Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Guardian Building or 1001 Woodward? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 1203/SUB/712030328/1070/-/-/se cond-try-for-guardian-vote

County to vote again on Thursday 12/06/07.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I'd love to see 1001 occupied, I still think this is a bad deal.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2928
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“What if rent gets jacked up by $100 per month when Quicken is taking all the spaces in town? That would cost us a lot of money.”

Oh brother...Ficano really wants the Guardian for some reason...

I hope the end up moving into 1001 Woodward...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 762
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. The Guardian is doing alright as it is.... Occupancy has risen from 2% to 55% in just a couple of years. Fill up 1001 Woodward and that area of downtown will really be humming.... CMP completed, One Kennedy Sq. 100% leased, Compuware and its nearly 100% retail leased, the first national building adding tenants, and the Guardian continuing to march forward.... A vibrant little city within the city...

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CMP is not complete until we see a high-rise condo tower on the Monroe Block.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 763
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, that is the missing component. But, this would nearly fill up everything around the area - perhaps creating a demand for something on Monroe Block

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1001 Woodward

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guardian

think how nice the Guardian lobby will look with an xray machine

Gnome

Post Number: 422
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Bob could just give out his patented xray specs. I hear they're a blast at parties.

He sells them on-line, found this at ficanoSeesAll.com

bob

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5852
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only that Gnome... think of how wonderful the county is at maintaining buildings! :-(

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit: Do you really believe the Guardian Bldg. "is doing alright as it is" just because the occupancy has risen over 2 years to 55%?

It's a big loser and the chance that occupancy will increase from this point forward is nil. Why do you think the owner is desperately attempting to dump it on the County? Owners can't operate buildings at 55% occupancy.

As a WC taxpayer, I hope the Commission does the right thing and buys 1001.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3128
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I question the County's ability to maintain the Guardian - do they have the money, will they spend the money, will the bldg eventually look like crap

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote is for 1001. They will only screw up the Guardian.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3131
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, most government bldgs look like crap after awhile

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 764
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld,

From the discussions I have had, it appears that the building is reaching the point at which it can sustain itself. Money was spent on infrastructure and other improvements which have made the building more marketable. I would think that the reason the owners are interested in selling to the council is because they can turn a profit on it. I believe they only paid 5 million for the building just a couple years ago, and can now flip it for 15. Also, isnt it true that the company purchased Chase Tower? Clearly the group feels as though they can be profitable in Detroit.

I am sure that the county would find some way to destroy the Guardian, and should do the smart thing financially and work out a deal with 1001.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, the boss in these type of deals usually gets his way. If he's only one vote short I'm sure there will be some combination of favours and/or arm twisting and the vote will go through.
It also seems like 18 months to re-hab 1001 Woodward may be too long to wait. Why is the County waiting until their leases are almost up to make a decision?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing is, that Ficano is concerned about needing to lease some parking spaces in the adjacent deck if the 1001 project goes through. he has been pushing for the Guardian. Where will they park if they buy the Guardian instead? Seems as though that would be yet another issue to not have to worry about if they went with 1001 instead.

P.S. Sounds like it was a good thing that the City-County building was renamed a few years ago. County's moving on out.

Gnome

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gistok-
yeah, remember those plastic jungle gym toys on the lawn of the County building?

tasteful

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 439
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still advocate the county looking into buying the MCS from Manny with hopes of consolidating county offices around Roosevelt Park and in a renovated MCS. This area could host the new police station ect….And a new jail complex.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit: Because the Guardian is privately owned by very private people no outsider - you and I et al - have access to the financials. We operate on rumor and apply our own experiences to an analysis of what's going on financially. I've heard they paid less than $5 million for the building. Sterling Group has very little of its own money in the deal. It's foreign money according to rumor (by people I trust, for whatever that's worth.)

The owner spent several million on upgrades and did a really great job. However, it made significant rent concessions - that I know for a fact - to induce folks from other downtown buildings to move over there. Their operating expenses are very high - heat being an operating expense killer. It's extremely expense to heat the atrium level, costs that can't be passed on to the first floor tenants who benefit most from the atrium ambience. And heating 45% of the building where there are no tenants is the real killer. Based on relatively low rents, extraordinarily high operating costs, and the low prospects of getting more tenants, I still believe the building is a big loser. But, we'll probably never know for sure unless we have access to the books.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 3rdworld. Of course, my conversations were with management who would spin it in their favor anyway. However, I think that there is not doubt that the prospects have certainly improved. Regarding rent, they were still more expensive than a few of the surrounding buildings - at least for what I was discussing. Their group did buy Chase tower though, correct? They also own the Fort Washington Plaza which is 80% leased.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.