Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Get Ready « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 908
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First Major Snow and Ice Storm of the season it's headed in our direction for Saturday Night and Sunday Morning(bringing everything to SE Michigan but the kitchen sink). Although the light at the end of the tunnel would be a chilly rain, a Winter Storm Watch has been issued before hand for possibly several inches of snow, then a quarter of an inch or greater of ice accumulations. In addition, high winds will be expected.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a second opinion. Where's Urbanize? That person always knew what was what about the weather.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Urbanize was actually reincarnated as Detroitrise.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like fun...

Saturday Night: Periods of snow before 1am, then periods of freezing rain and sleet. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 26. East southeast wind between 8 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

http://forecast.weather.gov/Ma pClick.php?CityName=Detroit&st ate=MI&site=DTX&textField1=42. 3831&textField2=-83.1022

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope that the forecast can more accurately predict when the bad weather will hit Saturday evening so that it doesn't scare folks away from Noel Night and the many holiday events happening this weekend!

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has WDIV (Chuck) issued a "Cuddle Alert"? That's when you know awful weather is headed our way.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when you all see it. Detroit media has a tendency to sensationalize winter weather...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Has WDIV (Chuck) issued a 'Cuddle Alert'? That's when you know awful weather is headed our way."

He announced he will be issuing one for the following days after this storm system last night at 11 PM.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 910
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting enough, after we get into that warm sector Sunday, areas from Detroit-Livonia-Northville southward is in the 5% area for Severe Thunderstorms.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whats the accumulation totals?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit media has a tendency to sensationalize winter weather...

understatment of the year

accumulation totals i heard were 1-3 inches, hardly anything to get all bunched up about

Detroitrise

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

However, the NWS says areas along and north of M-59 could easily be looking at a 4+ snowfall with the favorable dynamics. Ice will be the bigger issue when you combine the wind as well around the city. None the less, with 1 inch per hour snowfall rates and a 6 hour all snow precip, that all does add up.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4083
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A solid 10"+ across the northwoods, but an active and interesting weather pattern nonetheless.

Hopefully the snow will target us in time for Christmas.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 48 in Las Vegas and raining, with much snow accumulation in the surrounding mountains.

Global warming my butt.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 921
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, you're saying that in Vegas, but we're in Michigan. Snows aren't even snows now a days. We didn't even have a white Christmas last year. Something's definitely going on in the atmosphere. Maybe it's related to 12/21/2012?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2332
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, I can remember when we had goofy weather back in 1947 or so. My late grandmother would shake her head and solemnly declare, "It's the atomic bomb!". She swore by it.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've found this formula to be the most accurate: take the minimum amount of snow they are predicting and divide it in half ie: 1-3 inches = count on 1/2 an inch of snow

Detroitrise

Post Number: 922
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I just checked one site that said 15 CM for Detroit. That's about 6 Inches. the TWC says 3-5 inches. This is all before the changeover to Ice remind you.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm guessing 1.5 inches

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't care how much or how bad, I'll be cuddled up and enjoying it.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough of this speculation. I agree with Yooper; we need to hear from Urbanize on this subject.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 928
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not speculation at all.

This system is making all sorts of headline news. Then, even after we're through, the Low wil reincarnate itself into a Nor'Easter. Right now it's producing heavy rain in the SW states. Parts of Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri could see up to an half inch of Ice (enough to cause hefty issues), Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin and Northern Michigan could see up to a Foot of snow. Heck, Detroit and Chicago could see a mixture of all of that, then to end it all with springlike rains.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 945
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-http://forecast.weather.gov/sh owsigwx.php?warnzone=MIZ076&wa rncounty=MIC163&firewxzone=MIZ 076&local_place1=Detroit+MI&pr oduct1=Winter+Weather+Advisory

-http://forecast.weather.gov/sh owsigwx.php?warnzone=MIZ061&wa rncounty=MIC049&firewxzone=MIZ 061&local_place1=Flint+MI&prod uct1=Winter+Storm+Warning

*Winter Weather Advisory For Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor from 6 PM tonight until 10 AM Sunday. 1-2 Inches of SNow with Up to a Quarter Of An Inch Of Ice.

*Winter Storm Warning For Flint ans the Tri Cities From 6 PM tonight until 12 PM Sunday. 5-10 Inches of Snow with a Quarter Inch of Ice Possible.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Detroitrise, but really...we'll wait for Urbanize.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 755
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, where are you? This "Detroitrise" character keeps trying to take you spot..

Oh, wait....

Detroitrise

Post Number: 948
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.a sp?S=7436331&nav=HMO6HMaW

"DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - There could be some tough sledding on the Iowa campaign trail today.

The National Weather Service has posted winter storm and ice warnings across Iowa and several other Midwestern states.

Officials have closed Des Moines airport after a United Airlines plane slid off a taxiway. An airport spokesman says there were 44 passengers on board the Chicago-bound flight, but no one was injured. The airport is expected to be closed until at least mid-afternoon.

Iowa's transportation department says travel is not advised on highways in the central and south-central parts of the state.

Winter storm and ice warnings have also been posted for Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, the eastern Dakotas and northern Michigan. Snow accumulations of up to 16 inches have been forecast for parts of Minnesota."

Detroitrise

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snow has started over here on the eastside and is sticking fast. What about elsewhere?

TWC has bumped their totals up to 2-4 Inches now for the City of Detroit.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 776
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snow dusting so far in the last hour here just east of downtown. My car is slightly covered right now, so are the streets. Looks like flurries at this time.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 957
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/produc ts/md/md2176.html

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3947
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, in that graphic, I assume FZRA stands for freezing rain?

I just went out and lifted the wipers off my windshield. :-)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6846
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! Winter Storm.

Do I just love Michigan.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 958
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Jimaz, and notice how the 1" per hour area curves as far south as the 8 Mile rd. corridor and the Freezing Rain area sort of halts about The Wayne/Washtenaw county border.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.