Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Insults fly at Detroit council meeting « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why am I not surprised to see Conyers in the middle of this?

Insults fly at Detroit council meeting
Monica Conyers has words with Sheila Cockrel
November 28, 2007

By ZACHARY GORCHOW

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A disagreement between two Detroit city councilmembers turned nasty today when Councilmember Sheila Cockrel chided Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers for allowing another member to speak longer than council rules allow during a portion of the day’s meeting.

After Councilmember JoAnn Watson spoke for longer than two minutes during Member Reports, Cockrel said she objected to Watson exceeding the time limit and accused her of grandstanding.

Advertisement

Conyers, temporarily chairing the meeting because Council President Ken Cockrel Jr. had momentarily stepped away, explained that she, as the interim president, had given Watson a point of privilege to make her remarks even though they exceeded two minutes.

Cockrel then muttered something that prompted a tense retort from Conyers.

“Did you say something about a bar? Because you drink a lot at the bar when I see you,” Conyers said.

Shortly before taking office, Conyers got into a physical altercation at a Detroit bar. Police said she acted in self-defense.

When Ken Cockrel returned to the council table, he sought to restore order and commented that it only took him leaving for five minutes for an argument to develop.

That prompted Conyers to say: “It’s not that serious. Drunks always have got something to say.”

Conyers then went on to accuse some councilmembers of taking her actions personally instead of seeing them as business decisions. She said it could drive her to file a complaint with the city’s Human Relations department for creating a hostile work environment.

“If you don’t want to conduct business at this table, then I think you may need to consider another job,” she said.

Sheila Cockrel made no further comments during the meeting. She was not immediately available for comment afterward.

During the business portion of the meeting, Sheila Cockrel announced that her appointee to the city’s troubled Property Assessment Board of Review, vice chair Clifton Williams, had resigned.

The board is under internal and criminal investigation for allegedly granting property tax exemptions to persons who made too much money to qualify for a hardship exemption. Two other appointees previously had been removed. Conyers announced today that she would allow her appointee to serve the remainder of the year, but would replace her in January when new terms begin.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071128/NEWS01/ 71128036

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These immature, juvenile outbursts by elected officials just drag Detroit's image deeper down the drain.

Terrible. Just terrible.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That woman annoys me so much.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2869
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So uncivilized. What an embarrassment.

Congrats to the citizens of Detroit. I hope this is what you wanted because this is what you're getting by electing these jokers to represent you.

unfuckingbelieveable

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hard to criticize L Brooks when this stuff happens

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10883
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers is an embassassment.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

agreed, but at least they're not bombing Iraq. Wards anyone?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 459
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another great gem.

When will some people realize that they're leaders - and that there is a proper decorum and example that they need to set as leaders of this city?

Council elections are a popularity/name recognition play, not an issues one.

Unfortunately, for the average voter, the 9 member system is just overwhelming. I know plenty of Detroiters of many political persuasions on opposing sides who only really like 3 or 4 (or sometimes 2), but felt they need to fill up the whole ballot and that's just by who they know.

My mom woulda smacked both of them upside the head for their behavior. However, it's the same stuff that happens in Warren and other places.

Detroit has the biggest population, is a black run city, and is perceived as completely broken - so it gets more ink. I've seen this kinda stuff everywhere, it's just not publicized as much.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3887
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TJ, you're not reaching the ears of the people actually voting these people in by saying it on this forum. I doubt many forumers vote for these clowns.

Detroitpetanque
Username: Detroitpetanque

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps they should be paid part-time wages; and only meet in online live chat forums...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2872
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL:

yeah, well, they need to hear it too.

There are enough of them here who support and defend Kwame when no other major city in America would even think of hiring him to pick up their trash, much less run their city, so I doubt they are ALL anti-city council.

Many seem to have this perception of the mayor that he's not that great, but not that bad either. This is because they've never experienced real leadership.

I suspect their thoughts towards city council are similar.

PS: And if I may preempt Jt1, yes, I'm generalizing, and that includes you buddy.

(Message edited by thejesus on November 28, 2007)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hour Detroit has a story in this month's issue on the initiative to switch to a ward system for city council elections. It alluded that something could be on the ballot as soon as next year I think.

This year's council is a step up from the previous ones. I don't think anyone from this council has been indicted yet and they seem less prone to foolish outbursts and grandstanding. A low bar I know, but it's still better than what we had and more civil than a number of other Metro Detroit councils. For the most part, it seems Ken Cockrel has run a tighter ship this term than past city council presidents. I guess it helps that there are fewer fools this time around. Now if we can only get rid of those clowns, and no I'm not talking about Kwame.

Kjwick
Username: Kjwick

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who cares. must be a slow day of news.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares?

Who cares that the leaders of this city are stupid, dimwitted embarrassments who cannot behave in a civilized manner?

Who cares that the majority of voters of this city are content with this kind of circus representing them, and thus identify with them?

Who cares that these are the people making decisions about the city's future, ensuring that progress remains slow?

