Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hooray for eastpointe( east detroit) « Previous Next »
Archive through November 30, 2007Jjaba30 11-30-07  6:12 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 918
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.citytowninfo.com/pl aces/michigan/eastpointe

http://www.citytowninfo.com/pl aces/michigan/ferndale

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise: I understand your point. Statistically, the median FAMILY income in Eastpointe is about $3000 more than that of Ferndale. BUT, there are 10% more singles in Ferndale than in Eastpointe. That means more people in Ferndale than in Eastpointe are making that amount alone. Just food for thought...

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Eastpointe has a real downtown. The closest thing would be the strip mall at Gratiot/9 Mile.

That general area is sort of a pseudo-downtown, but it is not at all walkable or comparable to Ferndale.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3113
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But they "found" $5million for a splashy "new" city hall.

That's bound to bring in new businesses...

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Video: http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14734749/detail.html

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2767
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get the impression that the reporter might have thought the cops over reacted...........as for the shit brained idiot that was "concerned" het the polce over reacted......open the fucking door and pay for the food moron.......

I would much rather live where the cops are gonna react like this then somewhere with a " downtown"..... hooray for the eastpointe cops.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is everyone calling them East Detroit. There is no city called East Detroit. They have been called Eastpointe for 15 years now. Lets call them Halfway or Erin Township too.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 933
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Well aren't you cranky tonight?

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 201
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The day Eastpointe changes its name back, is the day we have sustainability and pride within our region.

-RB

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with RB. Change it back to Halfway and change 9 Mile Road back to Halfway Avenue.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Eastpointe" - lets think about that name. They wanted to disassociate with Detroit because its so bad. Thats crappy. Then - they want to associate with the Grosse Pointes, because they are so wonderful. Thats crappy. They were called "east" Detroit, well, because they are geographically on the eastern end of the City. Now they are "East" Pointe. They are not only NOT a "pointe", but they are also geographically WEST of the Pointes.

Again, try not to drink the water in that city. Something over there is seriously affecting IQ levels in the residents and city folks.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3114
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was about 20 years ago, Mauser.

Rfban

Post Number: 204
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I think it was only about a decade ago or so, maybe early 90's.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3116
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, about 20 years ago.

My how time flies.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 938
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever. The fact is that Eastpointe changed their name from East Detroit.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 166
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 939
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that's 15 year Mcp.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3117
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your "no-prize" in the the mail, Detroitrise.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lot of ties for me in eastpointe. I did K-12 in East Detroit schools. My grandma and my mother both graduated from east detroit high. I agree it is better than south warren and roseville. But worse than st claire shores, north warren, and the pointes. And yes there is white flight there now. Most of my family from eastpointe and most of my friends from high school their parents have moved away to the motherland (hall rd. corridor).

I moved west to the O.C. My father was one of the people who voted to change the name of the city, when they did it the value of his house immediately went up. Cops are very aggressive and never allow a house party without breaking it up with a quickness. They have had problems with racist cops aswell they were investigated by FBI a few times. Last time i remember was over a case of harassing a (black) boy who was riding his bicycle through eastpointe. They took his bike from him and told him to go home (north 10mile, east gratiot). My senior year we had a huge race riot in school that was breifly on the news, our HS was on lockdown for a month.(only my senior 1997 year did we finally start to see more african american families moving to eastpointe).

Rfban

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point in time, what I want to know is how do the citizens feel about the name change? Does the younger generation like or dislike the change? And, did the city change it because of insurance purposes?

Steelworker

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lot of ties for me in eastpointe. I did K-12 in East Detroit schools. My grandma and my mother both graduated from east detroit high. I agree it is better than south warren and roseville. But worse than st claire shores, north warren, and the pointes. And yes there is white flight there now. Most of my family from eastpointe and most of my friends from high school their parents have moved away to the motherland (hall rd. corridor).

