Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Take that Panhandler! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071129/NEWS02/ 71129024

Seems a bit extreme.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3907
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bernsteins were all over that one like flies on doodies.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 618
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this guy would get off his lazy a and get a job like the rest of us, this would've never happened. This claim he's a Vietnam vet is BS, he's too young. He was 15 in 1973. The Vietnam war was long overwith. Another scammer being aided by a scammer. He'll rake in a few Million, Atty's will get the majority of it and the IRS the rest.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 816
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of all the places to panhandle in this city, I could think of a million better locations than the side door at KFC in HP.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11038
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So KFC is experimenting with Par-Broiled homeless entrees now?

Pretty cutting edge, next thing...Soylent Green?!

Pretty fucking horrible, if it is true. She should get to fry a wee bit herself, and that man should get the chance and all the corporate aide KFC can provide to turn his life around AND GET HER JOB.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zimmerman could not possibly be a Vietnam vet if he is only 50. I am a bit older than that guy, and I just escaped being eligible to go. He would have to be at least 53 or so to have gone to 'Nam.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can a 50 year old be a Vietnam Vet? He was born in 1957, turned 18 in 1975 and the US was out of Nam in March 29, 1973. Even if he signed up in 1974 - at age 17 - he never could have served in Nam. The only troops left in Vietnam where in Saigon guarding the embassy.

I'm sorry anyone would be burned by a KFC employee, but I don't think we are getting the full story.

http://www.vietnamwar.com/time line69-75.htm

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 509
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suspect he's "in his 50's", not 50 years old. Vet or not, 50 or not, nobody deserves that.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3908
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you accusing this victim of lying? He's a vet! And he needs forty-nine cents for bus fare to get back to his apartment in Pontiac. See, his friend was spose' to pick him up, but he didn't show up. Usually he'd have change, but he didn't think he'd need to take the bus.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KFC should give this victim a job, a fat check or all the fried chicken and sides he can stand for the rest of his life.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^lol. too funny!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 822
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I wrong for the wry chuckle that came out when I read this?

Probably.. I'm sowwy.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3909
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they do end up paying him millions, I think it would make a great TV Reality show. The adventure of Homeless Guy turned Millionaire. I'd like to follow him around and see what he does with all that money.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I may find this guy and ask him for bus fare!

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 199
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see Sam Bernstein's kid is following in his daddy's footsteps, chasing ambulances.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Sam? They tried to turn me into Spam!

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All three of his kids have followed in their daddy's footsteps...

Have you seen his commercials lately? He's got them all in it... one of his sons looks a little odd...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really, really sick & tired of panhandlers, but Jesus Christ Almighty, how could anyone do such a thing to another living being of any species. In fact, given the temperatures outside, lately, throwing water of any temp. is cruel.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11044
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met Sam one night on the way out of a client's home in W. Bloomfield.

My client was a doctor who runs a clinic on W. Grand Blvd and Vernor Hwy.

When the door opened and Sam and his wife were there...apparently I got all wide-eyed in disbelief because they all got a really good laugh out of it.

What a juxtaposition. One of Sam's best friends is a doctor. One of my clients best friends is Sam Bernstein. I couldn't believe it!

Gnome

Post Number: 406
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His son Richard is blind and has been blind since birth. He graduated suma cum laude, phi beta kappa from Michigan then went the Northwestern University in Evanston.

In 2002 he was elected to the Wayne State University Board of Governors in 2003 and has been mentioned as a possible democratic candidate for Michigan attorney General in 2010.

here is his bio from the Disabled Athlete Hall of Fame: http://www.adhof.org/famers/bi os/2006bernstein_richard.html

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the commercials. Daughter of Sam gives me the heebejeebees.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the commercials. Daughter of Sam gives me the heebejeebees.

It was always the Son of Sam who scared me.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renfirst, one of the Bernstein sons is blind. But the other one does look odd! lol

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 846
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The adventure of Homeless Guy turned Millionaire. I'd like to follow him around and see what he does with all that money.

Someone already did this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt08 38195/

A film director gave $100,000 to a homeless man and then followed him around with a camera to see what he did with the money. The homeless guy pissed it all away and was homeless again within a few months. He did stupid shit like buying cars for all his friends, and even turned down the offer of FREE services from a financial planner and a financial counselor. He refused to get a job and spent all day playing video games on his new Xbox and all night at the bars.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says h e is a vet, it does not say 'nam, he should have done GHB's war against Saddam, or time in Lebanon.

