Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Victor bakery-coney since 1921 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victor St. off Woodward in Highland Park. The best mini-sweet potato pies I HAVE EVER TASTED! There is more filling than crust and they arent too sweet. Apparently the bakery has been there for over 40 years. Too bad there isnt a counter to sit at..The Red Hot Coney island has been there since 1921, has lots of character with booths and what appears to be the original counter with stools. The food I had was decent, but the coney was on the filthy side. The owner is a tough rough and gruff looking but amicable man who was more than happy to explain the history of his restaurant-same family has owned the place since 1921. He sat playing cards and joking with an employee as he chatted with me. Give the place a good cleaning it may have some potential to do a good afternoon business. The bakery and coney border an industrial composed of small shops.
Top of pageBottom of page

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The original counter was on the left hand side before Red Hots expanded and doubled in size and put in a new counter in the 60's.

Victor Bakery worked out of a garage a half block east before moving to their current location.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.