I moved west to the O.C. My father was one of the people who voted to change the name of the city, when they did it the value of his house immediately went up. Cops are very aggressive and never allow a house party without breaking it up with a quickness. They have had problems with racist cops aswell they were investigated by FBI a few times. Last time i remember was over a case of harassing a (black) boy who was riding his bicycle through eastpointe. They took his bike from him and told him to go home (north 10mile, east gratiot). My senior year we had a huge race riot in school that was breifly on the news, our HS was on lockdown for a month.(only my senior 1997 year did we finally start to see more african american families moving to eastpointe).

Mcp001

Post Number: 3118
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the ones I've spoken to:

The older ones still refer to it as East Detroit.

The newer ones will refer to it as Eastpointe.

And from what I was told, the city didn't change it, a resident did. He put the thing on the ballot three times. It was approved on the third-go around.

The rationale wasn't as much as "insurance" reasons, as to being "confused" in any way with Detroit.

Rfban

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does a name make property values go up? Seems superficial to me—I guess it is what it is. Did those values temporarily go up or have they stayed consistent?

Dorothyd
Username: Dorothyd

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Twenty years ago when we moved to East Detroit, we had trouble convincing my husband's employer (State of Michigan) to stop taking out the 3% Detroit income tax and drop it to 1.5%. They insisted we were still in Detroit. We even had mail eventually make it to us with "East" crossed out and the zip code changed to 48201 instead of 48021. I didn't (and still don't) care for the name change, but experienced first hand the confusion, especially when television news reporters would end a story they were covering on the east side of Detroit by saying, "From east Detroit . . ."

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3297
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should have changed the name to Eastwood, after the old amusement park at 8 Mile and Gratiot. That name would make more sense.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 303
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like the name East Detroit. The city is NORTH of Detroit, and in a different county. Now, Harper Woods-Eastpointe could make sense for that.
Likewise, the Grosse Pointes are in a different county as well.
Guess Warren Heights wasn't fancy enough.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new name for East Detroit is a nice example of what happens when extremists hit the polls and others think its too laughable to show up.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6848
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastpointe today still remains a bedroom sized community with cookie cutter brick ranches and wood frame homes everywhere. During the past 10 years Eastpointe gained 5% blacks. Most of them started to occupy the homes north of E. 8 Mile Rd. from Gratiot to Beaconsfield St.

Take a look of the factual data from East Detroit Public Schools. The purple color represents white student population while the blue color represents the black student population:

Bellview Elementary

12% black

77% white

Cresentwood Elemantary

23% black

70% white

East Detroit High School

27% black

67% white

Forest Park Elementary

11% black

82% white

Katner Elementary

30% black

65% white

Kellwood Althernatine High School

22%black

68% white

Kelly Middle School

34% black

62% white

Oakwood Elementary

19% black

73% white

Pleasantview Elementary

42% black

52% white

Roosevelt Elementary

7% black

87% white

Warrendale Elementary

12% black

73% white

Black folks who occupy the Eastpointe neighborhoods north of E. 8 Mile Rd. from Gratiot to Beaconsfield St tend to sent their students to Pleasantview and Katner Elementary more the any other Eastpointe schools because those elementary schools show little signs of black occupants further north of E. 9 Mile Rd. East Detroit High gained a explosion of black students since their parents occupy the southern part of Eastpointe neighborhoods. The factual data also shows that more white student population has decreased in the last 10 years, more in other East Detroit Public Schools due to increase of black students. This proves my urban theory. Most White folks don't want to live in a community that has up to 10 to 20 black folks or any other ethnic folks per block. Some of them think that when black folks move next door to them, their property values will decrease. Oh Well! they might as well sell their cookie cutter home to a black family and move on. This is one the prime symptoms of White flight in the inner ring suburbs. White flight has begun in Eastpointe and more black folks are moving to those neighborhoods. My perjection is that by the year 2010 the black population in Eastpointe will increase to 15%. Pleasantview Elementary will be over 50% black by the year 2009 and Katner Elementary will be over 50% black by over by the year 2010. Kelly Middle School will be over 50% black by they year 2010 and East Detroit High School will have sudden black student population explosion up to 57% by the year 2010. By the year 2030 Eastpointe's black population will be over 60% and the rest of East Detroit Public Schools will have over 85% black.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Most White folks don't want to live in a community that has up to 10 to 20 black folks or any other ethnic folks per block."

