Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Was the Christmas tree stand invented in Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 359
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but one version was! Dionis E. Moldowan, a Romanian citizen living in Detroit, applied for and received a patent for his Christmas tree stand in 1940. Moldowan appears to have been an ardent inventor with several patents ranging from sod cutters to oil cultivation processes to Christmas tree stands. The patent number for the Christmas tree stand is D123889. If you go to the United States Patent Office site, you can view the patent.

Sometimes getting down the Christmas decorations can be fun and educational! :-)

Ookpik

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2339
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Ook. I had a ceiling fixture in my house in Rosedale Park that looked just like that.

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually it wouldn't be far off to have a ceiling fixture to look like that Ray.....

"Legend has it that he used the triangular shape of the Fir Tree to describe the Holy Trinity of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The converted people began to revere the Fir tree as God's Tree, as they had previously revered the Oak. By the 12th century it was being hung, upside-down, from ceilings at Christmastime in Central Europe, as a symbol of Christianity."

http://www.christmasarchives.c om/trees.html

Just something read as it was popular in Central European countries (Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Romania, etc) When it stopped being popular, especially in America, I have no idea. Note the bolt holes along the outer rim of the stand. Quite possibly used for ceiling mounting

I am Czech was looking into Czech related holiday customs and ran across this. I thought it would interesting to share.

(Message edited by usnsubvet77 on December 03, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3949
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the timely history lesson, Ook!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 567
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to know.......

<313>

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.