Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What became of "The Festival of Trees"? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to support this annual charity event that was held at Cobo ever holiday season by Childrens Hospital. When I called the hospital community affairs (or some such dept) no one could tell me if this event is still. I ended up speaking to someone at Compuware who said they thought the event was held around the ice rink there. I never got a call back on this. For years I bought raffle tickets to support this event. Does anyone know what the status is of said event?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's at the Compuware HQ this year. Check the Festival of Trees website.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It surely is at the CompuWare HQ building. We stopped by on Sunday afternoon. Had a nice chat with Santa!!

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's in the lobby of Compuware. It opened on the 17th. Free and open to the public.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wraps up Dec. 2nd. NIce way to finish off an evening skate along with a beverage from the HRC.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have worked on Festival of Trees for several years. The last 2 years it's been held in the lobby of Compuware. Mr. Karmanos graciously gave us the space for free. The event has been downsized considerably, but is still a fundraiser for Children's Hospital of Detroit.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 832
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to hear that this event is back in Detroit. I thought that it moved to the Rock Financial showplace out in scummy Novi?

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 812
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the festval of trees in other cities interconnected? Growing up in Lansing, one of the highlights of December was going to the 'festival of trees' at the Lansing Center. Just curious if this is a wider event than I had thought.

9936sussex

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The event was held in Novi one year (I think in 2005). The Rock Financial facility was (in my opinion) just too big, too ugly for FOT. It's location seemed to be too far for a lot of people to visit. I think the economy has really affected charitable events such as this. I hope FOT continues...I have really enjoyed participating in it. The FOT isn't related to any other fund raiser--but I know that at one time the organizers from the different cities would get together and share ideas.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1914
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Walter P. Chrysler museum in Auburn Hills is having their annual "Cars, Trees and Traditions" exhibit going on now-until December 30th.
I'll post a separate topic on this with links.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FOT was a yearly event for my family and I, it was a lot of fun. We haven't gone the past few years, but we did like it being at cobo...

9936sussex

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of people liked it at Cobo, unfortunately for the FOT people it was a real pain. The unions made it very expensive (remember it's a non-profit and charity) and were not very nice to a lot of us that worked it. But I think the location was beautiful, and I always loved looking at the river when the trees were all decorated and it felt so "Christmasy".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.