Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Woodward Talk article on e-Prize « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3892
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Woodward Talk

quote:

PLEASANT RIDGE - As his business partner Dan Gilbert moves his Quicken Loans headquarters to downtown Detroit, ePrize founder and CEO Josh Linkner says he has no immediate plans to follow suit with his Pleasant Ridge-based interactive promotions agency.

"We are very happy in our current space - we have room to grow, several years on our lease and no intention of leaving," Linkner said last week.

That's not to say a move isn't on the horizon, especially given the reported 638 percent growth the company experienced in three short years. Linkner said some-thing's going to have to give if the company keeps it up.

"(Moving downtown) is something we are considering, but we are considering a lot of things," Linkner said, offering another option of staying put and constructing an addition to his building. "Ultimately, we will outgrow our facility and we'll need to figure out what to do next. Certainly we would consider Detroit as one of those options. But we're not actively looking at space or anything."

Pleasant Ridge City Manager Sherry Ball was relieved to hear that ePrize was staying put.

"I was concerned about the rumors," Ball said. "I was surprised and hoping that it was not true."

EPrize was formed in 1999, and in 2005 Linkner moved the company's headquarters and its then-80 employees to Pleasant Ridge from Farmington Hills.

Now, with a total of 350 employees working out of Chicago, Dallas, London, Los Angeles and New York City, 300 individuals work out of the Pleasant Ridge office. And that number is expected to continue increasing.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3893
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try to link.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-sear ch/we/Archives?p_action=doc&p_ docid=11D34A39DD404030&p_docnu m=1&s_dlid=DL01071128230733137 61&s_ecproduct=SUB-FREE&s_ecpr odtype=INSTANT&s_subterm=Subsc ription%20until%3A%2012%2F31%2 F2015%2011%3A59%20PM&s_subexpi res=12%2F31%2F2015%2011%3A59%2 0PM&s_username=cgpfree&s_accou ntid=AC0106122119130516735&s_u pgradeable=no

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 875
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will be coming too. It was already a given. Josh is just trying to build up the suspense like Dan Gilbert was.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you know Josh? Have you ever worked for Josh? Have you ever worked with Josh? Have you ever done a deal with Josh? Have you ever even met Josh? Have you ever even seen Josh? Do you know anybody that works there? Have you ever been to the HQ? Have you ever even seen the HQ? Have you ever done anything that would even remotely qualify you to make the statement that you just made?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3895
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's his opinion, his hunch. Nothing wrong with that.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John please explain eprize to me. Is it like an ad agency or something? The company 'does promotions'? What does eprize promote?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you know Josh? Have you ever worked for Josh? Have you ever worked with Josh? Have you ever done a deal with Josh? Have you ever even met Josh? Have you ever even seen Josh? Do you know anybody that works there? Have you ever been to the HQ? Have you ever even seen the HQ? Have you ever done anything that would even remotely qualify you to make the statement that you just made?"

Thanks Johnlodge. Dabirch, you don't have to be an asshole because of my opinion on the subject.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a fair question. If you're convinced this a given, then answering what your opinion was based on shouldn't be problem.

(Message edited by eric on November 28, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3921
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.candgnews.com/Homep age-Articles/2007/11-14-07/FF- EPRIZE.asp

Detroitrise

Post Number: 882
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He says a move is on the horizon. He's also considering it. I never said when in any of my posts though. My opinion is that he will be moving downtown in the future.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, that's the exact same thing Dan Gilbert and Peter Karmanos did before they moved.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3101
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope he isn't joshing us

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4070
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry, Detroitrise, some people don't mistake your confidence and candor with real, accountable, well-document researched.

Should each poster on this forum be held to the standards of the New York Times?

Eprize may locate in the mixed use development-"incubator" thingy that Gilbert plans for the alternate site he does't build his HQ on.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Ray Township will try to lure them now that they're the "big city". ;)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 461
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TerryH (apologies Johnlodge, I saw it and believe I know the answer)

E-Prize's big speciality (although almost all interactive companies dabble and do work in other areas) is online promotions, contests, advergames (a very hot market currently) and giveaways.

Sometimes they head the projects; but from what I know, they usually work with the agency of record for accounts and companies, as their speciality is complicated as it has lots of legal requirements and some specific technical requirements that the core agency or company just don't want to deal with.

I don't see E-Prize moving any time soon. If it does happen, it'll be after Quicken is settled in. And yes, Linkner will play the D card for the press. I'd do the same thing too - if the harmless suspense gets reporters to cover you and mention your company, you should do it. Free advertising.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is very interesting. I happen to know a very high ranking senior quicken exec. A few months ago at a party, I begged him to tell me if they were moving downtown. "No," he said, "It's just not going to happen." I was totally bummed and convinced that this move was going to fall apart.

Now, I'm really puzzled. Maybe the head guy keeps things to himself. Maybe he changed his mind at the last minute. Maybe there's a sort of benign conspiracy among the top execs not to divulge their plans. It's certainly an unpredictable group!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10892
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I was concerned about the rumors," Ball said. "I was surprised and hoping that it was not true

Heaven forbid she contact him. If Kwame makes a comment like this people are all over him for how stupid he is.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure E-Prize isn't getting the tax incentives to justify breaking their lease and moving to the D...

It would be nice though to see them bring their company downtown... from what I hear, it's an exciting place to work...

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 6:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Should each poster on this forum be held to the standards of the New York Times?"

Mackinaw, when was the last time that the New York Times was held to a standard of any kind?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3896
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they have a "few more years" left on their lease, of course they aren't going anywhere yet. Plus it will be at least a few more years before Quicken moves. Could be he figures there's no reason to get his employees or Pleasant Ridge all in a huff about it so long before it is necessary.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4073
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, Mafia. You get my figure of speech, though.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only rumors I know aboot ePrize are from people who have worked there or are now working there. And those rumors are that ePrize is a sweatshop. Work there only if you like working long hours, in a fast paced environment, for mediocre wages.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on two or three interviews there and was forced to sit through interrogations from no fewer than five people, all of whom wanted to be assured that I was a "raving fan," a term that made my skin crawl. I think "raving fan" was supposed to mean "rabid with enthusiasm" i.e., what spacemonkey says. I was relieved when they never offered me a job. Although it was pretty close to my house. They have work parties at the Emory sometimes and the place becomes a total sausage fest. A "raving fan" sausage fest.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.