Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Lights on in Detroit Life Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps the rehab is beginning.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is the detroit life building? what other buildings is it next to? got a pic? thanks! - Andy

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Building is a currently unused high-rise located in downtown Detroit, Michigan at 2210 Park Avenue, in the Park Avenue Historic District, in the Foxtown neighbourhood.The building was constructed in 1923, and stands at 10 floors in height. It was designed in the Beaux-Arts architectural style.The building is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw some temporary construction lighting on probably 3 or 4 months ago.

I only saw it once, but man it made an impression on me. I can't wait till that project really gets moving!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a llanm/313675800/

Just a Beautiful Building!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful building, a real gem.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You go Olympia Development!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3150
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope this goes well, Park is on a roll, I hope it continues

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You go Olympia Development!"

Yes, you go Ilitch... nearly 20 years after acquiring the property.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 392
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if you just walk around the areas you will see that Olympia has done more than its share of development in the last 20 years. Think of what the area looked like before they were there. There have of course been some disappointing decisions but overall no one has come even close to making this an attractive area for the downtown as they have. It has also turned out to be a very wise business decision making them millions.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2930
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for those unfamiliar w/ the building/project

http://www.detroitlifebuilding .com/

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3829
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree -- i get so tired of the illitch bashers on this site sometimes. they could have stayed up in oakland county, moved the tigers to brighton, whatever. they chose to take a chance on the D. virtually every good thing that has happened down there has been done because the illitch experiment was successful

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and i get so tired of people defending him with the "all or nothing" strategy. look, he's done some really great things for the city and he's done some really awful things for the city. why does any discussion about the man have to turn into a pissing match defending only one of those aspects?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3157
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He moved his Company to Detroit, from Farmington Hills, when absolutely no one was doing that. Most thought he was nuts.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ I definitely agree with you Rsa. I think its more important to analyze the Ilitch family's accomplishments with a critical and honest eye rather than taking a one sided view whenever he demolishes a historic building or decides to renovate a new one.

Good points: Created Foxtown district, improved general area, created a business presence downtown. Moving forward with a couple renovations (hopefully)

Bad points: Demolished numerous historical structures, some of which were integral parts of Detroit history. Many (if not all) get replaced with parking which is in many occasions worse than leaving abandoned structures there since an area with all surface lots feels placeless. Some vacant buildings are seriously neglected. Fine Arts is at the point of collapse. Technically, the guts should be demolished now or else the facade could collapse. The United Artists is barely recognizable on the inside from so much neglect.

I'm in full support for what positive actions he takes to improve the city, but why should anyone ignore the destruction of buildings that had so much potential?

Just as people on this board are upset with Ilitch bashers, that doesn't mean being a cheerleader is any better.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 431
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this building looks like a minature MCS. Agree? Dissagree? its still a cool building and it doesnt matter who is rehabing it. Its AWSOME that its being saved nonetheless!

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building has been in the process of rehab for over a year, but management issues have held up the schedule significantly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.