Where did you get that data, Danny?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Where did you get that data, Danny?

Rectal extraction.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 968
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He pulled it out of his butt crack?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your post count not high enough, Detroitrise? That's the only reason I can think of for rewording the last post in the thread, adding a question mark, and posting it.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3127
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting hypothesis, Danny.

But dated/flawed.

I have it on good authority that Kantner Elementary is no longer used as a grade school.

Also, what do you think will happen to those moving back into the inner-ring suburbs with the state economy in the slump that it is currently in along with the sub-prime fiasco.

Those families (at least those staying in Michigan, anyway) are going to move where it is affordable and already established.

Eastpointe fits the bill.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont really care when they renamed the city, my only point was that they chose a stupid name for stupid reasons.

Fury13

Post Number: 3303
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So many names over the years... Erin Township, Halfway, East Detroit, Eastpointe... identity problem, maybe?

The housing stock in Eastpointe is pretty decent in most neighborhoods, though. There are many nice 1920s colonials and Tudors, as well as brick '40s-'50s Cape Cods and '50s ranches...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5849
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scooter2k7...

When someone on this thread said "I did k-12 in East Detroit"... they are referring to the School District name...

Eastpointe = City Name
East Detroit = School District name

Got it?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too expensive to change the district name.

BTW - East Detroit High has a kick ass football coach, look for some good stuff from those kids this year. Making the Grosse Pointe North kids nervous as all get out

Steelworker

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wen I went to EDHS. We sucked so bad at football. They even recruited an assistant coach from U of West Virgina, we were larger than most school but sucked. They debated changing the school district name but they decided not to because at the time they felt it was better for the alumni. Old school system and the HS is rather old and nice in the old building, the old auditorium is decent aswell. Not common any more to have a 3 story high school being built. Interesting they are closing schools there but they project a growing child population.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 470
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

BTW - East Detroit High has a kick ass football coach, look for some good stuff from those kids this year. Making the Grosse Pointe North kids nervous as all get out

Please tell me you were joking. Football season has been over for two weeks (more if you didn't make any playoffs) and East Detroit went 0-9.

Did you mean basketball?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops - my bad Dds. Yes BBall. And yes, I always pull for underdogs.

I do like EDetroits football coach tho. He barks like a drill sargent. Guess that didnt end up being terribly effective.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Villa restaurant and Ricks game room come to mind when I think of Eastpointe. Anyone remember hanging out at Ricks game room. I think its a pool hall now.

Fury13

Post Number: 3322
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember $1 movies at the old Eastwood Theatre. There are still a couple of nice little family-style restaurants along Gratiot that serve a good breakfast. Best of all, Eastpointe seems to have a decent sign ordinance. The visual pollution quotient goes way up when you cross over 10 Mile into Roseville.

Terryh

Post Number: 585
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Villa restaurant and Ricks game room come to mind when I think of Eastpointe. Anyone remember hanging out at Ricks game room. I think its a pool hall now.

Terryh

Post Number: 586
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where exactly was the Eastwood theatre and amusement park? Sorry about the double post.

Fury13

Post Number: 3326
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Eastwood Theatre became the Wired Frog teen hangout. The building is on Gratiot, west side, north of 8 Mile. The Eastwood Park amusement park was right on the northeast corner of 8 Mile and Gratiot. It closed in the '50s.
http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/amuse.asp?id=304&type=2

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6860
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastpointe High School name change would have been nice. Or what about Eastpointe Public Schools.

The word "east DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS" would make white folks in Eastpointe feel discourage.

Mcp001

Post Number: 3136
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I understood it, the name change was for the city only.

The school board had the option to change their name as well, but chose not to.

Rfban

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for the school board.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.