Gnome

Post Number: 407
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep edited the piece to take out the Vietnam reference. Their reader comment link is filled with folks that pointed out that there is no ay the guy was a 'Nam vet.

That prove that the freep editors actually read their readers' comments.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 414
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The KFC manager shouldn't have thrown boiling hot water on that man, but very, very, very cold water would have sent him a message without harming him.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 703
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sure the customers appreciated the managers response.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was going to Wayne State, there was a guy that used to walk through the McDonald's near campus and his standard line was, "got enough for a cup of coffee?" One time, a friend and I were eating lunch and he came up to us and asked his question. My friend looked at him and said, "I don't know, but I think I'll be ok." Totally perplexed the guy. We called him fang, if I remember correctly.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have known Sam Bernstein for a good 25 years, maybe more, and have tried lawsuits with his firm many times. He is a good guy and has a wonderful family. There are three generations of Bernstein lawyers now. He occupies two pages on Google!
It's his commercials that really turn everyone off. He spends a ton of money on those commercials, both in Michigan and in Illinois and Florida. But they are effective,and therefore he can readily pick out what cases he wants to handle and turn away those that he does not want.
If you ask any of the lawyers who did civil defense work as I did for 36 years, I believe that the vast majority would agree with me. I don't think Sam spends a lot of time in the court room, but he has always had a competent group of attorneys on his staff that do the job and do it well.
Whenever I finished a lawsuit with Sam and sent him the closing papers, I would always end my letter with:
"Sam, you are still the second nicest Jewish lawyer I have ever dealt with". Drives him nuts, even to this day.
I saw him down at the WCCC Mediation dinner a couple of months ago and he still wants to know who is #1.
I'll never tell.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 946
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^The #1 Fast Food Company isn't worried about a few mill. from a franchised location. It's just more icing to the cake.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 947
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck I've heard of worse things happening at KFC's in the city of Detroit. The one on Gratiot and Pennsylvania, the Chef actually came out of the chicken and chased a rat out with his bare hands. That's why the lcoations on Van Dyke and the other one on Gratiot are gone. I'm surprised the one in Pennsylvania isn't gone yet.

If these franchised owners and the corporate themselves were worried about profitability at these locations, they would do better to maintain the cleanliness, satisfaction and service.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 01, 2007)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the Chef actually came out of the chicken

That must've been one big ass chicken

Detroitrise

Post Number: 949
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, I meant Kitchen.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sam, you are still the second nicest Jewish lawyer I have ever dealt with".

So where do the gentile lawyers rank on your list, The_rock?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 628
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "So where do the gentile lawyers rank on your list, The_rock?"

There are "Gentile" lawyers too??

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, I'm sure there might be some Gentile lawyers out there, but neither Gentile nor Jewish lawyers are to be confused with gentle lawyers (I haven't found one of those yet).

I just found it odd that The_rock needed to make the distinction to Sammy B.

Yeti
Username: Yeti

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thread Hijacking...

Anyone know the homeless dude that always outside of the stadiums before the games? The dude that sings "Eat 'em up Tigers, Eat 'em up Lions" and something about "..the wings all the way to the Stanley Cup?"

We were talking about the Transformers movie being filmed down there and got him to sing "Eat 'Em up Megatron"

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1046
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He could have been a Vietnam-era veteran, but he definitely was not "in the schitt."

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that the #1 jewish lawyer would be either Yahweh/God/Jehovah or Moses since they were involved in bringing down the law (10 commandments) from the Mount.

The manager at the KFC had no business throwing scalding water on the bum outside her door. Would she do that to a dog? and if she did, what would the public reaction to that be. Bums are a drag but they can be ignored.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 938
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, here is a photo of a panhandler from one of my travels:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/101_79 21.jpg?t=1196636776
This shot only cost a buck.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 654
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there a "Pic of the day" type site with pictures of Detroit's homeless? I don't remember the name, but it was pretty interested. Anyone have a link?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6853
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The po'folk is getting rich thanks to that KFC incident.

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV's story on this:

Homeless Man Claims Burned By KFC Manager

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, Detroitrise
That reminded me of a t-shirt slogan I saw once. It said, "Want to get laid? Crawl up a chicken's ass and wait"

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curious as to why Bulletmagnet indicated that the photo was for me to see.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.