The people who live here and suffer under this, that's who cares. The people who try to make the city better or wish for a better future, then see this and realize it's largely hopeless when imbeciles like this are in charge. Those are the people who are bothered by this.

But who cares, right?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9978
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only wish our council (Windsor) was divided like this. At the very least it shows some sort of passion.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Passion? An enraged drunk shows passion. A murderer shows passion. When someone runs a city I'd rather see deliberate, rational thought. Passion implies emotion over intellect.

The city's leaders have shown plenty of passion. Look around at the results.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11011
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or extreme selfishness...self passion.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not the least bit shocked when I have sat in on council there is always name calling and accusations being thrown around. I am amazed that this is the first time it is making it into the paper.

Pennst8
Username: Pennst8

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

......Look at some of the people who were elected, and there you have your reason.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I am not the least bit shocked when I have sat in on council there is always name calling and accusations being thrown around. I am amazed that this is the first time it is making it into the paper.

It's not the first time... Remember the fight between Sharon McPhail and Kay Everett?

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 872
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone notices that when a issue with City Council comes up, it always involves JoAnn Watson?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 960
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can be difficult to get an accurate read on these spats when you only get third hand reports. What was really said? What was the tone? We likely won't get the video on Comcast 10. The videotape is probably being snipped out as we speak, er type.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll stick up for you, Monica. No one seems to come forward in your defense.
So I will go on record as saying I like you better than your husband.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adolescent-immature behaviour on the part of adults permeates all levels of our society today. Suburban politicians-overzealous soccer moms and dads: it happens in all cities.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone relax these 9 people will help change detroit in to the city of the future. shitty leadership = shitty city

any questions

Hockey_player

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Adolescent-immature behaviour on the part of adults permeates all levels of our society today. Suburban politicians-overzealous soccer moms and dads: it happens in all cities."

That statement is absolutely false. Check out the councils in Sterling Heights, St. Clair Shores or Ferndale, the Royal Oak City Commission or any of the township boards, with rare exceptions like Warren. They are models of decorum, cooperation and friendliness where rational discussion takes place in calm tones.

The Detroit City Council is simply a circus of trashy behavior, and no amount of kneejerk relativism changes that fact.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City councils are not noted for being sensible. In most municipalities, the individual members don't have much responsibility or authority, so they spend their time posturing and quarreling.

In systems where there is an separate executive (mayor or strong city manager) the main value of city councils is to provide some oversight of the executive and his appointees. Occasionally it appears the Detroit council does that, but it isn't easy for councils to do this, because the mayor controls whatever goodies there are, and has a lot of leverage over the council members. Probably the Detroit council could be more effective, but ineffectiveness is the usual situation, nothing specific to Detroit.

The result is that if you elect a good mayor, you tend to get good governance, and if you elect a bad mayor, you tend to get bad governance, independent of what sort of people you have on the council.

Personally I would favor a district/ward based council rather than the current at-large council, but I am not of the opinion that the change would make a lot of difference.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 961
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the Detroit council meetings on cable TV in Detroit?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Channel 10 on Comcast.

Hockey_player

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "City councils are not noted for being sensible."

That is a baseless generalization. Noted by whom, exactly? Was there some definitive study somewhere asserting this blanket statement? Because Detroit's council is absurd, you conclude that this is a law applying to all cities everywhere?

Again, relativism does nothing but attempt to mitigate the fact that the City Council is an embarrassment to the city and the voters who choose these people.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The council is filled with a bunch of (pardon my french) bitchy middle aged women who had no business getting elected in the first place so these little squabbles aren't surprising. I would love for once to see a council filled with members who got elected for their individual merits instead of because of name recognition and race baiting. But thats is wishful thinking.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these women are past middle age.

(Message edited by michigansheik on November 28, 2007)

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This year's council is a step up from the previous ones. I don't think anyone from this council has been indicted yet and they seem less prone to foolish outbursts and grandstanding. A low bar I know, but it's still better than what we had and more civil than a number of other Metro Detroit councils. For the most part, it seems Ken Cockrel has run a tighter ship this term than past city council presidents. I guess it helps that there are fewer fools this time around. Now if we can only get rid of those clowns, and no I'm not talking about Kwame.

I agree, I have more issue with a few individual members not council as a whole. As a group I can't they've made decisions that I thought stupid.

Rob_in_warren
Username: Rob_in_warren

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric,

I agree. Warren's city council was must see TV about 5-10 years ago. We had name calling, crowd outbursts, federal investigations....

The above is a disgrace for Detroit. These people are paid well to represent the city and it's interests. They should always be a positive reflection of the good people they serve.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what is it, city council members shouldn't be women? Or they shouldn't be middle aged?

What's the preferred gender and age group?

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's truly amazing that these people were elected to run a major city.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's like being left with only rotten apples to choose from

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They weren't elected to run the city. The Mayor and his administration "run the city". Council is there to set policy and provide oversight, not manage the day-to-day operations of the city. I can't speak to their qualifications to do so but Council isn't supposed to be made up of city administrators.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 491
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: Did Channel 10 edit out most of the conflict last night?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.