admit you quit on the same neighborhoods that you wax nostalgic about. Typical. People like you have abandoned neighborhoods in Detroit and Highland Park for 50 years and then wonder why those neighborhoods disintegrate.

Meanwhile you expect the rest of us to swear a blood oath to multi-national corporations that outsource jobs to third world nations and resist even the most basic safety and environmental regulations (like $#%&ing seat belts) for their products.

You are a quitter and a hypocrite."

Tell me, why DO neighborhoods disintegrate? Who are the "typical people who abandoned Detroit neighborhoods"?

It's certainly not because people move from one house to another. I stated facts about the old Detroit neighborhood where I grew up. If you can't accept those facts that are not hard to prove (just go there and see for yourself), then you have a major problem. YOU are "typical" of those who refuse to accept the fact that it isn't just some "typical" (and I'd certainly like to know what that means) ex-Detroiters who are responsible for the state the City is in today, you are. The home where I grew up was sold in better shape than it was when it was purchased. The home I raised my children in was in better shape when I sold it than when I bought it. Major improvements were made in both homes during the years lived in by us. Why are they in shambles now? Why are the other homes in the neighborhoods in such a state of disrepair that they should just be torn down? I know that when my family left those two homes, they were clean, painted, carpeted, updated, and certainly comfortable and liveable. The streets were clean, (and I mean swept clean by residents who took great pride in their home).

Over 50 years there was no reason to allow homes to become unliveable in Detroit. Older suburbs around Detroit are 40 to 50 years old and the homes and neighborhoods don't look like Detroit.

You say people like me have abandoned Detroit, I say people like you have abandoned America. You should be ashamed of yourself to even question what I add at the end of my posts. I don't have to resort to name calling, that's your only defense when you are backed against a wall and have no logical answers. I can say with a degree of certainty that you are a sell out, in more ways than one.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You say people like me have abandoned Detroit, I say people like you have abandoned America. You should be ashamed of yourself to even question what I add at the end of my posts."

I could have swore Detroit was still apart of America...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10928
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's great! However, in the area I'm speaking of, it is not viable nor prosperous, nor inhabitable. The City fathers are devoting their entire attention to downtown and it's immediate surroundings...forgetting that there are other people living in Detroit who need services, police protection, fire protection, clean-up.

Somebody is guilty of selective reading. I take it you have heard nothing of the current neighborhood improvments going on.

What makes me laugh is that you preach to everyone that driving foreign is ruining the area but you don't care to contribute to improving Detroit. Why, as a Detroiter should I be vested in a company based in Dearborn or Auburn hills that have moved thousands and thousands of jobs out of the city?

You can support your dying unions all you want but you are a complete hyoprite to mock Detroit's failures then whine that we 'owe' something to the American automakers.

The situations are similar but you approve a turning your back on the city so any 'Buy American' propaganda that comes from you falls on deaf ears.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, like when Detroit get its act together and people will start recognizing Detroit, once America get its act together, I will be glad to do my duties as a citizen. Until then, you can forget it. We're headed into a Global Economy and no one can stop that.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 07, 2007)

Buyamerican

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can support your dying unions all you want but you are a complete hyoprite to mock Detroit's failures then whine that we 'owe' something to the American automakers"

A letter to the editor in the Freep the other day says it all.

"For the record: If you only work a 40-hour week, thank the unions. If you have benefits such as paid vacations, health care, etc., thank the unions. If you work in a safe environment, thank the unions, because they were responsible for leading these fights."

If it weren't for the Big 3, Detroit wouldn't have survived this long.

Detroitrise has the classic attitude that has made Detroit what it's become today...."like when Detroit get its act together and people will start recognizing Detroit, once America get its act together, I will be glad to do my duties as a citizen."

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10931
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That doesn't address your hypocrisy and your selective reading.

quote:

"For the record: If you only work a 40-hour week, thank the unions. If you have benefits such as paid vacations, health care, etc., thank the unions. If you work in a safe environment, thank the unions, because they were responsible for leading these fights."

Actually I thank my education and my hard work for my benefits, vacations, etc. That quote really only applies to certain industries and certain workers. I does not apply to what I have earned since the unions have done nothing for me.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for you.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to get some perspective. You're saying that because whites left great neighborhoods that's why they became what they are today? You're saying that the people (whether white, black, yellow or brown) who purchased the homes couldn't maintain the home the same way the whites did before them? So let me get this straight...it's the white peoples fault? The whites who moved on for whatever reason left their homes in shambles? Give me a break! You really need to get a grip and get that chip off your shoulder.

It's good that Detroiters are getting government and corporate support. Gee, I wonder if the Big 3 are involved in that? Oh, right, GM logo is still on the RenCen last time I looked; oh, and Chrysler has a couple of big factories in Detroit. Consider yourself lucky, the whites that made the neighborhoods "great" didn't get any supplements to keep a neighborhood clean, they did it themselves.

You said exactly what I figured you'd say. That infamous "card" always comes to the surface when there are no other answers to Detroits problems.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit's population:

1950: 1,849,568
1960: 1,670,144
1970: 1,513,601
1980: 1,203,339
1990: 1,027,974
2000: 951,270

Ah, the great population truth. Let's look at Detroit's population growth over the 5 decades after 1950:

1950-1960: -179,424
1960-1970: -156,543
1970-1980: -310,262
1980-1990: -175,365
1990-2000: -76,704

The 1990s showed the smallest drop of population in Detroit for any decade since the 1940s. I guess we can rule out the riots, Coleman Young, crime, and the local economy as to what sent Detroit's population numbers into a freefall. All were pretty much non-issues in the 1950s.

So I'm ready to have an honest discussion whenever the rest of you are.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 4074
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Actually I thank my education and my hard work for my benefits, vacations, etc. That quote really only applies to certain industries and certain workers. I does not apply to what I have earned since the unions have done nothing for me."

Not 100% true. If not for the labor movements of the late 1800s and early 1900s, it is uncertain anybody would have benefits or decent wages. Today it may not take a union to receive those, but the impact of those intense, sometimes violent labor disputes against the robber barons of the time can't be completely discounted when discussing labor of today.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.