Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » AA councilman pushes for chicken rights law « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone has way too much time on thier hands

Ann Arbor councilman pushes for chicken rights law
December 2, 2007

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Chickens are no clucking matter to one city council member in Ann Arbor. Stephen Kunselman says people who want fresh eggs should be able to keep their own hens around the house, or yard.

The Democratic lawmaker brought up the proposal at a weekend council retreat. Kunselman said a number of business people and residents support the idea and said he plans to bring a resolution before the council.

Many communities allow chickens but not roosters, which can make a lot of noise at dawn, Kunselman said. He said regulations typically require a 25-foot setback
from other homes to avoid disturbing neighbors.

The issue came up earlier this year in nearby Ypsilanti, where Peter Thompson is challenging a city ordinance banning farm animals. He has 12 chickens, “and I’m picking up two pregnant goats,” Thomason told The Ann Arbor News.

The chicken talk enlivened Saturday’s Ann Arbor council retreat, which dealt mainly with construction and tax issues in the hometown of the University of Michigan.

“What’s with the chickens?” Democratic Councilman Stephen Rapundalo asked Kunselman.

“Chickens lay eggs,” Kunselman replied. “I want fresh eggs. It’s just a simple ordinance change.”

“I want to have fresh milk,” Rapundalo said. “Let’s change the ordinance to allow cows or goats.”

“You can live in New York City and have chickens,” Kunselman responded. “It’s not a matter of how urban you are. It’s a matter of political will.”

Later in the meeting, the council was ranking infrastructure concerns when Kunselman mentioned skate parks.

“Either chickens or skate parks,” Rapundalo said.

“Chickens on skateboards,” Kunselman replied, to a roar of laughter.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071202/NEW S06/71202021

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing quite like a fresh egg. We owned laying hens for many years when we lived in the country, and I look forward to raising chickens again some day.

Wrong about the roosters, though. The do not crow at dawn. They crow all day, and they can be aggressive.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2284
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moderator, please move to non-issues as Ann Arbor is not in metro Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.