Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What Constitutes Sufficient Homeless Donation? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having lived/worked in New York City for 33 years, you become accustomed to being "greeted" by innumerable homeless people every five minutes. You could not possibly give each one a monetary donation - so I decided that $1 per day to 1 person would be my limit. Sure, you could make that 25 cents to 4 different people a day - but I decided $1 was my limit.

Living in Michigan, working in Detroit, I've kept to my $1 per day limit - but I've found that the homeless people in Detroit are far more aggressive at asking for money - many times following me, or presenting an in-your-face attitude.

I've since decided to just avoid any money giving on the street at all just to avoid these confrontations.

What experiences and advice have others to add?

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note: I do concede that since NYC has many more people on the street which would allow panhandlers many more opportunities to get donations and as such not need to be AS aggressive (Supply/Demand) as their Detroit peers who have slimmer prospects with the fewer pedestrians about town. But if you're going to scare off those few who do give money, then it'll be even more difficult for them to get a quarter from passersby.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I generally avoid all direct donations to panhandlers, in hopes of discouraging the practice.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10893
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donate to the shelters and other charitable organizations as opposed to the panhandlers directly. It is a nice gesture but I prefer my charitable dollars going to feed, shelter, cloth people as opposed to potentially going to drugs or liquor.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with 1953 and Jt1.

PLUG: If you are Catholic, hit the poor box at the back of church. It goes directly to your church's St. Vincent de Paul organization...which has 0 overhead costs.
Immediate needs are addressed for local people.

The drugs and alcohol issue is addressed through food vouchers (which are not able to be used for drugs or alcohol).

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I encounter homeless people asking for money all the time.
I just tell them that it's "too tight"...."Ain't got it."

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11025
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually will quiz them to see if they are aware of the aid options available to them. Where they can get food, shelter, and other less-tanglble aid.

Some are really impressed with my desire to help...most give one of a few pat responses I'm now used to, and I then go onwards away and don't look back. I will give to those who graciously accept my queries, and give freely to a few regulars around town like Shoeless Mike...that foot-free dread in the wheelchair with the dazzling eyes. I still think he's an angel in disguise.

I love the ones who recognize an easy mark, and press for MORE when you give them SOME. I recently took my buck BACK from a guy here in the Market who pestered me...he probably puts that shit DIRECTLY into his pocket nowadays.

Haven't seen him around...

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A strategically placed cigarette behind the ear can easily be handed over in lieu of change. Just be prepared to light it as well. Then again, considering the cost of smokes.........

What I've never seen here that I've found in other cities is the mobil shoe shine homeless dude. For all proceeding pan-handlers one only need point at the shiny footwear and quickly explain they just gave money for a shine. They know who got the money. If they still pester you, back to the cigarette.......

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 609
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My attitude is "There but for the grace of God go I." I donate to the Open Door Program at Fort Street Presbyterian Church where people can get some real help with their situation.
http://www.fortstreet.org/Open %20Door/overview.html

I never give money on the street because, I believe, that just subsidizes the person's drug/alcohol abuse problems. When asked for money, I look the person in the eye and reply, "Thank you, sir (or ma'am); but not today." And I just keep on walking. That ends to conversation. Rarely ever am I further hassled.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 395
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually say "Go F yourself!"

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 423
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I give them the buck. There is a one in a million chance that they will put it to good use but I also buy lottery tickets. The chances that my lottery ticket will hit is even lower than that.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 594
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I generally carry granola bars in my bag, and if I am asked for money for food they get a granola bar. I never have too many takers, but that way I know that they won't have to go hungry maybe just thirsty.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shoeless Mike", or Wheelchair Mike lives with his sister. He isn't a homeless "angel". He's an alcoholic with no feet.

Gannon

Post Number: 11031
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

You have talked with him? How close are you to this situation?!

Have you ever listened to him?

Welcome!

Nainrouge

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living with your sister does not necessarily mean much. There are many "couch surfers" who are dependent on the goodwill of others (or landlords who don't know that they are there) for their housing and can be out on the street again at a moments notice.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've known Mike for the past 10 years. I know his story. And thanks for the welcome.

I never said he doesn't "suffer". But I wouldn't consider him homeless. He has a place to go.

(Message edited by rax on November 29, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 11034
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very cool. Thanks.

You're welcome for the thanks for the welcome.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2668
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to give money to panhandlers. It made me feel good.

At some point I became more aware of how I was directly contributing to the demise of many panhandlers by funding their addictions and enabling them to keep from getting the real help they needed.

Around the same time my employer "volunteered" me to run their annual United Way campaign. I found out about COTS (the Coalition on Temporary Shelter) and allocated my UW payroll deductions directly to them. They provide homeless people with what they really need, not handouts to enable their addictions.

I think to be truly compassionate you have to be extremely careful about who you give money to directly. Unless you know their full back story it's more responsible to donate to a legitimate charity like COTS, HAVEN or St. Vincent de Paul or the like. You'll feel better knowing you didn't just contribute to someone's alcohol/crack fund.

Gannon

Post Number: 11037
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, 'cuz it takes such a dent out of MY alcohol/crack funds.

heh

Couldn't resist, sorry. I agree with you totally, Track75.

I just cannot refuse sometimes...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax:
"Shoeless Mike", or Wheelchair Mike lives with his sister. He isn't a homeless "angel". He's an alcoholic with no feet."

I met a guy a few years ago on the bus that was in a wheelchair and had no feet.
His name is Maurice. ?(same guy?)? Says that he got frostbite and his feet had to be amputated.
He also has a bum shoulder from sleeping crouched on his elbow.
[(bum shoulder :-) pardon the pun)]

Gannon

Post Number: 11043
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hadn't put the two together before now...back in 1987-8 I was an active member of that dirty brown church on Edward at Woodward in Brush Park.

One Sunday a man came in with severe frostbite looking for help. I'd never heard someone moan the way he did, if I remember correctly he was not able to even get into our front door!

Our usual lame-ass response was to make them sit through the service before we helped them.

I broke policy for this fellow, because it was very obvious he needed emergency help immediately. Caught some heck for it when I got back, as they didn't have anyone who could run the soundboard...I remember some shock when I stood my ground.

I don't know what happened to THAT man, and unless Michael/Maurice didn't have dreads then it isn't him in my fuzzy photo-memory, but I'd like a follow-up on how many amputations they have to provide for these situations.

I remember now, my guy was simultaneously frostbit to black skin AND scalded by the roadgrate steam...it was one of the most horrible things I'd ever seen.

I never have asked Michael what happened to his feet, I assumed diabetes exacerbated from alcoholism...although since his eyes aren't damaged, nor obviously his capacity for philosophy and theosophy...in retrospect I should've thought about frostbite.

Cheers and thanks for the followups.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I generally give money to Church/shelters, but have, on various occasions, walked out of Pizzapapolis with a couple left over containers, and handed them off to the first person who said they were hungry. To my pleasant surprise, one guy was really, genuinely greatful.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't run across a panhandler here in Vegas in years. Of course, I don't patronize downtown LV either, where most of them are. Once in a great while there'll be one at a freeway exit ramp, but they're not aggressive and ez to ignore.

Most of my local charity donations go to "Safe Nest", a home and new start for victims of domestic violence.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to tell those annoying beggars that I only give out money direct deposit.
Then I ask them for their bank account number and say that I'd be happy to deposit 100 bucks.
hehe.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like early phishing techniques!...don't forget to ask for their password.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I was in Vegas last week and I saw several bums...one was occupying the bench in front of the Courtyard hotel... he didn't ask for money though...it was just kind of sad.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1725
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember in Chicago once this guy had stopped all of us drunken young adults coming out of the store of liquors and asked bluntly "Now listen to me, I am going to need all of your change." "Can I have all of your change?" "All of it." I was shocked and pissed at the same time because the day earlier one of my friends claimed he had given this same guy like 5 bucks. And the guy asked for ALL OF OUR CHANGE, it was like that South Park episode coming true. That hardened me a lot so now I don't give shit unless they're limbless or I'll simply ask do they take credit card and walk away laughing.

Nainrouge

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you find it necessary to laugh at them and make fun of them? Can't you just say "No, sorry not today" and walk away? Does it give you a thrill to humiliate them?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 529
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nain - "humiliation" may be interpreted as tit-for-tat. Constant and aggressive invasions of one's space and privacy warrant coping mechanisms. I don't advocate going out of ones way to be a comedian, but then I wouldn't annoy the crap out of you if (say) you declined to give me a light or ask you for a light if the previous 364 days you had declined.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go the granola bar route when I lived in Toronto. (also plenty of pan handlers)

If i'm feeling especially good willed I'll buy them some food.

But no money, I don't think that helps.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the "help the homeless" speil yesterday outside the coneys downtown and was in a good mood, so I took the guy inside to get him a coney. He added a Coke to my offer, insisted that it be "in a can," and gave some other orders. The guy behind the counter responded with "aren't you gonna say 'thank you' to her?"
I don't think it would've dawned on him otherwise.
Oh well. I told them all Merry Christmas and went on my way. Unless he overstayed his welcome and bugged the other customers, no harm done there.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i can agree with Detroitpetanque's comparison between new york and detroit panhandlers.

example: the dozens of people i pass on a daily basis on my way to class in manhattan. most ask, but will let you be if you don't have anything, can't give anything, or offer directions to various supportive organizations. this contrasted by a late night trip to lafayette coney island while home for thanksgiving. our car was approached by 4 or 5 panhandlers as we pulled up and followed towards the restaurant. again, as we were leaving, they continued and persisted from door to door, at one point one woman was standing between the open door and the car seat.

it really does make you wonder what causes this difference. i think that an answer like the number of people is too easy. by that reasoning, you could say that by a comparable percentage, there are thus more homeless/panhandlers in new york based on a higher population. maybe it could be less resources or knowledge available to those in need.

i remember a campaign that the new york MTA ran in subways and on buses a couple of years ago. it said that if you noticed someone panhandling or sleeping in the subway or on a bus, to let an MTA employee know, and they would contact some city organization that would help them get to a shelter or soup kitchen. i don't know how often that scenario actually happened (as opposed to cops kicking them out), but it had to help some get a warm meal and bed.

i am away from detroit 8 months out of the year, so i don't know if there is any similar campaign or program there. does anyone know of any?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.